AVS Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
1,875 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
For those of you who didnt know what the dps-10 floor spikes were like, they're actually rubber feet with an adhesive side that stick to the bottom of the sub. Right now, my Velo is used in a carpeted room and I feel like these rubber feet are inadequete. They're not in their original 4-corner position because of their design limitations which allow them to slide around underneath the sub. Considering their design drawback, would purchasing a pair of real spikes make way for an improvement in sound quality?

Im still 99% sure i'll be purchasing them anyway, but it would be cool to hear experiences of other people who have replaced the rubber feet with spikes.

·
Registered
2,571 Posts
I think this is one of those marginal improvement items that really isn't going to make a *significant* change in the sound. Why do you believe the rubber feet are inadequate - do you actually hear an issue, or do the cheap rubber feet just bug you? Is there a concrete slab under your carpet, or is it a wood framed floor? Parts Express sells brass cone kits for less than $20, so you haven't got much to lose, and if having the brass feet allows you to enjoy the sub more, I say go ahead. :)

·
Registered
1,875 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
billybob_jcv, quite simple, they never stay where they belong and this is why they bug me. As far as whats under the rug, it is a mystery. We have wall to wall carpeting up here, but downstairs in the living area the floor is wood framed...which would make sense for it to be wood framed up here on the second floor i suppose. The sub is located up here on the 2nd floor. So assuming that the floor is wood framed I could be expecting a marginal increase in performance? for $20 i'll pull the trigger and keep everyone who cares posted ;)

·
Registered
2,571 Posts
Well, since you are on the second floor of a house, you can pretty much guarantee the second floor is NOT a concrete slab! :)

·
Registered
8,700 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by billybob_jcv
Well, since you are on the second floor of a house, you can pretty much guarantee the second floor is NOT a concrete slab! :)
billybob: I'm really beginning to enjoy your posts. Have you ever considered going into show business? :D

As far as the rubber feet are concerned I have them on my Velo which sits on a carpeted concrete floor and it doesn't seem to be an issue for me. Even if I removed them it wouldn't make much difference. I just don't understand what the fuss is about.

Ian :confused:

·
Registered
2,571 Posts
I've always been sort of the court jester, although my wife prefers the term "village idiot"... :D

·
Registered
1,875 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
mailiang,There really is no fuss...i'd just like to spend money on something cheap that will probably have a placebo affect on me, giving me the illusion that im actually hearing better sound quality because of a more stable footing :D Im even considering buying a dayton 10 or 12 for comparison and/or integration purposes. I like to find ways to spend money I don't quite have..

And yeah i guess my floor is wood framed, but believe me there are concrete slabbed 2nd,3rd and 4th levels in buildings around here lol. But those are "projects", and im in a townhouse.

·
Registered
8,700 Posts
I have a feeling billybob hasn't been to a Manhattan flat.

Ian :D

·
Registered
2,571 Posts
True enough! I'm not much for big city livin'. It's a lot easier to crank up the volume when there's a couple of walls, a lawn and a fence between me and the neighbors. ;)

·
Registered
1,875 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
I could care less about cranking up the volume during the day, since my tenants pretty much have to kiss my parent's asses anyway. When 9:30 approaches i ease off on the volume...the guilt just goes straight to my head. :D

Although i do have a lawn and a fence seperating me from some neighbors my building is still connected on the sides to two other residential buildings identical to mine. But i have a staircase between my room and the neighbors on my right side and another room seperating my room from the neighbors on the left side. I feel sorry for the people who live in the next apartment upstairs, im sure they feel/hear a boomy bloated version of what im hearing in my room lmao

1 - 10 of 10 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.