AVS Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
1,136 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
For those baseball fans out there, the networks of Fox Sports have changed their graphics for the 2014 MLB Season. If you haven't seen the new graphics yet, Fox Sports San Diego used them in yesterday's exhibition game between the Indians & Padres. In the following post, you'll get an idea what they look like. Overall in my opinion, I like them, except for that infernal nonstop ticker at the bottom of the screen.

·
Registered
1,136 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·

·
Registered
825 Posts
GRRR.. We have to put up with the Blue score ticker taking up real estate on the field, and now the Game ticker takes up more??? Put it at the top of the screen, OFF THE FIELD. Note to Fox, look at the NBC Hockey game ticker, it's about perfect. Or Hell just cover the whole screen with graphics all the time...

·
Registered
4,889 Posts
There is no need at all for a constant ticker. If they must have one, it should only be used intermittently. It is too bad the the leagues here are like the BPL which requires that there are no graphics other than the score and clock on the screen. I wish the sports leagues here actually cared about the viewing experience of their fans. Another lesson we could learn from the Brits.

·
Registered
5,398 Posts
I agree. I hate all of the screen clutter when I am trying to watch a game.

·
Registered
784 Posts
I really like the look of the new scorebug, as well as the placement in the lower left corner. And at least when watching on MLB.tv, there is no ticker along the bottom or Fox Sports logo in the upper right.

·
Registered
362 Posts
You'd think we're back in the early 90s, when sports information was still at a premium. These days, with all the electronic devices within an arm's length of the average viewer, taking up any real estate at all with a distracting ticker is ridiculous.

·
Registered
17 Posts
I like the new scorebug , but really hate the very ugly and useless to me constant bottom ticker. It sure takes up a lot of space, especially if you watch your TV with no overscan. Zero overscan has been an option on modern TV's for a long time already, but the networks are still using the safe area for old picture tube displays (CRT).

·
Registered
4,491 Posts
Big problem with new Fox scorebug, when Olbermann is doing his highlights package, the 'Keith Lights' bug box overlays the scorebox, so you can't see what the situation is when the highlight is aired. Unlike the ESPN scorebug which is in the lower right corner.

·
Registered
10,562 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by humdinger70  /t/1525025/new-graphics-coming-to-t...sports-1-your-local-fox-station#post_24558934

Big problem with new Fox scorebug, when Olbermann is doing his highlights package, the 'Keith Lights' bug box overlays the scorebox, so you can't see what the situation is when the highlight is aired. Unlike the ESPN scorebug which is in the lower right corner.

How is Keith able to work for both Fox and ESPN? I'm only aware of his ESPN late night gig.

·
Registered
4,491 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aliens  /t/1525025/new-graphics-coming-to-t...s-1-your-local-fox-station/0_40#post_24559180

How is Keith able to work for both Fox and ESPN? I'm only aware of his ESPN late night gig.

He's not working for Fox, but he uses Fox highlights video, and therein lies the problem I mentioned in the previous post.

·
Registered
4,491 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by humdinger70  /t/1525025/new-graphics-coming-to-t...s-1-your-local-fox-station/0_40#post_24558934

Somebody at Keith's show must have seen my post above, I'm watching Olbermann tonight and they've moved the 'Keith Lights' bug to the right side just above the 'Olbermann Live' bug.

Thanks Keith.

·
Registered
40 Posts
This is the new Fox Sports graphics package that debuted at the Daytona 500 (why they didn't do the logical thing and debut it at Super Bowl XLVIII is beyond me) and I think they changed them now because they have U.S. Open golf next year and the old package they had was too aggressive for golf. So it made sense for them to change.

I have mixed feelings about these graphics. For some reason, it doesn't feel like Fox Sports to me. These graphics work for baseball, but not for NASCAR. We'll have to see how these graphics are executed for NFL/NCAA football, NBA/NCAA basketball, NHL, soccer, and UFC later in the year.

·
Registered
784 Posts
I think the clean, flat minimalist simplicity of the scorebug is far less of a distraction from the sporting event being covered, than the old graphics were.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts