AVS Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello everyone,I have a question, I have a basement were my HT system is, the basement itself is 1200sq ft.I have 8 ft ceiling, dry wall , and it has carpet. The area where my system is in a nook about 18ft L and to the left of my sitting area is open to the rest of the basement,My system specs are YAMAHA RXV-2500,L R speakers are INFINTY BETA 50S,INFINTY beta c250 center, surrounds are BETA 20S,and a JBL PB10 150WATT SUB.I was wondering if i should replace my sub WITH A HSU SUB? I was thinking of going for a 10 inch sub (thats all the room i can spare)would this be a good idea? would i notice better bass, also how does my system specs sound too you?Too big of speakers or too small of bass for the room size. Thanks for your help(sorry for the poor spelling) :D, ohh the sub im looking at is the STF-2. One more thing, my Reciver with the YPAO AUTO SETTING set my crossover freq to 60hrz should i change it to 80 or just leave it?Thanks

·
Registered
1,104 Posts
I have a similar basement HT, so I'll try to help.

First, any areas that are open to your HT area must be included when determining the cubic footage you are trying to fill. With that in mind, you may find you need a pretty substantial subwoofer. However, don't judge just by wattage or woofer size. There are compact subs (Sunfire, Velodyne SPL series, Earthquake, Def Tech PowerCubes, et. al.) which use massive amounts of power to produce plenty of output from smaller cabinets with smaller woofers. OTOH, some large cabinet subwoofers with large drivers just don't put out a lot of bass. It's all a matter of design. The subwoofer is a combination of cabinet, driver, motor and amplifier.

The Hsu may work fine, but it might not be large enough. I'd contact Hsu for advice before ordering. Hsu (and SVS, especially) are known for giving good advice without upselling you just for profits). Importantly, it's returnable.

I suggest you get ahold of a Radio Shack SPL meter (analog variety) and a test disc, like AVIA. Try to calibrate your current sub and listen to the results with a variety of source material. Is there sufficient quantity of bass? Are there gross distortions or other noises (like port noise) that make themselves heard when you push the sub to high output levels? What about the quality of the bass? Does bass sound tuneful with music or "one-note-y"? You may find your present sub just needs proper calibration. If you're unhappy, try the Hsu (or SVS, or Outlaw, Axiom, Rocket or any subwoofer you can return). Once you get your sub hooked up and properly calibrated, compare it to your JBL, and see if it's worth the expense.

As for the x-over on the Yammi, the idea is to get a smooth blend from sub to speakers, so you should play around with this setting, since every sub/speaker combo will be different.

·
Registered
185 Posts
I recently upgraded from a comparable JBL subwoofer to the Outlaw LFM-1 and could not be happier. I my basement HT, much like yours, the improvement was immediately apparent.

YMMV, of course.

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
So i should hear some better bass thought that hsu sub right?also how accurate or well does that YAMAHA YPAO confige your settings? anyone know

·
Registered
2,571 Posts
Get the Radio Shack SPL meter, don't depend on the auto config. Even if you just use the meter with free test tones you can find on the 'net, you are better off than the auto config. The meter is ~$40, and doing the calibration is easy (and sort of fun).

1 - 5 of 5 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.