Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
413 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Just got my Sony HD 200 today from UE. Here are 2 initial questions:

1. Has anyone been successful in getting a second remote to operate the HD 200? The receiver's remote is great, but my wife and I each like to have a remote (a control thing that often leads to battling remotes). I have the remote from my old RCA receiver, closely followed the programming instructions including using the code for Sony, and it just won't work. I can't even get my Sony GWII remote to operate the HD 200, and this TV remote used to operate the RCA!

2. At my salesman's recommendation, I hooked up the HD 200 to my GWII with both DVI and component so I could toggle back-and-forth to compare PQ depending upon the source (DirectTV, OTA, individual channels). Is this worth pursuing?

·
Registered
92 Posts
randall,

See my response to your post under Rear Projectors. And by the way, the thumb mouse in the middle of the RM-Y912 remote will also work on the HD-200.

·
Registered
1,511 Posts
I use an MX-500 remote for everything - including my HD200.

·
Registered
531 Posts
on dvi connection has anyone seen a (dont know what to call it) like a line moving from right to left on dark images? i think its only on hd channels

·
Registered
3,723 Posts
Quote:
Originally posted by gashog301
on dvi connection has anyone seen a (dont know what to call it) like a line moving from right to left on dark images? i think its only on hd channels
Funny you mention that. I just got the Zenith 520 yesterday (it's pretty much the same box as the Sony, both are made by LG) and I noticed that faint white line moving side to side on dark HD images also. One difference though, I'm using component inputs. I didn't notice this on my two previous Sony 200s, which were returned for other reasons.

Damn I'm getting sick of these glitches on such expensive equipment!

·
Registered
413 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
To help my remote problem, today I picked up a Sony RM-VL900. Probably due to its 4 batteries, it gets picked up better than the 2-battery standard HD200 remote. Plus it can operate all my components without the need to open a flip cover. I chose it over the RM-AV3000 because it's a one-hander and is much easier on the pocketbook.

·
Registered
413 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Yep rgathright -- and as you know, AV mode switching is something the HD200 remote can't do. I did have to reprogram four buttons to replicate the Dot, Exit, Wide mode and Pic mode (latter two from the HD200 remote -- wouldn't "take" from the GWII remote). In case you're curious, I used PIP, Pause, Stop, and Record -- the first I rarely use, the other three having no function in Sat mode. The RN-VL900 also has System buttons which you can program in strings of actions such as turning on your TV and Sat at the same time. Indeed System 1 and System 3 are preset to all Sony systems off and on -- a nice treat for us Sony guys.

·
Registered
4,886 Posts
I started to check the Sony RM-VL900, when my wife reminded me of a

remote I had given to me about 5 years ago. I found it in the TV stand,

cleaned it up and programmed all of my equipment and it works great.

Most important is that it was free and just collecting dust. It is the Home

Theater Master SL-9000.

Most of the functions was immediately inputed with the Code and the rest

was easily programmed in with the learning section.

·
Registered
1,501 Posts
Am I the only one that finds the 200 disappointing in the area of remote reception? I miss the 100's rf feature and I am disappointed that I can't make an end around run and bypass the 200 receptor with the I link that seems to have been left off the 200. Tried Marantz remote with little improvement. Art

·
Registered
3,723 Posts
Well, the Zenith went back this morning and that's officially it for me and this product line. Two Sonys and now one Zenith, all of which were faulty in some aspect or another. Unbelievable. It's too bad, because when they worked, they gave the best damn (sniff!) picture of any HD STB out there.

Boy do I wish I hadn't sold my DST-3000 and Panny right about now - neither of which ever gave me a lick of trouble. Sometimes in a haste to get the latest and allegedly greatest, you get rid of a perfectly good product all in the name of upgrading.

·
Registered
331 Posts
The Sony HD200 remote situation is difficult - for some strange reason you have to point it at the receiver within some maximum angle of straight in order to get it to respond. They need to get that better on the next model.

·
Registered
506 Posts
Here's one idea to improve IR range and wide allowable receiver angle:

Place remote IR flashers on your AV equipment to extend IR range and allow you to place the equipment out of sight. (ie. Xantech, etc.)

1 - 16 of 16 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.