AVS Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
5,132 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
For some reason, when I tried Dscaler 4.1.7 with Iomagic PVR Svideo input and SVHS JVC VCR outputting SDTV or VHS signals, it showed a 4 pixel square, green, flashing in and out in far left upper corner using "gradual noise filter" and all else to default settings. Weird as it was not there last time I used Dscaler 4.1.7 or older versions. I'm not using Powerstrip or any scaling software. Just running Radeon 7200 at XGA for my NEC LT150 DLP PJ using high quality SVGA cable into LT150 VGA input. DVD plays fine using all software players without any flashing "green pixel". Did not change any video drivers (still using Win98SE, nonCatalyst driver--7189, I think). Ideas? Should I down grade to an older Dscaler as it was not there before? Should I reinstall Dscaler to R/O corrupted files?

·
Registered
5,132 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
Any Dscaler expert out there? Anybody has this annoyance?

·
Registered
14 Posts
Yep, it can be turned on or off. Apparently, it was turned on for you. Go under filter settings, and then under gradual filter, and look in the options for it. I am not sure what it is off the top of my head, but it is in there.

The green dot indicates, that the filter has settled in on a setting for the current scene. I think it is also an option on the adaptive filter as well.

·
Registered
1,663 Posts
Turn off 'Lock Dot' option in filter settings for the noise filters (think its the adaptive filter but it may be one of the others). This freaked me out at first as well until I tracked it down :) Exactly as shadowmerc said.

-Trouble

·
Registered
5,132 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Thanks guys, I knew I was not crazy. I did use this new gradual noise filter and tried different filters. Never thought this was a "feature" of Dscaler :D

·
Registered
204 Posts
Just to clear things up a bit — The green dot comes from the adaptive noise filter, not from gradual noise. Honest, it is a feature! Well, okay, I can’t imagine why anyone would want it turned on for normal viewing, but it does help you choose settings for the filter. The dot is described in the help, but of course it was in adaptive noise’s help, so you probably didn’t see it when you looked.

By the way — I strongly recommend against running adaptive noise and gradual noise (or any pair of noise filters, for that matter) at the same time.

·
Registered
5,132 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Thanks HSD. You're probably right. These noise filters can be very similar sounding and I probably got them mixed up. That's what I get for playing with the settings. :D

1 - 7 of 7 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.