AVS Forum banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have been an HTPC owner/user for less than a week. Unfortunately, I have been very UNDERWHELMED by the Picture Quality (PQ) that I’m getting so far. I get far better PQ with the S-video output of a DirectTV STB connected directly to my 42†Plasma than I do with my HTPC:

DirectTV STB (S-video) -> Holo3d -> Radeon 9000 (VGA Breakout) -> 42†Plasma

Because I spend most of my time watching DirectTV (as opposed to DVD’s), I wanted to make sure that the HTPC could display the DirectTV signal datapath as cleanly as possible. Based on the glowing reports I’ve read here, I went out and bought the Holo3dGraph thinking that it was the best PQ solution for scaling/processing the signal I could get out of the DirectTV STB. While there appears to be some improvements in the picture (fewer jagged edges (antialiasing?)), the overall picture seems muddled, much softer, and colors that are too, err, uhh, colorful (oversaturated?).

What I’m hoping for are some answers as to how I can improve the picture quality.

Clearly, I may need to re-calibrate my HTPC/Plasma. I’m not EXACTLY sure how.

I have the Avia Setup DVD and, in combination with TheaterTek, have gone through the basic Video setup (with results that have been less than fantastic for the DirectTV signal). Trying this has brought up all kinds of questions:

1) When I’m calibrating using Avia/TheaterTek, what do I do with the other sources that are able to change the calibration (i.e. the Holo3d software and the contrast/picture/etc. controls on my Plasma), set them to “zero†??

2) When I’m calibrating using Avia/TT (the signal from DVD to my Display), does it even effect the other signal (DirectTV->H3d->Radeon->Display) ?? Do I have to recalibrate for all my video sources or is Avia supposed to take care of the whole system calibration ??

3) If the Avia/TT calibration does nothing for the DirectTV calibration, how do I calibrate the H3D ?? What do I use for test patterns ??

4) I’ve seen lots of info about “Cliff’s scoped settings for Radeon (Catalyst version blah blah)â€. When I try those same settings, my picture looks awful (which, after playing with those settings on my system I think are due to the fact that Brightness = 0%).

Thanks for any help you can give,

Chris

·
Registered
271 Posts
Chris,

Hasve you checked the immersive private forum to get Cliff's scoped settings for the H3d as well as TT and the ATI overlay settings?

He has settings for all of these.

After these are set then recal your plasma with Avia through TT.

The colors are more saturated on my setup also, but I like it that way because the DRC circuit in my TV seemed to make them muted before.

Also the colors are much more "pure" i.e. yellow is yellow while still having the saturation set correct.

If you can't find the settings in the forum I will dig them up for you.

Hope this helps :)

·
Registered
814 Posts
Chris,

Try the following settings to see if they do anything for you:

ATI Overlay:

Brightness: -35

Contrast: +143

Gamma: 1.2 (adjust for your display)

H3D:

White Level: -9

Black Level: +9

Saturation: -5

Chip Contrast: 8

That should give you a place to start, they are based on Cliff's scoped settings and other posts. They are however CRT based so you will have to play with it for your setup. Offhand I would say drop the saturation down under the H3D further and bring it back up under the ATI overlay.

Also hit www.immersiveforum.com and register there and send Tom a email for access to the private support forums. You will find misc bits of info there, including beta drivers, beta software drops etc.

-pd

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Here's a stupid question (I don't have access to the HTPC at the moment so I can't play around and figure where these should be changed):

How do I change the values in the ATI overlay ? Where do I do it ? Is this something that TheaterTek is supposed to do ?

Chris

·
Registered
814 Posts
Fire up the H3D software, right click on the screen, go into windowed mode, right click on desktop, go to properties, advanced, and you should see an overlay tab if the drivers and control panel are properly installed. Adjust in there apply/ok and go back to H3D fullscreen. Overly settings should be saved.

-pd

·
Registered
455 Posts
pdermody, I believe the contrast should be +143 (actually i think it is 145 in Cliff's posts). I'm very pleased after applying Cliff's settings

1 - 7 of 7 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.