AVS Forum banner
1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
358 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
hey guys, just joined up today and am looking to jump into the hi def world. circuit city has a 42'' LG plasma #42PC3D with a LG 1000W HT system and free firedog installation for $1549 reg $2449 and was wondering what everyones opinion might be on this deal for someone starting out with HDTV. thanks alot!

·
Registered
322 Posts
Place and price is a no-no here - only MSRP allowed.

After a year in HD with another brand I just bought the 50PC3D and have no regrets so far. I would reccommend the tv and the price seems good. We were in fact looking at the 42 until we saw the price drop of the 50. I can't comment on the surround system or the firedog service.

Mike

·
Registered
1,526 Posts
I have the 50PC3D paid a great price at CC. I just had it professionally calibrated and the picture is awesome. You can spend $$ but the picture difference between the high end cost ones is pretty much unnoticeable. If you read around here you will see most makes have some kind of issue or quirk. Good Luck...

·
Registered
358 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
uh oh! sorry, didnt know. just saw that ad and was wondering about the LG brand mainly. 42'' is about my limit as the viewing distance is about 8-9 ft in the living room area where the tv will be going. this plasma gets great reviews but i'm a little concerned about the burn in as my wife tends to fall asleep and leave the tv on all night sometimes.

·
Registered
829 Posts
Spend a few days on here browsing through the plasma threads on here and you'll educate yourself more than any book, magazine, or class could. By then, you should be more confident with whatever decision you make.

·
Registered
169 Posts
I have the 42PC3D. I think the price sounds fair. I am not sure about the firedog service. I have seen a few CC installations in the past, and we'll just say I am not sure I would want them in my house. Things may have changed now though with the introduction of firedog. As far as the tv itself goes, I am very much impressed with it. Picture quality is excellent. The sound is also very very good, although I do not use the speakers. I just tested them out one time. Burn in shouldn't be an issue. There are anti-burn in features on this tv that help prevent it. I have mine set to orbiter which will shift stationary objects slightly every couple minutes I believe. It really is not noticeable at all either. I say definitely go for it, you will not be dissapointed. If you do, please post back after the installation to update us.

·
Registered
4 Posts
I've had mine for a month now, 42pc3d, and I'm very happy with it. The LG is as good as all the other 42" plasmas. I'd even risk heresy and include Pioneer. The speakers are excellent and the picture is great. SD is very nice as well. Blue-Ray discs are absolutely amazing.

·
Registered
829 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by markas214 /forum/post/0

I'd even risk heresy and include Pioneer.

That's Heresey!!!

·
Registered
908 Posts
I have the 50pc3d. Have had it for over a month now and love it.

·
Registered
358 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
thanks for the replies guys. the LG looked very impressive at CC among the other brands. one question though, i have small grandkids and was wondering if its damaging to touch the plasma screen alot. sometimes they will go to the tv and point to something and i was wondering if it hurts the screen in any way?

·
Registered
322 Posts
Well, it is a big piece of thin glass - how strong / rough are they?

If they are old enough, they will respect what falling broken glass can do if you warn them.

Failing that, warn their parents.

Actually the bigger concern will be that you don't damage the screen with whatever you use to clean off all those fingerprints - no Windex or Glass Plus!

Seriously, tell everyone who lives in or is left alone in your home:

no harsh chemicals; it's not a window.

Mike

·
Registered
908 Posts
Teach them not to touch the glass, put it somewhere where they can not touch the glass or do not buy one.

I have not heard of many good experiences when the glass, coating, etc. of todays tv's becoming damaged in some fashion.

All you need is a good quality lint free cloth to gently wipe the surface. My tv is around 6 weeks old and I have passed a cloth gently over it once. And it was virtually dust free. There is very little, if any, static on these screens that attract and hold dust like a magnet.

·
Registered
182 Posts
LG's are good. You may also want to consider the HP 42" plasma. LG makes the plasma panel. They can usually be found for several hundred dollars less than the LG. Also the 50" HP plasma is currently selling for about $100 - 200 more than the LG 42".

1 - 17 of 17 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.