AVS Forum banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Hi, I'm new here.
After paying DirecTV for over 18 years, I ready to put up an outdoor antenna. I live about 38 miles almost due south of Cleveland, Ohio (which would be my prime TV station base).
I've been reading info about several outdoor HD antennas. I will list the ones that have grabbed my attention.
Clearstream2V, Mohu Sky 60, Winegard HD7084P, Winegard FL6550A
I have no idea if any of these antennas would be a good choice for me..or maybe these just has the best marketing teams.
I was hoping those of you that know much more about outdoor antennas could point me the a good one. (and if it's not one that I listed, tell me what you would purchase).
I'm not real tec savy. But I went to TVFOOL and since I'm not good posting links, here's the information that I can give to you. GPS (I guess) 40.973462/ -81.647369

There are no large buildings to block the antenna, But may have some tree blockage.
I'm will be more than happy to call Directv and tell them that The Partys over !!
Since this is my first post, I was prompted that I was not allowed to ad a link.
. Thank for your help

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #2 (Edited)
Hi, I'm new here.
After paying DirecTV for over 18 years, I ready to put up an outdoor antenna. I live about 38 miles almost due south of Cleveland, Ohio (which would be my prime TV station base).
I've been reading info about several outdoor HD antennas. I will list the ones that have cought my attention.
Clearstream2V, Mohu Sky 60, Winegard HD7084P, Winegard FL6550A
I have no idea if any of these antennas would be a good choice for me..or maybe these just has the beat marketing teams.
I was hoping those of you that know much more about outdoor antennas could point me the a good one. (and if it's not one that I listed, tell me what you would purchase).
I'm not real tec savy. But I went to TVFOOL and since I'm not good posting links, here's the information that I can give to you. GPS (I guess) 40.973462/ -81.647369

There are no large buildings to block the antenna, But may have some tree blockage.
I'm will be more than happy to call Directv and tell them that The Partys over !!
Since this is my first post, I was prompted that I was not allowed to ad a link.
Thank for your help

·
Registered
419 Posts

·
Registered
6,432 Posts
I reran your TV Fool report for 50' to see if that made any difference. Turns out all those 1 and 2 edge stations around 355 degrees become line-of-sight and much stronger. You should seriously consider getting the antenna up this high. It'll make reception and reliability much better. You wouldn't need a very large antenna. An HBU33 or a Winegard HD7694P would be enough. These antennas will likely not receive WLFM on RF 6 since it has no low VHF elements. Those other strong stations around 5 and 28 degrees should be okay when pointed at 355 degrees. The stations at 60 degrees probably won't come in without pointing at them.

Since these antennas have wide beam widths, it might be a good idea to point it at 0 or 5 degrees to get a little better signal on the 28 degree stations.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I can not find an edit function. Can you tell how to find it? At the bottom of the page is a section about posting rules. that says "you may not edit posts" ???

·
Registered
2,068 Posts
I live not far from you in Norton Ohio. You have a pretty good TV Fool report, similar to mine. I would get an outdoor antenna like the AntennaCraft HBU33, HBU44, or the HBU55. These are all combination high-VHF and UHF antennas. There are two high-VHF channels... WOIO 19 and WJW 8. WOIO's high-VHF channel 10 is typically a problem channel for people around here, but you should have no problem picking up their repeater from Akron. So I wouldn't worry about that. The HBU33 should easily receive WJW channel 8. Point it toward the Parma TV towers, and you'll receive the majority on that list. But if you want more, I would also recommend an antenna rotor if you care about TV stations from the Youngstown market like WKBN or WFMJ. I have a rotor on my outdoor setup, and I can receive WKBN, WFMJ, and WYTV from Youngstown. You also have a better shot at getting WIVM than I do if you get a rotor.

·
Registered
2,068 Posts
An HBU33 or a Winegard HD7694P would be enough. These antennas will likely not receive WLFM on RF 6 since it has no low VHF elements.
WLFM channel 6 isn't worth receiving. It's an FM radio station disguised as a TV station. It takes advantage of the fact that TV channel 6 audio is the same as FM 87.7. Just ignore that one. It plays Spanish music and has no video except a black screen. It's analog, not digital. So don't purchase a TV antenna based on this channel.

·
Registered
419 Posts
I can not find an edit function. Can you tell how to find it? At the bottom of the page is a section about posting rules. that says "you may not edit posts" ???
Ahh, I forgot about that, I think there you might have to make 5 posts before you can edit or add links.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #9 (Edited)
Thanks for the edit information. I'll make a few useless post. Should not be to hard for me...most of my posts are useless...haha

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
I hope to learn more about OTA TV antennas from you guys. For the guy in Norton, Hi neighbor.

·
Registered
2,068 Posts
I hope to learn more about OTA TV antennas from you guys. For the guy in Norton, Hi neighbor.
By the way, I personally use the Antennas Direct XG91 UHF antenna and the AntennaCraft Y5-7-13 high-VHF antenna. I combine them with a VHF/UHF combiner into one coaxial cable. I use a Channel Master CM-3414 distribution amp so I can watch on up to four TVs without any signal loss from using splitters.

Gain is a very important figure to consider when looking at antenna specifications. And these two antennas both have good gain.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
This is just another useless post to see if I can get the edit function to work, sorry guys...newbe's who needs them ?
If anyone else has any more info about antenna selection for, please do so. What about the 4 antennas that I listed? would any be a good choice? or are they just manufactures hype?

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Ahh, I forgot about that, I think there you might have to make 5 posts before you can edit or add links.
Well this is my 7th post, so far I can not go back and edit. When I put unwanted info on my first post,...I only did that, because I was not able to add a link.

·
Registered
2,068 Posts
From your list of antennas, the Winegard seems the best. But I do not know from experience because I don't own any of those antennas. The only one of those antennas I could find any published gain values from was the Winegard, but also note that the Winegard has longer elements on it that are designed for low-VHF channels, and we don't have any low-VHF channels around here. So it would be pointless to have a large antenna that isn't necessary. That's why I recommend the HBU33. Those other antennas on your list don't publish the antenna's gain, and that's a red flag. To me, it looks like they're just trying to make a prettier antenna to appeal to someone who doesn't have a knowledge of antenna performance. I wouldn't depend on online reviews or mileage figures either. I think the specifications speak for themselves.

Look at the specifications tab on this page... http://www.solidsignal.com/pview.asp?p=hd7084

AntennaCraft also publishes their antenna gains if you check their website. You can compare. But also note that there is a difference between dBi and dB... dBi is always 2.15 higher, so if you see the dBi gain value, it appears better than it really is.

·
Registered
797 Posts

·
Registered
419 Posts
Well this is my 7th post, so far I can not go back and edit. When I put unwanted info on my first post,...I only did that, because I was not able to add a link.
OK, so it just goes to prove I don't know what I'm talking about :D
It's no problem with your information being there if it doesn't bother you...it's just a personal preference for me that I don't like to put personal stuff like addresses out there in public forums (being stalked by an ex-cop makes you a little cautious about things).

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
OK, so it just goes to prove I don't know what I'm talking about :D
It's no problem with your information being there if it doesn't bother you...it's just a personal preference for me that I don't like to put personal stuff like addresses out there in public forums (being stalked by an ex-cop makes you a little cautious about things).
Well I got the edit button today, thanks for looking out for me. I understand about too much information out for others to see. Gone now!

·
Super Moderator
18,222 Posts
Please put a location in the title of ALL antenna help threads as the sticky threads instruct. See my edit.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts