AVS Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
448 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am surprised to see no chatter on this. A new adapter really sounds questionable. I can't wait to get some more information on this:

link

·
Registered
18,923 Posts
Yes, I would like to see HDMI explain how this is going to work, or not work with existing HDMI enabled devices.

·
Registered
18,923 Posts
Still no more info on this?

·
Registered
8,359 Posts
Is this smaller connector different from the Type C mini-HDMI connector?

How much bandwidth will this require? According to the Audioholics HDMI shootout , basically all the longer length HDMI cables run into trouble trying to send more data than is the current HDMI max.

·
Registered
136 Posts
After reading the press release, I think the reason we're not seeing much chatter about this on the forums is who really cares?

Most of us have some sort of STB/BDP/Receiver/Speaker arrangement -- The receiver switches HDMI -- why would I need my TV to return audio signals to the receiver?

I personally don't need networking with my HDMI, I have wireless for that -- though I guess in the future consolidating the HDMI and ethernet cables I have running to my BD player and Xbox 360 might be kinda handy -- the only thing is where will the network originate? Are we going to see STB/cable modem/network switch combo's?

The hardware to make the new standard any more useful than the current HDMI standard doesn't exist, and none of us know what the new connector even looks like, much less own TV's, receivers, or source devices that are equipped with it.

Seems pretty much like a vaporware standard for vaporware devices that most people (just look at the number of people like myself who just invested mega-bucks on a 1080p TV in the past year) will not be willing or able to upgrade to for a number of years.

So what's to talk about?

1 - 6 of 6 Posts