AVS Forum banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Had my new GWII 50 inch delivered on Saturday morning.

First impressions: (all out of the box, without calibration)

The set is aesthetically beautiful! Rather then dish out an additional $1000 for the Sony stand (I am in Toronto now) I opted for the KAXAS series, $100 tv bench from ikea. Believe it or not , I would have spent more , but this bench works perfectly. I removed the metal legs,so it is about 16 inches high, and the width is bang on 38 inches to match the base of the GWII.

Off the bat, went for the sure thing.......put in Monsters Inc. (progressive Sony dvd player using component cables) ......WOW!! Breathtaking color and detail (used the "mild " setting). Initially put the dvd in for a test...ended up watching the whole movie...couldn't stop :D .

Next off, put Splinter Cell in the Xbox (using High def kit) Very,very impressive. Definitely better then my previous set (KP51HW40)and definitely a superb gaming tv!

3rd thing to check out....HDTV using a scientific Atlanta digital HD cable box (through Rogers cable in Toronto)

HD looked amazing...but then again, i have yet to see a HD picture that I do not like.

Lastly, switched to Satellite. RCA DTV+ using s-video. (have a new Sony HD200 still to be hooked up)

The least impressive of the lot. Better then my old set, but I am hoping the HD200 makes me happier. Also, maybe calibration will satisfy me.

Overall, I am extremely happy! Money well spent.

Any must -do calibration tips?????

dmk

·
Registered
199 Posts
I took the advice of others on this forum and adjusted the DRC levels for satellite. I have reality at 0 and clarity at full. Makes an improvement on my set with bellexpressvu sat.

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Peter, what picture mode do you use for satellite....I understand, if you use mild, you cannot adjust the drc levels.

·
Registered
776 Posts
Congrats!

If I may be so bold, may I ask where you bought it and how much you paid? This model retails for $6500 right?

Thanks.

-------------------

GO HABS GO! (Sorry, couldn't resist.)

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Star Electronics in Toronto on the Queensway. Can't say exactly what I paid (have a friend there and I don't want to cause any problems). I know Bay Bloor is asking $6400. I paid less then 6K.;)

·
Registered
7,554 Posts
Quote:
Originally posted by Flave
Congrats!

If I may be so bold, may I ask where you bought it and how much you paid? This model retails for $6500 right?

Thanks.

-------------------

GO HABS GO! (Sorry, couldn't resist.)
The 50" KF-50XBR800 retails for $3999 (US dollars) and the 60" KF-60XBR800 retails for $4999 (US dollars). Most brick&mortar stores (CC, Tweeter, etc.) sell it for 10% off -- i.e., $3599 and $4499, respectively.

·
Registered
7,554 Posts
How would you describe your fan noise? Mine is like a refrigerator fan. I wish it were quieter, and may make a service call -- someone here says their 50" XBR fan is silent, whereas others seem to indicate that mine is typical.

·
Registered
776 Posts
Quote:
Originally posted by dmk
I paid less then 6K.;)
Is that with PST + GST included? Did you price this model at FutureShop?

Thanks.

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
To tell you the truth, I really have not noticed the fan noise . I was more concerned with my satellite picture and Tivo picture. I will "listen " for it tonight. Do you have any calibration tips for sat.? I will try the one above a few posts.

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Flave......check private messages.

·
Registered
7,554 Posts
Quote:
Originally posted by dmk
Had my new GWII 50 inch delivered on Saturday morning.

First impressions: (all out of the box, without calibration)

The set is aesthetically beautiful! Rather then dish out an additional $1000 for the Sony stand (I am in Toronto now) I opted for the KAXAS series, $100 tv bench from ikea. Believe it or not , I would have spent more , but this bench works perfectly. I removed the metal legs,so it is about 16 inches high, and the width is bang on 38 inches to match the base of the GWII.
The IKEA Kaxas ($59 US $$) looks like it only has metal legs, and that it only stands 16-7/8" tall to begin with.

http://www.ikea-usa.com/product_pres...ype=ART&id=471

How did you remove the legs and reduce the height by only 7/8"?

Also ... does it only have 1 shelf as pictured, and the legs underneath go straight to the floor over open space (i.e., no lower shelf)? One reason I chose not to get this wonderfully-priced stand was the fact that it only seemed to have 1 shelf and that space below was just legs and no shelf.

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
That's the smaller one. Mine has 2 levels of shelves....4 shelves in total.

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
One more.....

·
Registered
15 Posts
Quote:
Originally posted by eweiss
How would you describe your fan noise? Mine is like a refrigerator fan. I wish it were quieter, and may make a service call -- someone here says their 50" XBR fan is silent, whereas others seem to indicate that mine is typical.
I've had my GWII-50" for about a week now, and have not experienced the fan noise that I've seen described in other posts. To be honest, during the course of using the set over the past week I have never been aware of the fan being on at all, so it is either very quiet or not coming on for some reason...

·
Registered
199 Posts
dmk,

I use standard mode. I should mention that I grew up with three channels and rabbit ears with quite a bit of static. So my tastes may not be well refined. I do not miss the rural lifestyle.

My fan is barely audible. It is 18" from the wall. I think someone on this forum has mentioned that there are service menu adjustments for fan speed.

·
Registered
7,554 Posts
Quote:
Originally posted by dmk
One more.....
I'll have to recheck the IKEA page -- I only saw the smaller version named KAXAS. Thanks! I see you put your CC speaker on a shelf on top.

What kind of shelves does it have -- fully height-adjustable, or fixed in the middle (heightwise)? Is there a center support in the cabinet, or do the shelves freely span the stand so that can one put a center channel speaker on the shelf below the TV (with the glass doors removed, of course) in the center of the top shelf?

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
The shelves are height adjustable...but there is a vertical divider in the middle....so its either left or right. For $100 can., it looks great!

1 - 18 of 18 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.