AVS Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
715 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
optoma H31 bulb finally died

$250 for a new bulb or upgrade to 720p? at $1K HD65? AX200U?

i am still in the dark ages of DVD's and Wii gaming

but my new camera has HDMI 1080i/ 720p output and that is intriguing me

anyone have good deals on bulbs?

thoughts?

David

·
Registered
935 Posts
$250 for a new lamp is usually a good deal.

A 720p DLP should be well under $1000 today. Check some of the threads around here for the HC1500, Sharp DT-510 or others. Now whether or not you'll want to upgrade is another matter. With your source material, you're still at 480p, but will probably eventually move to HD sources. Usually, I'd suggest buying another projector, but you might want to spring for a new lamp and watch it for a while. When a really good deal pops up on a 720p projector, buy it. Then sell the H31. It will probably be worth more than the price you pay for the new lamp. I'm not sure how much it would be worth today with a blown lamp.

Jim

·
Registered
7,140 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by BuffaloJim /forum/post/14254254

$250 for a new lamp is usually a good deal.

A 720p DLP should be well under $1000 today. Check some of the threads around here for the HC1500, Sharp DT-510 or others. Now whether or not you'll want to upgrade is another matter. With your source material, you're still at 480p, but will probably eventually move to HD sources. Usually, I'd suggest buying another projector, but you might want to spring for a new lamp and watch it for a while. When a really good deal pops up on a 720p projector, buy it. Then sell the H31. It will probably be worth more than the price you pay for the new lamp. I'm not sure how much it would be worth today with a blown lamp.

Jim

Good advice.

As far as HDMI for cameras is concerned, you'll want to rethink your position. Today's typical camera is 6 to 8 megapixels, 720p PJ...less than one. Sure, it will work, but...

·
Registered
10,434 Posts
At this stage of the game, its hard not to recommend moving up to 720p. The fact that you will generally get a better DLP chip, alot more light output, and no more screendoor is one area of benefit.

However there are some caveats too...the fan noise on the H31 is almost inaudable (from memory!).....on both of my 720p PJ's its slightly louder even when in low fan/econo mode......also you may need a new mount..depends on what you have now.

Seeing a 480p PJ in action I can tell you....its nice not to see the screendoor anymore

·
Registered
715 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
thanks guys for the kind advice

bought a replacement bulb and will just wait until the 1080p projectors drop down in price more which was my original plan

it looks like my next purchase is going to be a tv since my 18 year old tube tv is starting to show its age

thanks again for the good advice

David

1 - 5 of 5 Posts