AVS Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 1 of 1 Posts

·
Registered
1,515 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
As I have posted repeatedly, I am in the process of playing around with the gamma table on my Davis DLX650 clone. I discovered how I could change the table. I also was able to see the tables that Davis put on the projectors. Well, they didn't exactly fit a nice gamma equation (i.e. y = c * x^g). Well, I spent a lot of time trying to see if I could figure out what was a good formula to fit the data Davis provided, so that I could tweak it a little. I finally gave up, and instead just generated my own gamma=2.0 curve for Blue. I then took the corresponding R and the G from the existing curve ('K' true colors) for each B value, so my color balance would be exactly the same. (I noted apriori that my generated curve was much lower/darker than the existing curve. I also noted that 'K's curve started around 1.85 gamma, and then *decreased* through lighter colors, eventually all the way down to 1!)

I downloaded it, and WOW! What a difference! It looks fantastic! I had previously noted that for a bright color movie, making my projector much darker made the colors look incredibly rich and saturated. But with that setting, I had no shadow details at all. Well, now with this new gamma curve, I have rich looking colors in the midrange (i.e. they're darker), and I still have tons of shadow details...

I need to test more, once I get my screen, and when I'm not so tired... I guess I could try other gammas, and even varying the gammas in the middle of the curve - but then again, maybe I'll just quit while I'm ahead!! http://www.avsforum.com/ubb/biggrin.gif

Mike

------------------

Join the NYC-area HT club! Send me e-mail!

[This message has been edited by mflaster (edited 08-25-2001).]

1 - 1 of 1 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.