3,161 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Here's a clip:

The Korea Times

Tuesday, May 21, 2002

LG Unveils World's First Digital Video Recorder

BY KIM SUNG-JIN

LG Electronics (LGE) is rolling out world's first high definition (HD) level

digital personal video recorder (PVR), said the company yesterday.

PVR is a 30-50 gigabyte (GB) hard disc drive (HDD) embedded broadcasting

program receiving set-top box or digital TV set that enable recording and

replaying of TV programs and Internet contents without any recording devices such as video tape recorders (VTR).

As PVR adopts computer's HDD function to set-top box or a digital HDTV set, it enables people to watch personalized broadcasting programs regardless of broadcaster's airing schedules by simultaneously recording multiple programs, significantly strengthening and expanding the rights of audiences.

The electronics giant said that its LST-2400, different from previous PVRs

that only allowed recording and replaying of analog broadcasting programs, is the world's first PVR that enables audiences to record and replay HD level digital programs,.

It said its 40 GB HDD built-in set-top box could record and replay four and a

half hour-long HDTV programs, and as it adopted Time Shift Recording function, people can simultaneously record numerous programs at once and watch it according to their convenience.

On top of that, as it applies VTR's basic functions such as pause, replay,

rewind and fast forward, TV viewers could continue to watch recorded programs from the part where they left off.

In addition, it has repeated replay function and video clipping function that

enables people to edit and record only the parts that they want to keep. ##

·
Registered
4,123 Posts
Oh I suppose they'd sell a few of them as configured. It'll all just boil down to the pricepoint. If they can do it for say 399.00, people might bite. Not if it's much more than that though considering it's limited capacity/function.

Even like myself. All I really want to do is timeshift some OTA HD every once in a while, but not even enough to bother with another PC and a HiPix. I have no cause to archive nor am I all that worried about timeshifting even HBO or Showtime or HDNet. Those services replay all their material so often anyway that I dont really have any trouble seeing the programming at some point.

·
Premium Member
5,287 Posts
Quote:
Originally posted by Ronald K
Luce has been selling one with a 120GB HD for months now.
Ronald:

Do you have a link to LUCE?

LJG

·
Registered
613 Posts
Although the link says 80GB they will build a unit to your specs. The price includes scalers, DVD and CD player, tuners, keyboards etc.

Ron

·
Registered
3,667 Posts
Will the LUCE take component input?

·
Registered
613 Posts
Ken

I'm not sure. A couple months ago, I called Luce and asked them to send me the specs on the unit. They didn't have anything to send out. I talked to an individual who actually puts them together. I got the impression that they would build a unit to your specs.

Ron

·
Registered
3,858 Posts
The luce box looks like nothing more then a regular pc with something like a Hi-Pix in it for 2 to 3 times the price of what I can build it for.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.