AVS Forum banner
1 - 20 of 120 Posts

·
Registered
265 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
From JTR Speakers Inc. forum, very nice new access to movies deep sound and to music punchy sound in one box.

**The new "Growler Duo" bridges the gap between Home Theater and Professional subwoofers.

I've been told by many people that they want the tight, punchy sound of the Growler subwoofer but also the ability to play low frequency for home theater use.

The Growler Duo has a button on the 4000 watt amplifier, labeled "LOW", that when pushed in, will tune the subwoofer for low frequency reproduction, capable of 122db at 20hz at the sitting position in a home theater and has useful output below (115db at 15hz, 106db at 10hz).

Growler Duo in "LOW" mode is +/-3db from 20-180hz in a home theater room and in normal mode can produce 137db and is +/-3db from 37-180hz, outdoors on the ground.**

30" x 22.5" x 24"

120 lbs

Growler Duo:

MSRP- $3199

Internet Direct- $2799

Enjoy the music.

ZivkoF

·
Banned
1,805 Posts
To put things in perspective, does anyone know what other subs have measured as capable of 115db (reference?) at 15hz, and 106db at 10hz (besides DIY options)?

·
Registered
6,147 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by LilGator /forum/post/18278428

To put things in perspective, does anyone know what other subs have measured as capable of 115db (reference?) at 15hz, and 106db at 10hz (besides DIY options)?

mine do, easily! Oh wait, you said not DIY...sorry

·
Registered
265 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jeff Permanian /forum/post/18279317

4000 watts RMS is a good amount of power : )

Hi Jeff,

it looks very promising
subwoofer and 4000 watts RMS amplifier, does it works also on 220/230 Volts! To compare with passive Growler how high is its sensitivity dB 1w/1m ? Growler sensitivity is 100 dB and does it useing the same folded horn principle.

Thanks

·
Registered
137 Posts
does it comes with good ear protection,, 122 DB, yeoooo,,

hope your home builder tied those stud walls in correct as they will be moving,,

Derry

·
Registered
265 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Any news about first pictures of "Growler Duo" and its amplifier?
When it supposed to be released on market!

·
Registered
4,866 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by ZivkoF /forum/post/18313220

Any news about first pictures of "Growler Duo" and its amplifier?
When it supposed to be released on market!

Best way is to talk to Jeff. Obviously he likes to keep the information close to himself so as to not disappoint his buyers (if you follow the Captivator and JTR Speaker threads you obviously know he has a fan base). As far as I know the driver was getting put together and there might have needed to be a slight rework (Jeff is a perfectionist so that doesn't mean anything was wrong) also, after he designs the driver he uses a one-man company to make it so their production schedule often dictates his.

I have 3 quintuples I may swap out for 3 triple 12's and a second captivator in the way. Sort of wish I had a single one of these subs instead but I doubt a 20 amp circuit, dedicated or not, would get the max volume from this amp (although who really needs the last 3 dB in this range, 119dB aint too shabby)

·
Registered
1,729 Posts
So, how would you compare this to a "2 captivator + Emotiva XPA-2" combo? Pricewise, I think they will come out to be the same ($1000 + 800 = 2800), but Emotiva only got about 500W to each
[Well, I guess more than enough in most cases)

What will be the frequency response for Growler Duo?

I like the "smaller size", which is practically same as a single captivator...

·
Banned
1,805 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by fight4yu /forum/post/18317121

So, how would you compare this to a "2 captivator + Emotiva XPA-2" combo? Pricewise, I think they will come out to be the same ($1000 + 800 = 2800), but Emotiva only got about 500W to each
[Well, I guess more than enough in most cases)

What will be the frequency response for Growler Duo?

I like the "smaller size", which is practically same as a single captivator...

Couldn't you feed each Captivator their own EP4000 or EP2500 for the same ballpark $$?

·
Registered
1,158 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by LilGator /forum/post/18278428

Look into the sub25 from paradigm it does not not do what lms does but its really good at its pretty close

·
Registered
1,699 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by ZivkoF /forum/post/18276483

From JTR Speakers Inc. forum, very nice new access to movies deep sound and to music punchy sound in one box.

**The new "Growler Duo" bridges the gap between Home Theater and Professional subwoofers.

I've been told by many people that they want the tight, punchy sound of the Growler subwoofer but also the ability to play low frequency for home theater use.

The Growler Duo has a button on the 4000 watt amplifier, labeled "LOW", that when pushed in, will tune the subwoofer for low frequency reproduction, capable of 122db at 20hz at the sitting position in a home theater and has useful output below (115db at 15hz, 106db at 10hz).

Growler Duo in "LOW" mode is +/-3db from 20-180hz in a home theater room and in normal mode can produce 137db and is +/-3db from 37-180hz, outdoors on the ground.**

30" x 22.5" x 24"

120 lbs

Growler Duo:

MSRP- $3199

Internet Direct- $2799

Enjoy the music.

ZivkoF

Sounds interesting, hard to predict the SPL at the listening position isn't it?

·
Registered
4,866 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by LilGator /forum/post/18317153

Couldn't you feed each Captivator their own EP4000 or EP2500 for the same ballpark $$?

I have 2 with an ep2500 to one and an ep4000 to the other (when it comes) and got them for $300 each so it actually costs less than the xpa

·
Registered
265 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by goonstopher /forum/post/18318224

I have 2 with an ep2500 to one and an ep4000 to the other (when it comes) and got them for $300 each so it actually costs less than the xpa

Hi,

yes the price is almost the same 2 Captivators + 2 ep 4000 = Growler Duo with its 4000 W ampl, my question is distortion level and SQ of 6th order bandpass design vs folded horn design with max SPL level down low and SQ for tight music bass!!

·
Registered
1,410 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by LilGator /forum/post/18317153

The amplifier in the DUO is of very high quality, high tech, lightweight with full DSP. Such amplifiers sell for over $3000 (like the Crown ITech 4000).

Quote:
Originally Posted by t6902wf /forum/post/18318032

Sounds interesting, hard to predict the SPL at the listening position isn't it?

That was a "typo", I meant: could produce 122db at the listening (room and location play such an effect).

·
Registered
4,866 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by ZivkoF /forum/post/18321424

Hi,

yes the price is almost the same 2 Captivators + 2 ep 4000 = Growler Duo with its 4000 W ampl, my question is distortion level and SQ of 6th order bandpass design vs folded horn design with max SPL level down low and SQ for tight music bass!!

Well the captivator is no slouch for sq. I won't ever get to hear the duo because I just got my cap so I won't be able to compare.

·
Registered
1,699 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jeff Permanian /forum/post/18321682

That was a type "o", I meant: could produce 122db at the listening (room and location play such an effect).

Hu?

·
Registered
8,500 Posts
Maybe I missed something, however, why is the Low mode specified in-room, at the listening position, and the Normal mode is specified "outdoors on the ground".

Why make it more complicated by mixing indoor output in Low mode and outdoor output in Normal mode?

Also, is "outdoors on the ground" at one meter or two meters?

·
Registered
1,410 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by spyboy /forum/post/18322040

Maybe I missed something, however, why is the Low mode specified in-room, at the listening position, and the Normal mode is specified "outdoors on the ground".

Why make it more complicated by mixing indoor output in Low mode and outdoor output in Normal mode?

Also, is "outdoors on the ground" at one meter or two meters?

Two different modes for two different applications, the normal mode is intended for profressional use and the low mode is intended for home theater.

Outdoor measurements are ground plane, one meter.

1 - 20 of 120 Posts