AVS Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
73 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Just took delivery on my new Gallo R3. These speakers are pretty amazing. I am replacing an old pair of Vandersteen Model 4. In its day, the Vandys were awsome. They are very large, make a big sound stage and can rattle the roof. I was not sure the Gallos could replace them quite frankly. Boy was I surprised.

These smallish speakers create a large sound field. They are not fussy about the listener being nailed to one sweet spot for good sound. They go deep. I am using the sub input with my old vandy active crossover. Am feeding the upper terminals of the Gallo a full spectrum signal and the bass inputs are from the crossover and separate amp. Am using all Anthem electronics. Amps are rated at 120 watts per channel. Not earth movers, but not lame.

Played lots of stereo music yesterday and was pleased. Beautiful stage, good depth, excellent detail and best of all...could not tell music was coming from each speaker. Music gets outside the speaker. Very musical. Very quick. Transients were well rendered.

Only one movie so far. Tried the opening sequence from U 571. Wow. No loss of any sort. Big sound, deep base. They never ran out of dynamic room to play the sequence at what I would call punishing levels.

At this point, could not be happier with my purchase. Can't wait for the center channel and the surrounds to make their appearance.

·
Registered
371 Posts
Congrats on your purchase. I know these speakers have very good horizontal dispersion, but how does it sound when your ear is above the tweeter level? Does the high frequencies sound attenuated, does the image/sound stage collapse?

Thanks

·
Registered
73 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
to early to tell.

So far I find the sound field to be totally intact. I do think they are best listened to while seated. As I said seated does not necessarily bolted to the sweet spot. Even sitting in my easy chair on the far left of the room, I have a hard time localizing the speaker locations. The dispersion from the tweeters is very wide.

·
Registered
371 Posts
I do like the fact that the listener doesn't have to be in the sweet spot. I also like the fact the Center & Surrounds are not too big, so placement will not be an issue. Do you plan on getting the sub amp when it comes out?

·
Registered
73 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
My old active crossover is doing a great job, so I don't see the need to buy another amp and crossover.

I am really anxious for release of the center channel. I have also heard they are going to develop surround speakers in the Reference system. Some sort of adaptation on the center channel I think.

·
Registered
3,061 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by drdk
Just took delivery on my new Gallo R3. These speakers are pretty amazing.
I bought a pair too and I agree. These have rightfully won both the Six Moons and Perfect Vision speaker of the year awards.

Take several weeks to break in. Sound quality keeps improving.

Buy now as the price is going up!!!

·
Registered
73 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
I actually bought the demos that are broken in. Had the choice of a new pair or the 100 hour pair and decided not to be patient. I understand they improve dramatically over the break in period.

·
Registered
73 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
msrp is going up to 2,999.00 if I remember the conversation with my dealer correctly. There will not be as many finish options to choose from either. I think the basic black base with the stainless trim will be the standard. Wooden base will be available as an option.

·
Premium Member
497 Posts
glad to hear good opinons on the bass of the Ref3's.

i just got an all black pair. price is indeed going up...new MSRP of $3k i think. they are just too popular from what I can tell. Gallo can't make enough at the current MSRP. to have such problems!

anyway, i don't have a sub yet in my HT, and i've been wondering if i should spring for an amp for the ref3's woofers or a seperate powered sub.

i'd prefer to just use the lower terminals of the Ref3's for a "cleaner" solution. I don't really have any good location for a sub in my HT anyways.

Thanks.

·
Registered
813 Posts
I'm wondering about getting these, I could probably afford them at a used price. But I'm worried if I get them my receiver won't be enough to run them, and what will an amp cost later to get full range out of them?

This is my receiver, Panasonic SA-HE200:
http://www.epinions.com/Panasonic_SA...splay_~reviews

With decent wires and that receiver, which has some low imp mode for 4 ohm speakers, will the R3s play well or be seriously hindered by them? I also don't want them to be bright. I know the bass won't be the best for movies until an amp for the subs is added, and what will it cost for the official amp from gallo or something similar?

Right now I already ordered a system from www.AperionAudio.com . I ordered a pair of 533-PTs and 532-LRs for surround and 533-Vac for center. The 533-Power Towers will finally arrive monday, after 2 month delay, my 30 day trial will start.

That whole Aperion system was about $1880, shipped, plus speaker wires, they even sent me 2 bookshelfs for free because of the delay. But I wonder, if I'm able to get some Gallo Ref3s for $2000, some decent surround speakers, and do that phantom option for center, would that be a much better way to go? Some guy only an hour away is selling some. I might also consider atleast an HK AVR325 too.

·
Registered
499 Posts
$3k per pair.

drdk - Are you running them on the floor or using a riser? I heard that a lot of people felt that the sound was better when they were lifted about 8" higher IIRC.

·
Registered
520 Posts
For you folks who bought the Gallo Reference 3's:

I've read some positive things about them. I'd like to have a listen. But they are tough to find. What other speakers did you listen to before the Gallos, and what did you like or dislike?

·
Registered
73 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
I am listening to the R3 on the floor without the risers. I am going to make some risers this weekend just to try out the sound with the spkr. elevated.

I am so pleased with these speakers, I just can't get over it. They sound better and better. The beautiful wide sound stage is just the ticket. Movies are incredible.

I am not sure I would try to run these with a low powered reciever.

I listened to paradigm 100s and liked the Gallos better.

The center is not out yet.

·
Registered
371 Posts
I thought the Ref 3's came with adjustable feet/spikes and different ones for front and rear so you wouldn't have to make risers?

·
Registered
73 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
they do. THere is an aftermarket guy on the web that is selling a high tech riser. Type in gallo on google and you will find the site.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.