AVS Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Yesterday my 890 was returned from Philips for the second time.

Again they have replaced the laser and this time the machine passes the self test.

It is still the first gen. optical engine however they have also updated the firmware to FF12M.

·
Registered
55 Posts
Andrew,

Can I know what problems has the new firmware solved ? I have the 890 and got a few issues that I'm really not happy about. The major one is the white wash problem with the recorded white scenes. Do you have encounter the problem?

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Can't really help you with that question.

Thankfully I never had the whitewash problem to start with.

As far as the problems I don't know if it was the firmware or the laser change that did the trick.

All were known problems, ie disk error, disk warning, refusal to read both pre-recorded and home made, rejection of disk, no data, in fact total bloody mindedness.

I did surprise me that it came back with a first generation opt.eng.

I assumed they would automatically replace the unit with a post Dec build.

Maybe FF12M is the firmware everyone has been waiting for for this first batch.

As I only use +RW disks I have never encountered some of the problems the other users have.

I am also a little surprised that the +RW site doesn't yet have FF12M available for download - they seem to get the new releases almost immediately. Can't believe that Oz would get it first.

There again they give us region free out of the box and a 3 year warranty, so we are a little spoilt.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.