1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
981 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·

·
Registered
7,958 Posts
Have they fixed the buggy SD vs HD black level issue yet? I'm really disappointed that my nVidia 9400 IGP solution is so poor in this regard. I can get SD OR HD black levels right, but not both, when feeding a standard 16-235 HDTV via HDMI...

(ATIs at least have a registry hack that allows consistent SD and HD black levels...)

·
Registered
7,958 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rathbone /forum/post/15437674

I set it to full range and black levels in TMT (HD) and Theatertek (S) are perfect. Never had a problem in any driver since that option appeared.

With full range I get good SD (TMT, VMC, PDVD) black levels, but crushed HD black levels on BD playback in TMT and PDVD.

Have used DVD and BD PLUGE signals to confirm this. To get correct BD black levels I have to use Limited 16-235 not Full 0-255, but this gives set-up blacks on SD content. (It appears to be an issue with the way SD stuff isn't correctly handled)

This is feeding a 16-235 HDMI display - which is routed through an AVR along with other 16-235 sources.

·
Registered
1,016 Posts
I installed the driver on Vista 32 and it does indeed show 185.20 but I don't have an option for HDCP status check. Also how did you get it to show XONAR. I have mine connected through xonar as well but mine shows DENON-AVAMP for the receiver I have.

·
Registered
15,396 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by sneals2000 /forum/post/15437719

With full range I get good SD (TMT, VMC, PDVD) black levels, but crushed HD black levels on BD playback in TMT and PDVD.

Have used DVD and BD PLUGE signals to confirm this. To get correct BD black levels I have to use Limited 16-235 not Full 0-255, but this gives set-up blacks on SD content. (It appears to be an issue with the way SD stuff isn't correctly handled)

This is feeding a 16-235 HDMI display - which is routed through an AVR along with other 16-235 sources.

You know there's an area to select the video levels now right?

178.24 under Windows XP:

·
Registered
7,056 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by sneals2000 /forum/post/15437652

Have they fixed the buggy SD vs HD black level issue yet? I'm really disappointed that my nVidia 9400 IGP solution is so poor in this regard. I can get SD OR HD black levels right, but not both, when feeding a standard 16-235 HDTV via HDMI...

(ATIs at least have a registry hack that allows consistent SD and HD black levels...)

You can hack the nvidia too. But when you do, you lose HDMI audio.

The problem is native HDMI contracts the black levels on the desktop (think ATI limited pixel output options), so to actually get correct black levels, you want to use expanded, this will work for SD and HD, except for protected path HD. Blu-ray for some reason doesn't pay attention to desktop level change, so the expanded setting means that black is actually being output at 0 instead of 16 like SD content.

Also while it may look like you are passing BTB when you've got it set to Limited, because the desktop is contracted to video levels, you are acutally displaying an elevated black level. But if you expand the video, you'll then clip BTB and WTW.

To confim that this only effects protected path try just opening up the .m2ts file for the AVS Forum disc directly in powerDVD, that will display consitently with SD material. It's only when you playback as a blu-ray disc that the levels go wonky, so it must be the protected path.

This bug only effects native HDMI out, I've got an 8600GTS hooked up via DVI->HDMI and it doesn't have this bug, but the 8200 motherboard with native HDMI does.

·
Registered
973 Posts
This driver caused me issues with HDMI output... noise/corruption and periodic loss of signal. This is on a Asus P5N7A motherboard with integrated NV9300.

·
Registered
981 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by ymarker /forum/post/15442413

I installed the driver on Vista 32 and it does indeed show 185.20 but I don't have an option for HDCP status check. Also how did you get it to show XONAR. I have mine connected through xonar as well but mine shows DENON-AVAMP for the receiver I have.

It should not show the Amp but the Xonar. Seems like a Xonar driver problem.

·
Registered
1,016 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rathbone /forum/post/15445992

It should not show the Amp but the Xonar. Seems like a Xonar driver problem.

Are you using a different xonar driver other than the lastest posted for Vista 32 on the asus site?

Also I get no hdcp status check either with the new nvidia drivers

·
Registered
981 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by ymarker /forum/post/15453027

Are you using a different xonar driver other than the lastest posted for Vista 32 on the asus site?

Also I get no hdcp status check either with the new nvidia drivers

The HDCP check window depends on the display device. It shows only when a HDCP capable display device is connected e.g. it doesn't show when my CRT is connected but it does when the Xonar is connected. I use Vista X64 and Windows 7 with lastest Vista driver 1757 and TMT.

·
Registered
847 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by sneals2000 /forum/post/15437652

I'm still using 163.75 on all my nvidia based htpcs...tried some later releases but got black crush on hd...if its working perfect for me right now, no need to upgrade

·
Registered
1,712 Posts
Do you know when this will become an official release from Nvidia? I'm a little too paranoid to download drivers from an unfamiliar site and then "Run as administrator". If it were a trojan or had a virus packed in it, that would be bad.

·
Registered
74 Posts
I tried installing this new beta, but no luck. I did a complete uninstall of old driver using driver cleaner...the uninstall/install seemed to go okay, but when I tried to call up the control panel, it froze. Tried to uninstall and reinstall a couple more times, but no luck. I'm running XP service pack 2. HTPC used only for movies and TV...also installed is PowerDVD Ultra...I have and 8600 GT card as well. All software and otehr drivers are all up-to-date. Any suggestions welcome.

1 - 20 of 24 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.