AVS Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I bought a HS-2000 off eBay about a year and a half ago, and it was working great until a few weeks ago when it went into the reboot loop. Sometimes it would work fine for a bit but then start to go crazy, sometimes it wouldn't even power on properly.

I tried repatching the hard drive (didn't do a lower level format) and that didn't work. I can't format/patch on my own (I only have a laptop and Mac), and rather than trying to comandeer a friend's computer for the LLF, I figured I'd save myself the hassle and bought a pre-formatted drive.

When I installed the pre-formatted drive, it worked well for about an hour, then when I tried to record something, it went into the reboot loop, which is exactly the same thing that happened with the original drive.

Unless by some strange coincidence BOTH of the drives are bad (I really doubt the new one is), there's something else wrong. I've scoured this and other forums, FAQs, etc, and the only two possibilities I've found are

1) the fuse / power supply needs to be replaced

2) the whole thing is broken

I'm really hoping it's #1, but would be even more upset if I tried that and it turned out that didn't fix it (b/c I've already spent a bunch of money trying to fix something that probably wasn't broken).

So...

- Is it likely that my new hard drive is bad?

- Should I try to replace the power supply? How much (more) would that cost?

- Has anyone else run into anything like this?

- What would you do?

Thanks...

·
Registered
4,612 Posts
I've come across two showstoppers with reboot issues identical to what you describe. I discovered whenever the 5 volt power drops to 4.5 the recorder reboots. Installing a better power supply corrected the problem. I have several PS on hand. $45 delivered.

To save money you can measure your voltage to verify it resembles what I describe or buy my PS and return it for a refund (less actual shipping) if it doesn't fix the problem.

·
Registered
518 Posts
I posted last week about a Showstopper I recently picked up, which exhibited the continuous reboot loop, even after a drive upgrade and reimaging (using build 107 which I already had on my PC from my original SS upgrade a few years ago).

Suspecting the power supply, I took the cover off of it today to probe it with a voltmeter, and I'm seeing a constant 4.99-5.00v. Knock on wood, I haven't had a reboot in a few hours, which is a record for this machine.

Mikeboy, with the defective PS's you've seen, did they fluctuate, and when it got down to 4.5 the reboots would happen? Or did they put out a constant 4.5v all the time?

·
Registered
4,612 Posts
Quote:
Originally posted by Mike Cornwell
I posted last week about a Showstopper I recently picked up, which exhibited the continuous reboot loop, even after a drive upgrade and reimaging (using build 107 which I already had on my PC from my original SS upgrade a few years ago).

Suspecting the power supply, I took the cover off of it today to probe it with a voltmeter, and I'm seeing a constant 4.99-5.00v. Knock on wood, I haven't had a reboot in a few hours, which is a record for this machine.

Mikeboy, with the defective PS's you've seen, did they fluctuate, and when it got down to 4.5 the reboots would happen? Or did they put out a constant 4.5v all the time?
I would see 4.8 and over several hours the voltage dropped to 4.5. Likely the majority of Showstoppers will run fine at 4.5. It is a select few that need 4.8 or so to work correctly.

·
Registered
518 Posts
I don't think so. The Showstopper was running without the easybake cover, or it's case cover, and was doing the reboot loop nonstop.

For the heck of it, I downloaded the 202 image (with the manual clock setting tool, just in case :) ) that Mikeyboy hosts, instead of using the 107 image that I had on file, or the 202 image that was on the machine when I received it. I doubt this is why it's acting better, I'll give it a week and see.

-Mike

·
Registered
3 Posts
Seems like a lot of people have been having constant reboot problems lately - I've hit the same problem with my PV-HS2000:

Unit was bought in summer of 2000, so about 3 years old. Upgraded to an 80GB Maxtor drive about 2 years ago and never had any problems with it until about 2 weeks ago. Woke up one morning, and as soon as I turned on the replay, it got stuck in the infinite reboot-loop. I found that if I hit the power button before it started showing live TV that it wouldn't reboot. After doing this, saw about 30 1-minute recordings of a show that it records in the middle of the night, so it had been rebooting in the middle of the night, too.

Took the drive out, low-level formatted it, re-imaged, and put it back in. Worked for a couple of days and then the problem came back. Took the drive out again, another low-level format and ran all the Maxtor diagnostics - no problem with the drive. Put it back in, and it started rebooting after about 1 hour.

I'll try another drive, in the hopes that maybe the diagnostics are just not picking up any problems with the drive, and check the voltage as well. However it seems a bit suspicious that so many people have been having reboot problems lately.

An interesting point I figured out, and am curious if others have noted is this: As long as the replay is not trying to record anything, it seems to behave just fine - recorded shows play fine, channel guide is fine, etc. But as soon as I try to watch live TV through either the cable input or line input - it instantly starts rebooting. Has anyone else with the reboot problem noticed this?

·
Registered
4,612 Posts
For what it's worth I got an email from someone with the random reboot problem. They did 777 zones RFD and after several days the rebooting still hasn't returned.

·
Registered
4,612 Posts
Jeff emailed me and said his showstopper is working fine with the original drive now that the power supply is replaced.

·
Registered
9 Posts
RTV units are basically little PC's with a tuner and hard drive. I repair PC's. In my experience when a PC has mysterious reboot problems it is almost always a power supply problem. Most of the supplies sold today are built as cheap as possible. When they work they work great but when then don't they don't often die totally. Usually one of the voltages gets flaky or intermittent and what looks like a good supply probably isn't. In PC's it's really easy to swap out the supply without even installing it in the case. A quick swap for a known reliable supply is the quickest diagnosis.

The other thing to consider is dirt. In supplies with a fan sometimes dirt builds up and causes overheating. At times hot supplies shut down as protection. If you don't have a spare supply consider using compressed air to blow out the cob webs. Might work - Might not.

I haven't opened my in warantee RTV units but I would guess a supply swap wouldn't be hard.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Borrowed a voltage meter to check the power supply on my rebooting replay - sure enough, the voltage was down in the 4.4 range. I power-cycled it to try and measure when it wasn't rebooting (usually my box would be fine as long as it wasn't getting input), but that must have corrupted the image, because it didn't even boot up after that.

I re-imaged, figuring it would start rebooting again in a couple hours, but it hasn't had a problem since then (about 2 weeks now). I'm fairly certain it was the power supply, but I'll wait until it starts rebooting again just to confirm.

What are the options for power supply replacement? Mikeyboy - are your power supplies basically identical to the existing ones? Or are they just an AT power supply modified to fit in the case?

1 - 12 of 12 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.