AVS Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Ok, so here's where I am looking for some quick and dirty feedback. I have a Dell Dimension 4700 with a 3.0GHz, 512MB, Radeon x300SE card and a recently purchased FusionHDTV5 gold card (with an external antenna - signal is fine, connected to a Samsung 42" DLP via DVI). The video playback from this setup is hardly acceptable, not jerky, but certainly not smooth. DVDs seem to play fine on here.

So my question is this: Should I go the route of getting a new video card (looking at the Verto GeForce 6600GT Video Card, PCI Express, 128MB DDR3), or getting a new HDTV card with HW based decoding (and if so, which one? Price is a factor, but not a big one)

Yes I'm new to this arena, but think I'm close.....anyone with opinions is welcome!

thanks!

cb

·
Registered
42 Posts
Buying another tuner with hardware decoding doesn't make sense because you already have one and your PC is more than capable of handling the processing. However, your video card is the bottleneck in displaying the HD streams.

The ATI x300SE has 128mb of 64-bit DDR memory, which isn't enough bandwidth for HD video. Go for the 6600GT card you mentioned, it has 128mb of 128bit DDR3 memory. You can find many brands with that chipset for around $150.

·
Registered
565 Posts
cebert71,

I think that there may be some issues with the Nvidia 6600GT that you may want to investigate before making your decision. I recently switched to an ATI X800XL AGP video card from an acceptable ATI 9600GT card and really like the performance with HD material. Compusa had both the AGP and PCI-E X800XL video cards on sale last week.

Regards,

TCIII

·
Registered
2,061 Posts
what level of ATI brand card do you guys think is sufficient for 1080i HDTV off a P4/3ghz?

anything above 9600?

Would you guys recommend AGP or PCI

·
Registered
141 Posts
cb,

I'm a bit surprised that you can't get smooth HD on your system. According to DVICO's minimum requirements, your system is more than capable of handling FUSION5 card. Why don't you use 720p instead of 1080i?

Let me know.

I'm in the market for a HD card.

·
Registered
1,732 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by chinch
what level of ATI brand card do you guys think is sufficient for 1080i HDTV off a P4/3ghz?

anything above 9600?

Would you guys recommend AGP or PCI
The 9800pro or above. Not the crippled SE versions.

AGP for an older system. PCIe for a new build.

·
Registered
1,732 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by cbert71
Ok, so here's where I am looking for some quick and dirty feedback. I have a Dell Dimension 4700 with a 3.0GHz, 512MB, Radeon x300SE card and a recently purchased FusionHDTV5 gold card (with an external antenna - signal is fine, connected to a Samsung 42" DLP via DVI). The video playback from this setup is hardly acceptable, not jerky, but certainly not smooth. DVDs seem to play fine on here.
Your hardware should give you smooth playback. Have you compared DXVA and software decoding. Most stutters and microstutters are caused by IRQ conflicts. Even if Windows who shares IRQ's will not show a problem, HDTV will.

Depending on your PC skills, you can tweak the IRQ settings in the bios.

Or you can also disconnect any printer,scanner, etc.

You can change the tuner's PCI slot and see if there are any improvements.

·
Registered
2,061 Posts
many thanks. would this card suffice over a 9800pro (256mb - not the all in wonder).

RADEON X800 PRO AGP 256MB

1 - 8 of 8 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.