AVS Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
545 Posts
Its great news. Obviously I am disappointed that this is a Dish product.

But a tuner/PVR/dish that feeds their D-VHS machine is the perfect

product ensemble.

·
Registered
2,067 Posts
But, look at the availability date.. "could be available as early as September".

So, translating marketing-speak into reality this means: "I have no clue when it will be finished, but ask again in September and I'll tell you January".

If they do have an HD-PVR available, this will be reason enough for me to switch to Dish. But, I'm not holding my breath.

·
Registered
716 Posts
Quote:
Originally posted by tji
If they do have an HD-PVR available, this will be reason enough for me to switch to Dish.
Me too, and I suspect a lot of other folks. You'd think that D* would be prodding its manufacturing partners to also create a HD PVR system (but I doubt it).

Greg

·
Registered
606 Posts
On paper a perfect ensemble indeed.

But - some folks posting to AVS forum have problems with the JVC 30k DVHS machine while other folks don't.

The reported JVC 30k problems are more than a little inhibiting when you are considering laying out $1.2k or so for the 30k.

I sure hope that JVC can resolve these 30k problems soon.

In the meantime I'll stick with the Pan HD1000; I hope it will work with the JVC 9k PVR. I also hope that there are no problems with the 9k PVR when it's released.

·
Registered
545 Posts
Quote:
Originally posted by cymro
On paper a perfect ensemble indeed.

But - some folks posting to AVS forum have problems with the JVC 30k DVHS machine while other folks don't.
Thats one of the reasons I would not presently buy a JVC. I don't want to

play the "guess if you can match equipment" game. I presume (perhaps

wrongly) that a JVC tuner would work correctly with a JVC tape machine.

I think the fact that JVC is talking about a off air/dish/PVR combo means

that JVC, at least, hears what we want. Theres a lot of manufacturers who

either don't seem to hear HDTV users needs, or is scared to fufill them.

·
Premium Member
12,980 Posts
I think JVC's track record in DVHS is pretty good for release dates. They seemed to be on target with estimates on the 30K.

Now DN is the one who has been way behind in getting release on time.

·
Registered
33,776 Posts
Ummmm, what am I missing here? Why is it that the JVC 30k will be unable to record "programming that studios have decided to copy protect" but no such mention is made for the HD recording of the Dish product. What's the catch here?:confused:

·
Registered
221 Posts
The catch I think is that they don't mind you recording something as long as it is restricted to playback on the same equipment without any chance of leaving the box. Recording something on tape and offering it to a friend obviously violates this principal.

·
Registered
772 Posts
Both the DVI and Firewire are the copy protected versions, and the analog component will be down-res'd. The HD stream resident in the PVR will be marked 'copy never'. The box will not send it, and if it did, the other end couldn't copy anything intelligible.

·
Registered
13,771 Posts
The components won't be down-rezzed (if they were, 99.999% of the people out there with HDTV's could not use the PVR).

No such downrez specs have been announced and if they ARE down-rezzed, they will be taken to court (I'll be one of the people in court) because we cannot copy component!

And please, no "What about W-VHS?" crap. Those things are rare and terribly expensive. I have never even seen one for sale on the Net.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.