AVS Forum banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello guys.
I would like to make new home audio speakers from the begin. At first I have 2 drivers: Peerless SDS-164 THP 6.5" woofer at 6 ohm. I am thinking of make a 2way speaker with cabinet for 2 woofers and a ribbon tweeter. A design of enclosure that I am thinking is one of these in attachment.

What do you think?

Attachments

·
Registered
21,345 Posts
the though part is usually the crossover, but in this case I'm not even sure how the woofers will perform in your enclosure concept. that is called a transmission line by the way. normally, to get close to a good outcome, one should be at least able to model the drivers/enclosure/crossover. ideally, one should be able to measure it to refine/fine tune the model. there are books that cover these topics. loudspeaker design cookbook is a popular one. maybe start there?

·
Registered
1,399 Posts
I know you are new here, so I'd like to suggest that if Mr. LDT02 gives you a suggestion, he is The Guy in my book when it comes to helpfulness. I was reading between the lines when I read his post, and he is being diplomatic by his general answer and tried NOT to tell you outright you are biting off more than you can chew with such a complicated project for your first build.

The problem you will run into is that you already have some parts, and you want to integrate them into an enclosure that would require a VERY experienced DIY'er to come up with a proper cross over (XO). The XO will match YOUR drivers to YOUR enclosure. Unless you know EXACTLY what you are doing, you could end up mating some parts together that simply will not sound good.

I'll suggest two things (I am not the expert in such things, I am a novice DIY guy with two speaker projects under my belt). I will first suggest you try to find a way to make a two-way design in a more traditional enclosure. I think you will find many people here with expertise who might guide you to success that way.

I'd also like you to see a DIY transmission line kit that Parts-Express offers. That will give you some perspective on how to build the transmission line enclosure, should you choose to go that way. Be sure to watch the two Product Videos and read the reviews that go with the following link:

http://www.parts-express.com/parts-...aker-components-and-cabinet-kit-pair--300-702

·
Registered
970 Posts
http://meniscusaudio.com/er18mtm-ribbon-pair-p-1323.html

This kit looks promising as well. It used a Ribbon tweeter or dome (pick your kit) and is a proven design by proven builders. It stats its very close to the Salk Song tower and if that's true it should be a great performer. I have heard the Salk's and IMHO the asking price is very fair for the sound and build quality.

The price for the kits is also reasonable.

Reactions: wvu80
1 - 5 of 5 Posts