AVS Forum banner
1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm sure people have posted questions about setting up an old receiver with the latest technology. I have a denon 3200, which has been great to me. I plan on using the S-video to connect to either my current DVD player or upgrading to a blu ray player. Haven't decided on that yet. My question is because the Denon won't decode DTS audio, is that a major factor? Can people actually tell the difference? Is this the only thing I need to worry about with having an older device? Thanks for the help.

·
Registered
2,135 Posts
I believe that Dolby Digital is not required on BluRay discs. Even if you connect a BD player to your receiver optically, you may not get any audio from certain discs if they are mastered with DTS only. Depending on the player, it may be able to decode the DTS and convert it into 2-channel PCM for transfer over the optical link. You'd lose the surround sound that way, but at least you'd get something.

I'd probably think about a new receiver too, if you're upgrading to BD. You can get by with your current receiver for DVD, as DTS is an optional format there and all discs must include a DD track.

Does your current DVD player not have component video outputs? If it does, you'd be better off running those directly to the new TV rather than going S-Video through the receiver.

1 - 2 of 2 Posts