AVS Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 20 of 35 Posts

·
Registered
864 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I just called a local B&M and thet have one P50 left that will be priced very aggressively along with the 1K rebate. Any suggestions as to waiting for the new line or taking the plunge? Thanks...

·
Registered
59 Posts
I have had mine for a month and it I don't see how you can do much better than this unit. HD is incredible. I have had the guys over for Monday Night Football for years and they were stunned the first time they saw the game on ABC-HD OTA. On commercials I would turn it to Discovery HD to show them how my dog barks at the wildlife there--it looks that real.

Buy it...you won't regret it. As you may have heard on here, there is always going to be the next best thing around the corner.

·
Registered
864 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks for the quick reply kevbo! How do you like dvd on the panel? Going to see it tomorrow!

·
Read the FAQ!
37,290 Posts
I bought a Fujitsu P50 a couple months ago and I'm quite pleased with it. DVDs look very good indeed.

But I would hasten to add that the rate of improvement in plasma technology (or more generally, flat panel technology) has been staggering over the past few years, and I would expect it to continue at that rate at least for another 5 years. Manufacturers have by no means reached the limits of what this technology can do and are not likely to until high quality 1080p flat panels become commodity items -- at which point you are going to start seeing limiting returns on what the eye can see regardless of the specs.

The longer you wait, the better set you'll get -- but of course you have to live with a crappy set until you buy one.

As for this particular model change for Fujitsu, the marketing info on it makes it sound like a modest evolutionary improvement. Until we get reviews from people who've actually used it, the best assumption is that this one is a little bit better but not substantially better. And that next year's model will be better still.

--Bob

·
Registered
864 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
November or December timeframe is what I was told...

·
Registered
864 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Thanks for all the replies!

I went to my local fujitsu last weekend to check out the P50 and found it a little small for my taste. The P55 seems more suited to my seating position.

Here is my dilema; seems that my dealer can still get a new P55 from fujitsu which still qualifies for the $1500 rebate. He also is willing to take $1K off the MSRP. Although this is still more than I want to pay, is this a fair price considering the new P55 will be out soon(Jan?). Should I ask for a deeper discount so I can get closer to what I want to spend? What do you think this unit should go for???

·
Registered
864 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Quote:
Originally posted by 1918sox
Double

Wouldn't forget that the 50 inch panel is made by Panasonic and provides better blacks than 55.
That is the reason I orignally looked at the P50. It just doesn't seem large enough at about 14'. The unit will be in the living room where there is plenty of ambient light so I don't think I would really benefit from the lower black levels anyway...Was shifting towards Pioneer for this reason as well, but now I am back to the fujitsu. Thanks.

Vic

·
Registered
365 Posts
My dealer saw it at a recent show and said that the new Fujitsu's are incrementally better than the current generation. It will be a clear cost vs. value question whether you want to pay the extra $1-2,000 for the new one or save money with the old. I waited to get the new P50 during the last cycle because it was clearly better and worth the extra $.

·
Registered
864 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
The current P50 and P55 seem really good at this point. I am sure that the technology will only improve. Just figure I can get a nice set at a really good price...

Vic

·
Registered
365 Posts
Suggest that you wait until the new ones are in the stores so a) you can see them side by side and b) you'll see the pricing on the new model to better decide price vs. value and c) you'll probably get a bigger discount if you decide to go with the older model since they'll want to move the old inventory out.

·
Registered
604 Posts
Wait for what you want. The other option is that the new NEC 61" is available and is suppposed to have an excellent picture. It is going to be competitively priced with your Fujitsu (I think). Check PC (forum sponsor).

·
Registered
864 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Wasn't NEC's plasma division purchased by Pioneer?

·
Premium Member
773 Posts
Quote:
Originally posted by doubleroll
Wasn't NEC's plasma division purchased by Pioneer?
Yes, you are correct.

I believe Pioneer's new 61" plasma is a result of that acquisition.

Martin

·
Registered
864 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
Thanks for all the replies! I think if the P55 was discounted by more than 1K off MSRP I would have an incentive to get one now. But I may wait until the new models come out. Seems like Jan '05 for the 55"...

·
Banned
3,573 Posts
NEC's plasma glass development and manufacturing organizations are being acquired by Pioneer. NEC will continue to manufacture plasma displays under their own name. That is not part of Pioneer.

Eric

·
Banned
3,573 Posts
I did see the Series 30 Fujitsu next to the new Series 40 at CEDIA Expo playing the same material. There were clear improvements in the video processor, which is the primary difference.

Eric

·
Registered
864 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
That is great info egcarter, thanks! I assume you suggest that the 40 series is worth the wait even though the discounts will be little to none? This would probrbly put me back into the P50 range...

·
Banned
3,573 Posts
Since The MSRP on the 40 series is the same as the 30 series,

as a reseller myself, the series 30 and 40 are likely to be the same price to me. I have no incentive to sell one over the other, and I like to get the latest stuff for my clients.

There is that rebate for the 30 Series that is a carrot to entice you.

Eric

1 - 20 of 35 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.