AVS Forum banner
1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey guys

I'm relatively new to all this audiophile stuff, but I come here because I recently purchased a new TV and to go with it, I am in need of a nice set of speakers (preferably a nice 5.1) to go with it.

Unfortunately, for a while I was in the psuedo-audiophile phase, where I considered bose to be decent, but after reading some rather distressing articles on it here in the internet when I was searching for a decent amp for the acoustimass system, I have come to you guys for assistance in solving 2 problems for me....

1) Is bose really REALLY that bad? most of the bad articles seem to be quite dated, have bose picked up the game or are they still dire?

2) If the answer to the first question is yes, can you recommend a system to me (in and around the £500 mark [with a bit of leeway] and preferably available to buy in the UK, austerity cuts be damned)? I know brands like Denon/Yamaha are quite good but again, I have no idea what would be decent and what wouldn't be...

Thanks in advance

Vik

PS: The TV has a coaxial audio output, so preferably a system with a coax input would be appreciated... :p

EDIT - the Yamaha YSP-2200 tempts me. Opinions?

·
Registered
7,253 Posts
Well, Bose isn't bad, per see....just two facts. 1. Same satellites from ANY company cannot produce a full range of sound AND Bose satellties come with no tweeter; Bose does NOT have a true subwoofer.

2. Bose is overpriced.

If you want a small satellite system, one can be had that sounds better than Bose, mostly because they come with real subwoofers and not a "bass module"...from a host of companies for 1/2 to even 1/3 the cost of Bose!

Also, the Bose satellites only work with the bass module, so even if you like the sound coming from them, you won't be able to pair them with a real subwoofer.

1 - 2 of 2 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.