AVS Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
137 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey All-

First off - I'll say I just found this forum a few weeks ago - and wow what a resource- not only for HT but general basement build outs and construction DIY techniques.... some good knowledge here (also burned quite a few hours in amazement seeing what you all can do!)

So - my question- we recently moved into a new home, 3000 sq/ft up and a 1200 lower. Its an unfinished "basement" but not really, it is more than half below grade - on a slope- with 3 sets of french doors to the back yard--- so more of a lower level. My first project is game room--- frame it all, electrical, sheetrock most--

I've started laying up my foam board insulation on areas I'm good with before I start my framing out - but I have a spot I'm unsure as what to do with it... it will be in the pool room.. a 20x20 area, right at the stair landing-

The wall to the left of the stair case is furring strips and 1/2 drywall on block wall all the way down to the landing --- so to keep it a good transition i need to continue this - and not build out a studded wall

I need a good way to hide this hide 36" opening/hinged crawl space access door and not look crazy--- I thought about doing 2 columns (balance it out) off the wall, where the one over the access door was removable by wooden pins.. but I'm shootin' in the dark--- all ideas and opinions welcomed!

What have you all done to conceal areas you will need to access in the future?

See pix, the current transition coming down and the current wall with a freat looking teal access door---

Thanks!

Chris

Tallahassee

·
RETIRED theater builder
36,158 Posts
Finish the wall as planned leaving access to the opening. Then just hang a big piece of artwork or poster in front of the hatchway.

If this is going to be a game room, this is available at Art.com in a 4x3 foot size.

·
Registered
942 Posts
+1 I'm with Big. A nice framed piece of art would solve your problem.

·
Registered
137 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
yes, I thought about that--- but was looking for "creative" alternatives, maybe architecturally---(it would be a huge pic. i guess I could make framed opening make the access door smaller and open to the inside??)

1 - 7 of 7 Posts