AVS Forum banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
36 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey there,

Im looking at buying a new HD tv for my bedroom.

I already have an Onkyo HT-3100 HTIB and my 22inch Samsung Moniter just isnt cutting it for movies (good quality just too small).

I have moved all my furniture in my room around and cleared a 11ftl x 7.5ftw space for a small theater/gaming area in my room. Im going to be sitting approx 5-6.5 feet away from the TV so I was thinking a 32" would be sufficient or should I go bigger?

I have:

Xbox 360 Elite (HDMI) and Digital Optical Going into reciever.

Onkyo HT-3100 w/ 2x Digital Optical inputs and 1x Coaxial input

PS3 (HDMI) w/ Digital Optical going ino reciever.

HD or Digital Cable box in the near future.

So I would like the tv to have either Coaxial out or optical out into reciever for better sound quality, 2x HDMI inputs if not three, 720p is plenty if its a 32", and I would like to keep it under 600$ CAD, Also if this makes any diffrence I live in canada so some online sites I cant order from because no shipping to canada.

I found a Samsung LN32A300 on bestbuy.ca for 489.99$ CAD

Also the Samsung LN32A450 on Futureshop.ca for 599.99$ CAD

Is there any other sites that ship to canada and or tv's that you could recommend for myself !

Thanks

Thomas.

·
Registered
1,190 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tz000 /forum/post/15489650

Im going to be sitting approx 5-6.5 feet away from the TV so I was thinking a 32" would be sufficient or should I go bigger?

Just as a reference. My viewing distance is about 6.5-7ft and i have a 55" LCD. Totally love and not a problem. Infact it gives me my own personal IMAX effect. Used to have 27" CRT and thought of getting 36" or even 40" LCD. After getting the 55" i'm in love.

·
Registered
36 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
thanks for that info !

but once I go over 40 isnt good to have 1080 or will 720 look good on a 40inch ?

thanks

thomas.

·
Registered
628 Posts
I agree with Jame55, I have a 50" in my bedroom and it works great. It is about 4 feet from the foot of my king size bed.

Be warned though, once you go bigger you can never be happy with anything smaller!!

·
Registered
36 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
For 587$ CAD I can get a Samsung PN42A400 720p 42inch. But on the website there is hardly any spec info on this tv anyone know any info on this tv.

EDIT: Found the spec on it, its not to bad 2 HDMI PC input didnt say anything about audio out but it must have something.

·
Registered
36 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
yeah acording to the specs it is.

do you think I should go with the 42inch for 587 or 599 for the 32inch ?

·
Registered
2,123 Posts
I have a 32" 720p LCD (Panasonic TC-32LX85) on a swivel and sit at two different distances -- at ~4' and at ~6.5'. Sitting at ~6.5' away is about right, but 4' is too close. I would not go larger than a 32" (720p) for your viewing distance. If you buy a larger 720p TV just because everyone on AVS claims that a TV can never be too big (or that you can never sit too close), then I think you will regret it. If you want to go larger, and will actually be using a 1080p source, then buy a 1080p TV. Before you buy anything, you may want to go to a store and look at TVs from the distance you will be viewing from in your home.

·
Registered
36 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
ok awesome thanks for that info im probley gunna go 32 i maped it out on my wall with tape and it seems to be the right size for my room and the wall space i have to mount it !

thanks

Thomas.

·
Registered
628 Posts
I agree, you can sit too close. That is true with any size tv. After 5 feet back I feel you could watch any tv up to 50 inches.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts