AVS Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi everybody,

This is my first post here. I have been into high end audio for a long time. Had an uncle that was a hi fi salesman and got a few hand me downs along the way. Anyway, I'm building my own 2.1 system now, and I'm looking for a sub. The components I've bought so far include: NAD D3020 integrated amp, Marantz CD6005 CD player, and KEF Q100 bookshelfs. Now, I have been playing with placement, putting a lot of music through the Kefs. I feel they might be underpowered with the 30wpc NAD, but I'll ask that question on another thread. For now, I'm going to try a sub. I've been looking around a lot and have some ideas, but I wanted to throw out my room dimensions (20'l x 10'w x 8'h) and set up and see what the experts think. SVS currently has the SB 1000 at $475. I'm trying to stay around that price. The room is carpeted, with furniture in it, and some hung framed pictures, I am really only interested in listening to music on this kit and I listen to pretty much guitar based music. Anything from bluegrass to heavy metal. I also listen to Jazz, and classical, but much less so. I guess I'm just wondering which other subs I should be looking at along side the svs. And also, for the same price, I could get the kef q series sub, but I'm not sure if it would be my best "musical" choice. Any information would help. Thanks for looking at my thread, and I hope to be here a long time. I've been getting a lot of useful info, but just joined today.

Thanks,

Neal

·
Registered
16,705 Posts
I have the SB-1000. For that size room, I wouldn't expect room beating bass with bass heavy music. But I would imagine it would do OK with those genres, depending on how loud you listen.

With the NAD D3020, you paid premium for the small size. If you can go larger, I would suggest spending your money instead on a Marantz integrated amp or receiver. Q300s might also be a better choice than the smaller Q100s.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Cel4145,

Hi, thanks. I have been second guessing the amp since I bought it. But, I like the connectivity options. Everything I have is still within the returnable time frame. I really think the q100 will be fine with a sub. They are pretty good now, with certain music, where I have them placed. I may return that amp for the marantz pm6005, but then I need to buy Apple TV, too if I want wireless. And then I would be approaching the cost of the NAD D7050. Am I too think that a sealed sub is what I need for those music genres? From what I read here, it seems like a pretty debatable issue. Based on placement and quality mostly. But placement is limited for me, as the wife is gonna want it out of sight for the most part.

·
Registered
1,516 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by shadyJ  /t/1523961/new-guy-needs-help-completing-a-2-1-system#post_24521814

It won't matter if you get a sealed sub or a ported sub for the music you listen to. I would go for a sealed sub just to save space. Some other alternatives, the Hsu VTF1 mk2 and the Reaction BPS 212 .

I thought that for music, it would be better with the tighter bass would come from sealed subs as opposed to the rumbling earthquakes/explosions, etc. that ported sub would be better off doing.

Just asking.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
I'm pretty sure now that I have it down to the Hsu and the Svs. I don't know how much I would mess with the tuning on the Hsu, but it would be nice to "set it and forget it", once I get the bass right. I suppose it would be nice too for when my wife has her friends over and they want to put on dance music. On the other hand, it's also bigger and not as pretty. So I guess the WAF is still up in the air.

·
Banned
8,744 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by charmerci  /t/1523961/new-guy-needs-help-completing-a-2-1-system#post_24523720

I thought that for music, it would be better with the tighter bass would come from sealed subs as opposed to the rumbling earthquakes/explosions, etc. that ported sub would be better off doing.

Just asking.

If the sub is well made, you wouldn't notice the difference between the two designs. There have been blind tests and no one can pick them apart when lower frequencies aren't involved. It's the super cheap HTiB subs that give ported subs a bad name.

·
Banned
8,744 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nealkot  /t/1523961/new-guy-needs-help-completing-a-2-1-system#post_24523804

I'm pretty sure now that I have it down to the Hsu and the Svs. I don't know how much I would mess with the tuning on the Hsu, but it would be nice to "set it and forget it", once I get the bass right. I suppose it would be nice too for when my wife has her friends over and they want to put on dance music. On the other hand, it's also bigger and not as pretty. So I guess the WAF is still up in the air.

For the VTF1, you would want to set it to EQ2 mode with the ports open for what you listen to. On movie night you can set it to EQ1 and close a port for deeper bass if you want.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
I just pulled the trigger on an SVS SB-1000. Thanks for all the input everybody. I'll post back here in a week or so with my thoughts on this set up.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts