AVS Forum banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Registered
456 Posts
Just another Janus reference design card.

I'd like to see the often promised software based cards on the market that use the dStream reference design.

Bob

·
Registered
4,321 Posts
Bob,

I'm curious. Why are you so gung-ho on the software based tuner cards?

Kei Clark

Digital Connection

·
Registered
456 Posts
Kei,

Price, Price, and Price ... they were supposed to be very afforadable (mid- $100 price range if I recall the chat at Comdex 2 years ago).

Also they would utilize your AGP graphics card's output and the system bus, rather than have external or internal cabling from your card to the HDTV card and then out to your monitor.

I have a Radeon card with digital DVI out to my flat panel, thus I need a tuner that will output via my primary graphics card.

Bob

·
Banned
3,772 Posts
If the software players ever arrived they would

provide 1080p output from a Radeon card...

Right now you have to pay thousands of $ for

an external scaler box to convert

1080i (from a card like the HiPix) to 1080p.

·
Registered
2,067 Posts
Anyone here familiar with the hardware specifics of the Janus cards?

Is there any reason to expect the performance of this card to be different than the HiPix? Would it have the same ATSC reception characteristics?

·
Registered
13,423 Posts
â€If the software players ever arrived they would

provide 1080p output from a Radeon card...â€

PVR,

Have you ever seen anyone claim 1080p from a software HDTV decoder?

When I was testing software decoding with special ATI Radeon drivers the most I could get was 720p or 1440x1080i (540p).

·
Registered
4,321 Posts
tji,

Like all currently available HDTV cards in the consumer market today, the HiPix is based on the TeraLogic Janus chip.

Kei Clark

Digital Connection

·
Registered
13,423 Posts
â€Is there any reason to expect the performance of this card to be different than the HiPix? Would it have the same ATSC reception characteristics?â€

tji,

The tuner and demod chip used and the circuit design determine the MyHD card ATSC reception characteristics. The MDP-100 can lock to a signal with much lower signal strength than the HiPix and has better multi-path rejection and off axis antenna reception.

Plus the MDP-100 will tune both NTSC and ATSC stations on a single RF input to the tuner. With dual inputs you can use two antennas aimed in different directions or one antenna for OTA and cable TV input at the same time.

·
Registered
13,423 Posts
"Is MyHD card OK for a case like the Cassini."

Yes the MyHD card can be used in the Cassini case. It runs much cooler than HiPix or accessDTV.

"Will I be able to copy directly to a DVHS?"

Do you mean does DVHS support file copy to/from tape under WinXP? I hope so because I have merged my show files into a single tp file for backup.

·
Registered
21 Posts
I see in the specifications for this card it "supports" 704x480. Does this mean I will have the option of outputting that resolution for all the SD content on my local, over-the-air, digital channels. (Let's face it, that will be the majority of content for a while.) Or, does this card always "upscale" SD content to the users choice of 1080i or 720p with no possibility of 480p output?

I will be acquiring a ~840x~480 native resolution display in the next several weeks. I would like to use this card for reception but NOT use the display device to do the scaling of true HD content like "Everybody Loves Raymond" at 1080i or NYPD Blue at 720p. So, what is a good way to use the scaling prowess of my HTPC with this card to send HD and SD content to my display already scaled to it's native resolution?

·
Registered
13,423 Posts
â€I see in the specifications for this card it "supports" 704x480. Does this mean I will have the option of outputting that resolution for all the SD content on my local, over-the-air, digital channels. (Let's face it, that will be the majority of content for a while.) Or, does this card always "upscale" SD content to the users choice of 1080i or 720p with no possibility of 480p output?â€

Yes you can use 480 output from MyHD card. I use 480p for my local FOX station.

â€I will be acquiring a ~840x~480 native resolution display in the next several weeks. I would like to use this card for reception but NOT use the display device to do the scaling of true HD content like "Everybody Loves Raymond" at 1080i or NYPD Blue at 720p. So, what is a good way to use the scaling prowess of my HTPC with this card to send HD and SD content to my display already scaled to it's native resolution?â€

I’m not sure that I understand your question(s). Are you asking if the MDP-100 will output in the native resolution of the show being transmitted? If that is the question the answer is yes it will.

·
Registered
21 Posts
Thanks for the quick response, Cliff. (You're the man.) To clarify my second question - when I am watching CBS, NBC, or ABC and they are broadcasting a show like "Everybody Loves Raymond" which is shot and broadcast 1080i or "NYPD Blue" which is shot and broadcast 720p I understand that the card will decode and output that program at it's full resolution.

My problem is my display device is going to be ~840X~480 native and I don't want to send a 1080i or 720p signal to it for internal scaling. What is the best way to use my HTPC to scale that image down to ~840X~480p BEFORE I send it to the display device at as close as possible to it's native resolution?

What I would really like to see from any of the Janus boards is a native output of say 853X484, or whatever they decide on, for 1080i or 720p material.

·
Registered
21 Posts
Indulge me 1 more time and I promise to go away. Just tell me if the following is correct concerning this card:

Given - I will set the card for 480p output since my display device has a native resolution of ~853X480.

Assumption - when tuning a channel broadcasting in either 1080i or 720p showing true 16X9 content, like JAG or NYPD Blue, it will be scaled down to ~853X480 and shown full frame at "native" resolution on my display device.

Assumption - when tuning a channel broadcasting in either 1080i or 720p showing 4X3 content, (most stuff today), it will be scaled down to 640X480 and shown with black side bars on my display device but still effecively at it's "native" resolution.

Assumption - when tuning a channel like FOX broadcasting in 480p, (are they using 704X480 or 640X480?) the content will be shown with black side bars on my display device but still effecively at it's "native" resolution.

·
Registered
13,423 Posts
Can I get drunk first before answering the questions? :D

OK, here is the drill for 1080i and 720p content on a 4:3 display with MyHD set for 480p output.

Letterboxed (black bars on top and bottom) or Zoom (fullscreen P&S)

480 content on a 4:3 display with MyHD set for 480p output.

I’m not sure because the local Fox station transmits at 720x480i (16:9). Using the Fox signal I get the same results as above.

·
Registered
484 Posts
A few questions regarding this new card....

I saw this card first hand at the MIT booth at the 2002 CES in action. It looked great in 1280 x 720 on their 22" 16:9 LCD monitor. What looked even better was the MDR-500 stb in the adjacent booth producing 1920 x 1080 on a samsung synchmaster 240t 24" 16:9 LCD monitor. This was the most brilliant picture I have ever seen aside from a triple 9" CRT front throw projector.

I asked the MIT rep when and if they would produce the same chip for the PC tuner card that would produce 1080p for HTPC use. They were not sure. But it seems quite easily feasible if they have the proprietary chip for the MDR-500 to place it into the MDR-100, right?

PVR:

I thought you were using powerstrip and cinemaplayer software to scale your HTPC signals to 1080p on your sony FW900. You mentioned doing this with 480p DVD.....will this not work with the tuner card? Instead of having to use an outboard scaler to double 1080i to 1080p. I am assuming you are talking about a faroudja native rate or TAW Rock scaler which run about $4000, when you mention 'thousands of $'

I think the most simple answer would be a MDR-100 with 1080p output capability. The only hang up would be no input into the card from satellite to run ALL HDTV signals (OTA and satellite) through ONE tuner.

But I bet the guys at digital connection know of a way to get around this.

Customer service at MIT is 02-2142-4000. Do they have english speaking operators?

·
Registered
21 Posts
Cliff,

Again, thanks for the response. However, I am not particularly interested in how this card "outputs" to 4:3 screens. I was interested in the following 3 situations all of which use 480 line 16:9 screens -

1. 1080i/720p with real 16:9 content like JAG or NYPD Blue; card set to scale down to 480p output BUT to a 16:9 display device with native resolution of ~850X480. (There are a number of plasma displays and a few 16:9 PJ's that have this native resolution.) Do you get a fully proportianally scaled down image at 853X480 OR does the card assume you must surely be using a 4:3 display so it does 640X480 and then uses 120 of those 480 lines to "draw" black bars and keep the correct aspect ratio?

2. 1080i/720p broadcasting with 4:3 content like the vast majority of the material still is. Again, card set to scale down to 480p output BUT to a 16:9 display device with native resolution of ~850X480. Do you get a fully proportianally scaled down image at 853X480 with the broadcasted black bars being drawn on each side using ~106 pixels each thus 640X480 image OR do you end up with a 480X360 image in the middle of the screen?

3. 480 broadcasting like with FOX. Will the card send a full 640X480 picture to the display device?

I know that the HiPix with VIP cable can do 854X480 in a window. As to what happens when that is the total resolution you are running, I hope to be able to definitively answer that question by months end.

·
Registered
13,423 Posts
MyHD supports output resolutions of.

1920x1080i

1280x720p

720x480p

720x480i

1440x1080i

1024x768p

As you can see ~850x480 is not one of the supported resolutions.

1 - 20 of 25 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.