AVS Forum banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
99 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Anyone else notice that when their units dial out for the night, for the last month or so when it gets to "checking for new hard disk recorder software" it now sits on that message for up to a minute (sometimes even longer) when it used to skip past it and be there for less than a second? Everything else downloads lightning fast, and that is the only screen that sits there for that long.

Is there new features that we should be getting, but for some reason it's not getting the update correctly? Should I try to do a net connect anytime I can to try and "force" the update?

I have a Showstopper, Ver 3.0 (build 107 - 4-11-2001)

·
Registered
99 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
grrrrr :mad: No offense to you (you answered my question, and was very helpful), but if this is the kind of "support" that I will be given for my $500+ unit from SB/Replay, I am not really willing to spend $700+ (4000 series) for the same thing to happening in about a year's time.

[note: I didn't mean for this to turn into another "4000" thread, but it just erks me that they won't be offering anymore updates (features) or a trade-in type option for us current users. It's almost like we're being left in the dark here! :rolleyes: ]

·
Registered
2,263 Posts
Quote:
Originally posted by Zyph
[note: I didn't mean for this to turn into another "4000" thread, but it just erks me that they won't be offering anymore updates (features) or a trade-in type option for us current users. It's almost like we're being left in the dark here! :rolleyes: ]
There is a $100 rebate on all of the 4000's except for the 40 hour model. Just curious, does your TV manufacturer give you a trade-in option when they come out with a new model?

·
Registered
96 Posts
Quote:
Originally posted by BrettStah

There is a $100 rebate on all of the 4000's except for the 40 hour model. Just curious, does your TV manufacturer give you a trade-in option when they come out with a new model?
My TV manufacturer didn't promise software upgrades during the evening dialups. Nor did they decide to quit producing TVs that I can afford. They may produce high-end models, but they won't leave me high-end dry...

bill

·
Registered
321 Posts
This has been discussed at length but the ReplayGuys said that the current models are at their technological limits. They have very little memory and can't handle big upgrades like commercial skip, etc. Unless your unit came with 3.0 installed you got a software upgrade. With the explanation given I can handle not getting another major upgrade. If they ever pull the dialup network though...

·
Registered
36 Posts
I consider the modem hanging up problem that seems to be a common issue with many users to be a MAJOR bug. I hope they plan on fixing it ... soon.

·
Registered
4,612 Posts
Quote:
Originally posted by RandyL712
Stop complaining.

RandyL712, Your attitude needs adjusting. I used to enjoy this forum. Now I think it's time to go. Think about your rude comments toward newbies. You like to give advice how are you at taking it.

·
Registered
88 Posts
Quote:
Mikeyboy wrote: I used to enjoy this forum. Now I think it's time to go.
Unfortunatly, I think the usefulness of this forum is just about gone. With the lack of support for the installed base by ReplayTV, there is nothing new to talk about here. This leaves only the complaints, which get old. I too am having hangup problems, but it is clear the new ReplayTV/SonicBlue has no desire to devote manpower to fix a problem on "legacy" equipment.

Maybe once the 4000 models come out there will once again be a reason for the people who get those machines to use this forum.

As for me, I will use my 3060 and 2060 until the day they turn off the dial in service, but I really can't justify spending another $1000+ to get a machine with limited new features and that will not be supported in another 6-12 months. I will either get a used machine or maybe someone will come out with a modestly priced DVR by then.

·
Registered
1,830 Posts
Everyone play nice.

Dialup problems are an issue for Replay. But when you say The 'hangup' problem, you might as well be referring to the 'crash' problem with Windows. What 'hangup' problem are you referring to, and what have you done to resolve it? Is there an open thread where you've discussed this? When the problem is yours, it's incredibly important to you to solve. But it masks the fact that the vast majority of users have absolutely no problems with connecting.

Most of the time dialup problems are either on the user side (an issue with the line, jack, or other devices on the line), or could be solved by changing the number you dialup on.

The point is made that since there aren't a lot of new users on the forum, its mostly full of people complaining about whatever the current topic is. Right now it's "I'm not going to pay $700 for..... blah blah blah." That's pretty tiresome. But the forum is only as good as the users.

·
Registered
6,207 Posts
Quote:
Originally posted by Mikeyboy
RandyL712, Your attitude needs adjusting.
Go reread the original author's post. Complaining about 'support' for things that haven't gone wrong. They offer us $100 off a new unit, but apparently that's not a trade in policy or whatever.

JLeavens is right - people here now complain about utter [email protected] because there aren't any real issues to complain about. And it's tiresome. But I'm not perfect - and I do get irritated and it shows in some of my posts. But this recent post wasn't even meant as rude - all it said was "stop complaining". and I stand by that advice :D

·
Registered
99 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Ok, I wasn't complaining about "support for things that haven't gone wrong", in fact, I thought there WAS something wrong with my unit and was thinking I was heading toward an issue with it sitting in that screen longer and longer. I took what rock_doctor said as a good answer, but as it continues to happen and taking longer and longer, I'm worried I'm running into a bug in the SW.

I had made the comment about the 4000 units because I keep seeing them pushed and pushed (on my current Replay) while it almost seems like while this is a small "bug", I am worried about bigger errors I may have and not get fixed. (even after I paid for the "extended warranty" through Panasonic). Plus them costing more than the previous models and almost expecting us to "throw away" the old units (since they are not compatible with the new features). I personally don't see it as a logical decision (esp in current economy) to go and "throw away" an old $500 unit and spend ANOTHER $699+ for a couple new features.

This is part of what erks me, I see a $100 discount (off the $999+ units only, mind you), and many see that as being "enough". I don't. I spent less on my original 30 hr unit to begin with. Plus this "$100 discount" is being offered to non-replay customers too....my friend had registered on Replay's website for the contest (when they were previously offering for a free 30 hr unit) and was sent the SAME $100 discount in both snail mail and e-mail. I have previously (in other posts) made it very clear I wasn't EXPECTING a trade in, but basically some way for those of us who can't be spending $1K in the first place to get a slightly better price on the 40 hr model (since that is very close to what many of us have now), just as being loyal customers. This isn't a terriable request. Even just being able to USE that $100 discount on the 40 hr model would shut me up about the prices.

People may SEEM to complain about "utter crap" here on the board because they want to make sure they don't have something wrong with their unit (or do in fact have a non-working unit).....and while it may seem like "crap" to you because you have already dealt with it, not everyone else has. The FAQ helps alot, but there is only so much stuff that is covered there and new stuff is getting added all the time because of the "complaining". I PERSONALLY have run into MANY issues with my unit (some preventing the unit from running, some with issues that we all now know as "bugs") and from the patience and kindness of SOME of the people here, I have found ways to fix what happened, many times within a day (alot less time than a response from Replay would have taken). Problems like the SS "CC Bug" (which STILL hasn't been 100% fixed, and is still a pain), the "mis-timed show" bug (or where the show seems to be cut off), missing guide data, shows that won't delete, shows that won't record, messages that won't stop appearing, connection problems......the list goes on and on. It's only the advice, and help of the "collective" (ok, I watched too much ST:TNG in my lifetime :rolleyes: ) that helps everyone.....which is what a board like this is FOR! If you stop letting people come here for help and advice on what YOU consider "utter crap" than there is no point to have a board. People need to have others to turn to for answers (in fact, I have helped many from experience and learning too).

I think the point everyone needs to see is the fact that while some posts seem to be the same problems over and over, this is partially because some of the problems STILL haven't been fixed with units that have been out "in the field" for more than a year (some even 2+ years). This also discourages people from purchasing a NEW unit that not only costs more, but may or may not have these issues FIXED.....you may see many who are more than willing to buy a new unit once all the bugs in the old ones are fixed. Many users don't find it worthwhile (money wise) to be buying new products to have issues "fixed".....look at Windows. For years, people have complained until they were blue in the face for the fact that they are being driven to spend all that money on an "upgrade" that really should have been free "patches" for their current system. But this piece of equipment is a $700+ "upgrade", which I personally CAN'T AFFORD, esp right now. (I had to finance my SS last year, I don't regret doing so, but I can't keep doing that.) I personally don't have a "disposable income" of $1K+ a year (or every 2 years).

While you have a right to get irritated in your posts, so do we. We see issues in equipment that causes us grief, so we complain, and then we get pissed off when instead of FIXING those problems, they release new equipment and expect us to spend that money instead. If I HAD $2K to buy one, I would do it in a heartbeat, but I don't......I'll be lucky to have a half-decent christmas this year with being laid off in July and not being able to find a replacement job (I'm stuck working PT jobs until I do so). The economy isn't in the greatest condition, and many are not about to spend $2K when they don't know if they will have a job TOMORROW!

So before you pass judgement on others, see it from their perspective FIRST. (as the old saying goes "Until you walk a mile in someone's shoes, you cannot fully understand what they are going through." [or something like that])

Quote:
Originally posted by RandyL712
Go reread the original author's post. Complaining about 'support' for things that haven't gone wrong. They offer us $100 off a new unit, but apparently that's not a trade in policy or whatever.

JLeavens is right - people here now complain about utter [email protected] because there aren't any real issues to complain about. And it's tiresome. But I'm not perfect - and I do get irritated and it shows in some of my posts. But this recent post wasn't even meant as rude - all it said was "stop complaining". and I stand by that advice :D

·
Registered
1,830 Posts
I simply make this comment:

Replay would have probably been out of business without Sonicblue. Sonicblue makes no money off the boxes the old Replay company sold. Their money will be made off the new boxes that are sold.

Now with that said, what do you think you would do if you had finite resources? Put them towards the old boxes or the new? Might it suck for you if you have an old box? Sure. But don't expect Sonicblue to put a lot of effort into making the old boxes continue to work. I expect them to fulfill their basic obligations, but what's the point of strectching your resources thin where there is little to zero revenue possible?

1 - 13 of 13 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.