AVS Forum banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
1,098 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I just caught a spectacular new promo on Dish channel 9428 between the PPV broadcasts.

Footage was supplied by Discovery HD Theater, Showtime, HBO and HD Vision.

All I caught was the footage supplied by Showtime which included Tyson's match with Nielsen in HD on October 13, 2001. EXTRAORDINARY!

You have to wonder why Dish would continue to tout Discovery HD programming if they didn't plan on adding it to their line-up. Mum's the word at Echostar.

·
Registered
1,172 Posts
DiscoveryHD was promo'ed on DirecTV for over a year before HDNet took over ch 199. When asked when DHD would be available all sources denied that the channel was ever seriously going to exist. Seems the naysayers got it all wrong, now it is just a matter of getting E* and D8 to actually put in on.

·
Registered
1,098 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Just watched the entire 5 minute promo.

The "Discovery HD Theater" footage is nothing short of perfection; and, the "Discovery HD Theater" bug is actually attractive.

·
Registered
1,098 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
DTC mac,

Discovery's footage of Eco-Challenge was also on Dish for over a year. This new promo is packaged with the "Discovery HD Theater" bug; and, IMO has alot more appeal.

·
Registered
4,304 Posts
I was waiting for the thing but I didn't get it. All I got was the "this event is not available for purchase" screen. Do you have to pay for the movie to see the segment that comes after?

·
Registered
1,172 Posts
As I recall the DirecTV DiscoveryHD promo had Ecochallange and some clips of a great literature type series narrated by Donald Sutherland with "1984" and "The Red Badge of Courage" all of which were spectacular image quality.

·
Registered
4,314 Posts
What does it say? Discovery HD Theater coming to Dishnetwork soon? Seemed odd they promo on PPV channel unless they want to replace the PPV channel to save bandwidth.

I am actually considering paying for the PPV for the first time:) Life as A House was pretty good isn't it?

·
Registered
1,098 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Vic,

We paid, but I don't know if it's necessary since the promo is between PPV showings.

·
Registered
1,098 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
jacmyoung,

Nothing about coming soon or otherwise. Just a great promo.

I reallly enjoyed "Life as a House". A little slow in some parts but very good overall.

·
Registered
4,314 Posts
Well Hardrock, It turned out the demo isn't new. This is the demo Dishnetwork used on their demo channel right before the current version. It ran only a short time back then.

·
Registered
1,098 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Quote:
Originally posted by jacmyoung
Well Hardrock, It turned out the demo isn't new. This is the demo Dishnetwork used on their demo channel right before the current version. It ran only a short time back then.
jacmyoung,

Give me a little more credit.

The old demo you're speaking of runs either before or after the NEW demo. I don't know if the new demo is before or after the movie but it's most definitely Brand Spankin NEW.

·
Registered
4,314 Posts
Quote:
Originally posted by hardrock

jacmyoung,

Give me a little more credit.

. [/b]
I was not dismissing you. I will take a good look when I have a chance. Admittedly I only caught a part of the demo.

·
Registered
3,161 Posts
Quote:
Mum's the word at Echostar.
In the last retailer chat, Charlie did specifically mention Discovery HD, as well as Cuban's forthcoming channels. They are "In negotiations" and we all know what that means!

·
Registered
4,314 Posts
Damn it! This was my first HDPPV and I screwed it up. I thought 9428 was an all day PPV channel, ordered it half way into the movie, decided to watch when the next show is up, only got through the first preview part.

Called Dishnetwork, was told they could not even do anything about that channel from their end, it has to be ordered again by my remote. $12 for a movie which I also have a DVD version (just hasn't got around to watch it) is not what you call a good deal. So never mind.

·
Registered
1,098 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
The backround music for the "Discovery HD Theater" demo is Sting's "Brand New Day":

Why don't we turn the clock to zero, honey

I'll sell the stock, we'll spend all the money

We're starting up a brand new day

Turn the clock all the way back

I wonder if she'll take me back

I'm thinking in a brand new way

Turn the clock to zero, sister

You'll never know how much I missed her

I'm starting up a brand new day

·
Premium Member
1,493 Posts
I saw the new Demo today, it was GREAT! It was sandwitched between two diffrent versions of the old, old demo loop.

If Dish does not have Discovery HD at launch I am going to be VERY upset. Now that they have a demo loop with Discovery Theater in it, not providing it will be false advertising.

Scott

DBStalk.COM

1 - 16 of 16 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.