AVS Forum banner
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi guys, Ive always wanted to have great sounding audio in my car - I recently got rid of the factory speakers in my 2002 Toyota Camry and replaced them with Alpine 6x9 speakers both front and rear (300 Watts Peak, 75 Watts RMS, Impedance 40 ohms)

I thought it was going to be more powerful than it was so fast forward and I bought a Alpine Mono Power Amplifier (500W RMSx1) and an Alpine Sub (10 inch 1800 Watts Peak - 600 Watts RMS.

I also bought a nice new Sony HeadUnit and can control the Subwoofer through the headunit. It also has an Equalizer curve to control as well. The Headunit also has HP Filter for the speakers and LP Filters for the sub, but my sub also has a LP filter too ?)

I just dont really know how to manage all these items. I looked at the back of my amplifier and saw 3 knobs - GAIN, BASS EQ & LP Filter. I have been messing around on the forums and trying to figure out where each of these options should be set at and have continued to mess with them and change them and cant seem to get everything to gel properly because Im a noob at this.

What should the gain on my amplifier be set to?

What should the LP Filter be set to on my amplifier?

What should the LP Filter on my headunit be set to?

What should the HP Filter on my headunit be set to?

What is the best way to set my EQ on the headunit because this changes the sound too?

Please help, I keep changing all the different options and I know Im not maximizing the sound I could be getting because Im guessing on some of the options.

·
Registered
1,687 Posts
working on it. Give me a sec

·
Registered
1,687 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by thebeatz /forum/post/20822237

Hi guys, Ive always wanted to have great sounding audio in my car - I recently got rid of the factory speakers in my 2002 Toyota Camry and replaced them with Alpine 6x9 speakers both front and rear (300 Watts Peak, 75 Watts RMS, Impedance 40 ohms)

I thought it was going to be more powerful than it was so fast forward and I bought a Alpine Mono Power Amplifier (500W RMSx1) and an Alpine Sub (10 inch 1800 Watts Peak - 600 Watts RMS.

I also bought a nice new Sony HeadUnit and can control the Subwoofer through the headunit. It also has an Equalizer curve to control as well. The Headunit also has HP Filter for the speakers and LP Filters for the sub, but my sub also has a LP filter too ?)

I just dont really know how to manage all these items. I looked at the back of my amplifier and saw 3 knobs - GAIN, BASS EQ & LP Filter. I have been messing around on the forums and trying to figure out where each of these options should be set at and have continued to mess with them and change them and cant seem to get everything to gel properly because Im a noob at this.

What should the gain on my amplifier be set to? That is entirely dependent on your head units output voltage along with where you set the sub level via the head units control. Odds are if you set it at half, you will probably be ok

What should the LP Filter be set to on my amplifier? ~80

What should the LP Filter on my headunit be set to?~80

What should the HP Filter on my headunit be set to?~80

What is the best way to set my EQ on the headunit because this changes the sound too? Yes it does. It can also make your head unit amplifier (the amp in the head unit that is running your 6X9's) and your sub amp work a lot harder. especially when you boost the bass frequencies.

Please help, I keep changing all the different options and I know Im not maximizing the sound I could be getting because Im guessing on some of the options.

See answers in red.

Setting the crossovers on the head unit and sub amp cause a summation so you end up with a steeper slope.

Setting the high pass on the head unit will keep the bass frequencies played by your sub out of them. If the 6X9's distort a bit on bass notes when you are jamming, set the crossover a bit higher. Say 100 or 120. All the crossover does is attenuate the frequencies below your set point. So they will still be played but just at a rapidly declining volume the lower in frequency you go.

Setting your EQ will have to be trial and error based on what you enjoy. Just be careful because bass boost will make your amp work a lot harder. Honestly, leave the boost on the amp alone. or just give it a slight boost.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.