AVS Forum banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 20 of 52 Posts

·
Premium Member
7,235 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I know this should probably go in the screens forum, but since these are the PJs for such a screen...

A little birdie told me about this new screen material called Prismatec by Vutec. http://vutec.com/index2.htm (click on Whats New, then click through to the PDF).

Apparently, the gain on the sample was 8 (!) and I believe the comment was 'like watching a giant plasma screen' and 'you can almost leave all your lights on.' Also, apparently no more hotspotting than a firehawk, and off axis viewing at least as good. Supposedly cost will not be out of line.

Only downside is that it's currently for fixed installs only, not retractable :(

I still love my firehawk, but I'm excited to see what this thing can do...

TM

·
Registered
12,276 Posts
Let's hope that it comes out for more selection. They have offered similar screen specs in the past that have not come to pass.

We'll keep our fingers crossed.

Thanks!

·
Registered
859 Posts
Did you mean the Silver Star? The Prismatec is rear projection. I only ask because you compare it to a Firehawk. There has been some talk of the Silver Star around here in the past. I could have sworn that Alan said it was going to be like $60/sq. ft. Not cheap, but not outrageous either.

·
Registered
12,276 Posts
Holy moly! My bad! You are absolutely correct. Firehawk is front projection only. I was not referring to the Silverstar, though. Vutec had something come out last year that was a super contrast, super high gain with no hotspotting and no color shift. It never really came to pass. That's all.

Thanks!

·
Registered
859 Posts
No, my fault Jason, I was referring to anthonymoody, not you. I was wondering if he meant the Silver Star, not the Prismatec. They are both on the same page of the .pdf download from Vutec.

·
Registered
27,144 Posts
If it's not perf-able, it is not a Firehawk killer. - just an alternative.

JEff

·
Registered
9,769 Posts
"This flat, front-projection screen achieves high gain, high contrast, and color purity in ambient light. Available in gains of 4.5, 6.0 and 9.5. Sizes from 48†high to 96†wide. (60†x 120†available in August 2002) These screens can be multiplexed to form theater sized screens. Ideal for P.O.P., trade shows, visual merchandising, museums, airports and wherever your imagination can go. Picture detail jumps out at you because of the high gains. With this type of performance there is no need to reduce brightness in order to achieve high contrast and high black levels. There is minimal need for light control as it can be viewed with ambient lighting. "

I just called Vutec and price for 60" x 120" is ~$3500 and It's seamless. I will be getting a sample and report back. If this thing is for real It WILL be my next home theater purchase! They only sell the 6.0 gain.

·
Registered
4,720 Posts
Quote:
Originally posted by anthonymoody

Apparently, the gain on the sample was 8 (!) and I believe the comment was 'like watching a giant plasma screen' and 'you can almost leave all your lights on.' Also, apparently no more hotspotting than a firehawk, and off axis viewing at least as good.
Anthony,

This doesn't make sense.

A gain of 8, but with the off axis response of a 1.35 gain Firehawk??

Screens don't create energy - so screen "gain" is really redirection of the off axis light. The off axis response

has to go down with increasing gain.

This looks like the work of some over-zealous ad copy writer rather than an accurate representation of the product.

Dr. Gregory Greenman

Physicist

·
Registered
4,735 Posts
Quote:
Originally posted by Morbius
Screens don't create energy
You didn't see the little bicycle in the background that you have to pedal while you watch the movie :)

I talked to Don Stewart at CEDIA and he would really like to see Vutec explain how the physics work with all their claims. If they can really get more energy out than in, then they're in the wrong business. They also had a claim about their screen having a built-in contrast ratio of 70:1. None of us could figure out what that meant and asking at the booth didn't get me an answer that made any sense to me. However, I was pretty impressed from looking at their screens. Whites were definitely bright, though.

--Darin

·
Premium Member
4,708 Posts
Not necessarily so Greg (except for the "Screens don't create energy" part. I've had a sample of the "SilverStar" for about 5 months now. The gain is real for #6g and of course the gain drop's as the angle increases but it's a fairly wide angle, much better than the HiPower 2.8 as best I can tell with the small 16" x 12" sample.

This rigid material is for real and not too many issues to discredit it, i.e. sparklies, sharp cone arn't there that I can see.. !

·
Registered
1,395 Posts
It's possible they have developed a device which creates energy.

When I was in grade school, my best friend told me that he had designed a perpetual motion machine. The only thing standing between him and unimaginable riches and power was his lazy parents. They wouldn't give him a ride to the hardware store to buy parts to build it.

·
Registered
6,092 Posts
It is not a mater of creating energy it is "simply" a matter of channeling it back to the viewer.

A perfect mirror would have extremely high gain but horrible hot-spotting.

A 6.0+ gain screen is possible because the actual viewing cone people watch from is very small (relatively speaking). It is extremely difficult but the trick is taking as much light wasted off-axis and channel back to the viewers in a unobjectionable unitform fashion.

I think it is a combination of good engineering and exagerration in their gain numbers. So for that I both applaud and boo their achievement.

-Mr. Wigggles

Ps. If you guys are talking about the Silver Star, I heard it was VERY expensive.

·
Registered
1,260 Posts
The proof will be in the shipped item. Time will tell. Wait, according to their site, they should already be out there. Hasn't anyone seen these?

·
Registered
9,769 Posts
I just got off the phone with Don Stewart. He says it's the greatest screen he's ever seen.

·
Registered
121 Posts
Isn't it possible that the material is highly directional? That is, the left to right viewing angle is still acceptable, but the up and down angle is severly limited? They wouldn't be gaining overall versus other screens, just redirecting light that would have been wasted vertically. I do realize this effect would have to be limited to account for typical projector offsets, but they could get away with it to some degree. Perhaps other screens already do this as well. I haven't checked out the latest in screens in a while.

Just a thought-

Chris

·
Premium Member
4,708 Posts
I'm getting confused here :)

What Vutec screen are we talking about ? The front or rear projection ? If it's the front "Lumenstar" like screen (Silver Star) then pull the "little birdie's" tail feathers and have him relay though Anthony.

Tryg it's ok if you a few word's about the Lumenstar for us. That one's really terrific and super expensive last I heard. All I know is the Vutec Silverstar is NOT the same technology as the "LumenStar" with the exception their both rigid and can't be rolled.

·
Registered
6,227 Posts
I seem to recall some pics from Peter of samples of this... They were talking about 3 different gains (all huge) IIRC 4.5, 6, and 8 or so but had issues with seams on large sizes and cost....

Basically its show us the sample time... With gains that large if the viewing angle could be suitable using color filters to work on your CR's to the best ability (which usually robs some, to a lot of brightness) and then adding it back with the screen would be a better overall image (brighter and higher CR)...

Plus we will finally be able to weld JHouse's retina's firmly in place with that 2200 lumen PJ and a 8x gain screen....

I have been meaning to post this same thread in the screens forum for a while now since hearing and being very curious about it...

I would feel it may do horrific things to black levels of PJ's that are not up to snuff on that front, but a hint of backlighting... A bit of color filtering for improved projector CR but lower brightness... Its all about options... Plus it would be one of those factors that really appeals to the masses... A HUGE plasma like brightness does have a simple basic attraction....

Show us the samples !!!!

·
Registered
935 Posts
Why all the skepticism? I have a screen that can do all of those things. In fact I watched several movies on it last nite. What an experience!

Now the nite didn't start out that great. The ice storm has been knocking over trees and cutting power. When that happened to me last nite I had to rumage through the garage and dust off the cold fusion mahine I invented several years ago to power up my PJ. Funny thing is, this morning I noticed two weird afteraffects. First, the lead shield on the cold fusion machine turned to gold (the alchemists were right) and I had a bit of a sunburn. I'm not sure if it was a radiation leak or too much gain :D

Bomber

·
Registered
6,227 Posts

·
Premium Member
7,235 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
Sorry for the original post with the Prismatec name...it should have been the other one on the PDF page, for front projection.

As for the viewing angle, all I can tell you is what the birdie told me - I didn't see it myself. He said off axis viewing as good as or better than the firehawk.

As for cost, he also told me that it'd be comparable to firehawk.

I would not have posted the original post did I not believe the birdie to be of high integrity and industry/HT experience.

TM

1 - 20 of 52 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.