AVS Forum banner
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
Joined
·
139 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello folks & happy Memorial Day. Just picked up a D2 from Costco. Have everything hooked up correctly but cannot get the LFE output anywhere close to where it was before with my previous 480p DVD player. The current firmware on my D2 unit is 1.3 and I've not downloaded 1.6 yet.


Here's my set-up & how everything is hooked-up. I thought since my Pio receiver (VSX-84TXSi) has the latest firmware update (see #'s below) plus doing the specified +10 LFE boost, I would no longer have any LFE issues. Hopefully, the problem is something else obvious that I'm overlooking. Any assistance would be greatly appreciated.


Here's the firmware version on my Pio receiver.

M1.002 F0.503

D1.003 H1.005

Host 28

f1.004 s1.001


The D2 is connected to the receiver via HDMI

The receiver is connected to my Panny 50PX50U plasma via HDMI


As for the audio settings on the D2:

Digital Out for HDMI is set to "Auto" (changing it to PCM does not help).


What am I doing wrong?
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
139 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
Anyone? There's got to be someone out there who has a Pioneer Elite receiver (84 or 82 model) mated with a D2 or A2, using HDMI.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
6,213 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by SneakyPete /forum/post/0


Anyone? There's got to be someone out there who has a Pioneer Elite receiver (84 or 82 model) mated with a D2 or A2, using HDMI.

The pre-January Elite 82/84 doesn't include the necessary ability to boost the HDMI LPCM LFE channel by 10dB. A free patch is available via Pioneer support to make it selectable (like the multichannel analog input LFE +10dB). You'll need to register your Elite.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,193 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by SneakyPete /forum/post/0


Anyone? There's got to be someone out there who has a Pioneer Elite receiver (84 or 82 model) mated with a D2 or A2, using HDMI.

I've got a Pioneer Elite 82 (manufactured Jan 2007) and a HD-A2 connected via HDMI, as well as a PT-AX100U connected via HDMI to the receiver. In the HD-A2's setup menu, I selected PCM for both HDMI and SPDif output. On the receiver, I enabled the SW IN +10dB (LFE) boost and everything seems to be working perfectly. FWIW, my sub is a Definitive PF15TL+ and the gain control is set exactly in the middle. Not sure what the firmware version is on the HD-A2 but as far as I know, that shouldn't be an issue.


Bradley
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
139 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Trevor, Thanks for the reply. According to Pioneer (as well as other forum members) my 84 unit already contains the latest updates, which are supposed to address the low LFE over HDMI issue. My 84 has a Jan 07 build date and the firmware version I had posted earlier proves it's already updated. Therefore, the specified procedure to correctly boost LFE output by +10 dB should work just fine. However, it clearly does not in my case. There's got to be another setting on either the 84 or the D2 that I've missed.


Bradley, Thanks for the feedback. I also tried setting PCM as the output for both HDMI and SPDIF on the D2. Unfortunately, this has no effect on bass. Running auto MCACC and then even manually increasing the LFE by another 2dB in the channel level menu, still does not help.


Arghhh!!!!
 

·
Premium Member
Joined
·
356 Posts
Pete-


I don't remember off the top of my head but you need to enable the LFE boost on the receiver- it is not auto-


Also I ended up doing my own room adjustment and not the auto mcacc as it pulled out too much of the bass extension for my taste...


good luck
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,193 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by SneakyPete /forum/post/0


Bradley, Thanks for the feedback. I also tried setting PCM as the output for both HDMI and SPDIF on the D2. Unfortunately, this has no effect on bass. Running auto MCACC and then even manually increasing the LFE by another 2dB in the channel level menu, still does not help.

That sucks. Sure seems like you've got the right firmware and done everything you are supposed to do. The first 82 receiver I got was an older one (Oct 2006) and definitely had the LFE problem but I was able to exchange it for a brand new unit that already has the new firmware. Since then it's been great. I suppose there is the possibility either your 84 or D2 is defective. Only way to find out is probably to swap out with known good units. Hopefully your Pioneer dealer can help you out as far as the receiver is concerned. Good luck!


Bradley
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
139 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by kevink109 /forum/post/0


Pete-


I don't remember off the top of my head but you need to enable the LFE boost on the receiver- it is not auto-

Thanks, Kevin. I'm pretty certain I've already enabled the LFE boost on the receiver. I believe the correct procedure is to place the unit in standby mode. Then press & hold both the Video Select and Standby/On button for a few seconds until "SW IN +10dB" appears on the display.



Bradley, Actually my Pio dealer has been great and already let me swap my previous 84 unit (which had a June 06 build date) with the current one (which has a Jan 07 build date). I may simply buy another D2 from Costco to see if I can definitively eliminate a defective D2 as the cause.



AZHTGeek, I have not yet attempted to update my D2 (which is currently at ver1.3). However, from what everyone tells me, updating to ver 1.6 should not help since later firmware versions did not address any low LFE over HDMI issues.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
6,213 Posts
You say you earlier swapped a June/2006 for the Jan/2007. Did you notice whether there was a difference in LFE behavior between the two? Do you notice a difference in the LFE between having the boost enabled Vs. disabled? Have you tried disabling the MCACC (set to 'OFF') and see if you can get the desired result then?


PS. Have you checked the D2 5.1 audio output levels configuration to make sure the LFE is set to the same level as the other channels?
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,877 Posts
I know this isn't probably all that helpful, but I've got a D2 connected via HDMI to a Denon receiver. The LFE sounds at least as loud, if not louder, than it did on my previous Panasonic RP-77 over optical. I haven't touched any adjustments on the sub or the Denon.


1.6FW on the D2.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
139 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Thanks, jfischer. Every bit of information that I can gather helps.


Trevor, great questions & suggestions. I only purchased the D2 after I swapped my 84. Therefore, I was not able to compare LFE (over HDMI) between the old and newer 84 unit. I did feel there was a slight improvement in LFE output over digital coax on my regular DVD player. However, I'm thinking that was more of a placebo effect from knowing that I now had an 84 with all the latest firmware updates. I have not disabled the +10dB boost or turned off MCACC to see if there is any difference. I will try these tomorrow (as well as updating my D2 to ver1.6) and report back then.

Quote:
Originally Posted by TrevorS /forum/post/0


PS. Have you checked the D2 5.1 audio output levels configuration to make sure the LFE is set to the same level as the other channels?

How do you do this on the D2?



In the meantime, thanks to everyone for all the feedback & keep the ideas/suggestions coming!
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
78 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by SneakyPete /forum/post/0


Thanks, jfischer. Every bit of information that I can gather helps.


Trevor, great questions & suggestions. I only purchased the D2 after I swapped my 84. Therefore, I was not able to compare LFE (over HDMI) between the old and newer 84 unit. I did feel there was a slight improvement in LFE output over digital coax on my regular DVD player. However, I'm thinking that was more of a placebo effect from knowing that I now had an 84 with all the latest firmware updates. I have not disabled the +10dB boost or turned off MCACC to see if there is any difference. I will try these tomorrow (as well as updating my D2 to ver1.6) and report back then.


How do you do this on the D2?



In the meantime, thanks to everyone for all the feedback & keep the ideas/suggestions coming!

I'm having the same problem with my Samsung BDP1200 and my Arcam 280 Receiver.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
139 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
OK. I successfully downloaded/updated my D2 to ver1.6. It took 2 attempts but worked just fine. I then did some more testing on my 84 receiver & tried what Trevor had suggested.

1. Disabled the "SW IN +10dB" boost. This resulted in only a slightly lower LFE output vs enabling the boost.

2. Re-enabled the "SW IN +10dB" boost and then turned off MCACC completely (from the previous auto MCACC setting). As expected, this also resulted in a slightly lower LFE output while amplifying the higher frequency sounds.


What do these tests tell me? Absolutely nothing, to be honest. But, if they help Trevor or anyone else here to get me closer to solving my low LFE over HDMI problem, then I'm all for it. I hope someone else has some ideas, because I'm not sure where to take it from here... other than replacing my 84 with another comparable receiver.


By the way, does anyone know what Trevor meant when he suggested checking the 5.1 audio output levels configuration on the D2 to make sure the LFE is set to the same level as the other channels? How to I check this on the D2?
 
1 - 14 of 14 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.
Top