AVS Forum banner

1 - 20 of 619 Posts

·
Registered
6,040 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zodon /forum/post/14722627

Looks like 4.0 is available now...Who wants to be a test dummy?

I'll try it out tonight.

·
Registered
6,040 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by gurkey /forum/post/14719845

There was a rather short and change list on the Toshiba web site in Japan, but nothing has been confirmed, because nobody seems to have it yet...

Unfortunately, the description on the US website makes no sense:

Quote:
Overview: As part of our commitment to provide world-class service to our customers, Toshiba is supplying this firmware update for use by purchasers of Toshiba HD DVD Player models listed above. This firmware update improves support for Addresses certain disc playback related issues identified by Toshiba , Play state specification is changed (Advanced playback function) When "pause state" continues 3 hours.

All your base...

·
Registered
1,051 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by MorganB /forum/post/14722825

here's the link for the XA2 version:

http://tacp.toshiba.com/tacpassets-i...-XA2-4000N.zip

Just wanted to post that I was able to update my XA2 to 4.0 by burning the iso using Nero. Won't have time to see if anything has changed but I didn't have any issues with 3.0 as I have a 1080i display. Those with 1080p displays will have to chime in as to whether it has solved any issues they had.

·
Registered
600 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by thebland /forum/post/14707088

For what I paid, I was hoping to get newer titles.... but so goes the format war...

You reap what you sew.

·
Registered
1,407 Posts
It would sure be nice if the DD+ bitstreaming dropout/skipping issue is fixed.

·
Registered
1,277 Posts
Downloading now. I'll give it a whirl. Wish me luck.

·
Registered
6,040 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Trackman /forum/post/14723665

It would sure be nice if the DD+ bitstreaming dropout/skipping issue is fixed.

I've had no such issue with bitstreaming DD+. However, I have had this issue with bitstreaming TrueHD. I just let the player do the decoding now.

·
Registered
1,277 Posts
My new SATA DVD burner isn't working with Nero nor DeepBurner. Bummer...Looks like I'll have to wait for Tosh to throw it up for the players.

I know I can eventually fix it (laziness) but if there are not reports that 4.0 is the bomb, I'm in no hurry...Will

·
Registered
11 Posts
Well, I can finally say that my jaggies are gone at 1080/24. I had tried 2.8 and 3.0(which seemed to make them worse), but eventually went back to 2.7.

I just finished installing 4.0 and threw on Transformers to see... and 'lo and behold' no more jaggies.

Thanks Toshiba, well done. I can only hope this firmware didn't wreck anything that wasn't broke!

Coach

·
Registered
904 Posts
It looks like Toshiba has refreshed the firmware for the entire lineage...even the HD-A1 has a 4.0 firmware release . Seriously, I'm impressed...it's far enough out from the format's demise that nobody would have really minded Toshiba no longer giving a damn, and here they are...

·
Registered
200 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Will Munshower /forum/post/14724609

My new SATA DVD burner isn't working with Nero nor DeepBurner. Bummer...Looks like I'll have to wait for Tosh to throw it up for the players.

I know I can eventually fix it (laziness) but if there are not reports that 4.0 is the bomb, I'm in no hurry...Will

Try ImgBurn

·
Registered
894 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bill C. /forum/post/14724988

It looks like Toshiba has refreshed the firmware for the entire lineage...even the HD-A1 has a 4.0 firmware release . Seriously, I'm impressed...it's far enough out from the format's demise that nobody would have really minded Toshiba no longer giving a damn, and here they are...

I went online to check Toshiba's site to see whether or not there were any other players' updates (I own an A1, A2 and A30), and there was an updated "post" on their support page listing all models as having updates (posted 09/22). However, the link to click "here" to view download links was non-existent. Is something wrong with me?

·
Registered
200 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by luigionlsd /forum/post/14725682

I went online to check Toshiba's site to see whether or not there were any other players' updates (I own an A1, A2 and A30), and there was an updated "post" on their support page listing all models as having updates (posted 09/22). However, the link to click "here" to view download links was non-existent. Is something wrong with me?

Click on HD DVD Players in Search by Product Type.

http://www.tacp.toshiba.com/customersupport/

·
Registered
894 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by jerryg25 /forum/post/14725803

Go to the stickies at the beginning of this thread and a site is there that has all the latest updates.

Clicked on there and the A30 link wasn't updated to 4.0, but thanks.

N8, thanks for the details. I clicked on the information update, which opens a pop-up, and the link on there was broken. Got to the link though! Thanks a lot!

·
Registered
6,040 Posts
Jaggies issue with AVC encoded content (e.g. Transformers, other Paramount releases) appears to be fixed. Frame Rate Auto setting appears to still not work.

Anything else people would like checked?

Since my display properly deinterlaces film based content, I plan to continue to run 1080i from my XA2. I still watch alot of DVDs from my XA2, and 1080p24 output causes display issues with DVD menus, and some DVDs don't output properly in general at 1080p24. I also like the Mosquito Noise Reduction setting, and that is not available during 1080p24 output (noise reduction settings only affect DVD content, not HD DVD).

·
Registered
1,298 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by sharkcohen /forum/post/14726153

Jaggies issue with AVC encoded content (e.g. Transformers, other Paramount releases) appears to be fixed. Frame Rate Auto setting appears to still not work.

Anything else people would like checked?

Thanks for letting us know about the jaggies. I'll install 4.0 now and report back if I notice anything else. I'm not aware of any other issues left to deal with.

1 - 20 of 619 Posts