AVS Forum banner
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
208 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
This scares the heck out of me. I just bought a new receiver

CES 2009: HDMI Introduces Next Generation Specification

HDMI Licensing, LLC - the agent responsible licensing the High Definition Multimedia Interface (HDMI) specification - has announced five key capabilities and features which will be introduced on the next version of their HDMI technology, which will launch in the first half of 2009.

"HDMI has reached an installed base of more than 600 million devices and now touches almost every consumer device that plays HD content. We want to give the industry a preview of where the HDMI specification is headed as we continue to innovate and meet the needs of this dynamic marketplace," said Steve Venuti, president of HDMI Licensing, LLC.

In the upcoming spec, HDMI will address key industry trends, which will include five innovative features, such as 3D capability, ethernet connections, and increased resolution performance.

Networking

Consolidation of HD video, HD audio and now high speed data with the addition on ethernet in the HDMI cable.

Audio Return Channel

Elimination of a S/PDIF cable by allowing for a TV to send audio streams upstream to an A/V receiver for processing and playback over the HDMI cable.

Performance

4K x 2K and 3D are high performance features to be met by increasing the upper limit of the HDMI link.

HD In Your Car

New connector specification for the auto industry as the world's largest auto makers move to digital HD video and audio for 21st century cars with HDMI.

Smaller connector

New, smaller 19-pin connector

http://www.blu-ray.com/news/?id=2257

·
Registered
131 Posts
The thing that scary is the new smaller connector. I wonder what prompted that. Many connectors, once chosen, never change. I wonder how manufacturers feel about this. They've geared their processes towards the current standard HDMI connector and then they will have to retool for the new one. I guess adapters will be created to connect old HDMI connectors to the new ones.

·
Registered
3,153 Posts
Most manufacturers will love this, because it means selling new hardware over and over again.

It's just like targeting a moving target... just bought and already outdated.

Looking at the time table, the new specification will be finalized 1st Q of 2009, meaning that the first chips and devices will probably appear end of year 2009 (or later ?).

We probably might not see any of this in reality before next year...

Quote:
Originally Posted by CubicleDrone /forum/post/15494232

The thing that scary is the new smaller connector. I wonder what prompted that. Many connectors, once chosen, never change. I wonder how manufacturers feel about this. They've geared their processes towards the current standard HDMI connector and then they will have to retool for the new one. I guess adapters will be created to connect old HDMI connectors to the new ones.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts