AVS Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 20 of 38 Posts

·
Registered
908 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I've just found out that all the new LG/Zenith HD receivers receive only QAM for cable channels. None will tune 8VSB on cable channels like the HD-SAT520 does. I presently receive the major network channels at 8VSB off cable using my 520. Does anyone know if any of the new HD boxes will tune 8VSB on cable channels?

Tom

·
Premium Member
7,093 Posts
Try just hooking up your cable and tell the box it's an antenna. 8VSB is the OTA standard. The channels have to be unscrambled though and may appear on a different number.

·
Registered
908 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Pat, I have no problem with that on my 520, but I've been informed by LG that the new breed of receivers will only receive QAM, not 8-VSB, on the cable channels. They receive 8-VSB only on VHF & UHF channels. That's why I'm asking.

Tom

·
Registered
4,039 Posts
Quote:
Originally posted by tomrhyne
Pat, I have no problem with that on my 520, but I've been informed by LG that the new breed of receivers will only receive QAM, not 8-VSB, on the cable channels. They receive 8-VSB only on VHF & UHF channels. That's why I'm asking.

Tom

·
Registered
908 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
No, there are no plans to switch in the near future. The owner of the cable company is the one that asked if I could find a new receiver that receives 8-VSB cable. They have the translators to place the HD on the cable at 8_vsb and they do not charge any thing for receiving the DTV broadcasts! That probably is unique.

Tom

·
Premium Member
7,093 Posts
Once again, don't tell the box it's looking for a cable channel. Tell it it's hooked up to an antenna. We had an 8VSB cable channel in my area for a while and it works fine. The only problem is if the box only allows one antenna input and you have an antenna as well as 8VSB cable. We used a manual switcher to solve that. I can't believe your cable company is going to do anything that makes it more difficult to receive or use more bandwidth than necessary over the long haul.

·
Premium Member
1,748 Posts
Quote:
Originally posted by CKNA
Wow, your cable system must be the only one left passing 8VSB on cable. I am sure they will be switching to QAM as 8VSB is a waste of space on cable.
Cablevision of Woodbury (Long Island, NY) still passes MSG-HD in 8VSB, but that is most likely being phased out soon.

·
Registered
908 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Pat, explain to me how I can pick up cable channels 67,68, & 69 by telling the box it is an OTA station when the manufacturer has told me that the receiver only decodes QAM on cable channels and 8-VSB on VHF and UHF channels.

My present 520 receiver works fine because it will decode 8-VSB on cable channels. The new LG boxes will not. The new LG boxes have a new tuner (different from the one in the 520) and will only pick up QAM on cable channels. How do I tune in channel 69, for example?

Were you using one of the new LG boxes when you picked up the 8-VSB off the cable?

Tom

·
Premium Member
7,093 Posts
Quote:
Pat, explain to me how I can pick up cable channels 67,68, & 69 by telling the box it is an OTA station when the manufacturer has told me that the receiver only decodes QAM on cable channels and 8-VSB on VHF and UHF channels.

·
Registered
908 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Quote:
You keep saying QAM on cable channels and 8-VSB on VHF and UHF channels. IT'S NOT. It's QAM on the cableTV input and 8VSB on the antenna input.
Yep. QAM on Cable channels. That's what I said. 8-VSB on VHF & UHF which you recieve via the antenna input. Not sure where we are differing. Thanks for your input.

Does anyone have any first hand experience with any of the new HD receivers as to whether they will pick up 8-VSB on cable channels? I know the older ones will.

Tom

·
Registered
1,746 Posts
In addition to the QAM/8VSB issue...

I think perhaps the issue really is that UHF broadcast channels are on different frequencies that the same number cable channel. So if you hook cable to an antenna input, I'm not sure it will tune to the proper frequencies for UHF. I believe VHF is the same for both.

I only say this because NTSC TVs typically let you select whether an input is an antenna or CATV. VHF channels work either way, but UHF channels don't.

But I could be wrong...

·
Registered
908 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
djs, that's what I'm thinking also. I've just posed the question to LG and I'll let you know what they say.

Thanks,

Tom

·
Premium Member
7,093 Posts
We were getting the station listed as cable channel 117 on channel 61-1 when configured as a antenna connection.

·
Registered
908 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Here's what I asked LG:
Quote:
John, I've been told that if I connect the cable to the Antenna input on one of your new units and manually add a cable channel, it won't know the difference and will add it and receive it, even if it is 8-VSB. Is this correct? With the new tuner, I wonder if this is correct.
Here is the response:
Quote:
That would hold true only for cable channels 2-13. The tune will "mistake" them for OTA VHF.
So, djs, our thinking was correct.

Tom

·
Registered
2,816 Posts
Quote:
explain to me how I can pick up cable channels 67,68, & 69 by telling the box it is an OTA station when the manufacturer has told me that the receiver only decodes QAM on cable channels and 8-VSB on VHF and UHF channels.
The reason the manufacturer tells you their box only decodes QAM is because they can't be sure the particular 8-VSB channel the cable company is using maps to a frequency that is in the range of OTA frequencies they can receive.

I certainly expect the cable company is using an appropriate channel, though. Why would they bother broadcasting an 8-VSB HDTV signal on a channel that couldn't be picked up by the settops? What would be the point?

·
Premium Member
7,093 Posts
I never said manually add. Do a scan. If it's in range, you'll get it. If it's not, the cable company is screwing up mightily. 2-13 is the range in which there is a 1-1 relationship between OTA and cableTV channel numbers and involves analog channels only. We are talking digital here. Again my example is that cable channel 117 remapped to 61-1 and even said WBBM digital in my guide.

·
Registered
908 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
I am well aware of the mapping of DTV stations based upon content in PSIP. The cable company has not screwed up. I am currently receiving cable channels 67, 68, & 69 off cable using 8-VSB. They map to 2-1, 10-3, and 19-1. Everything is fine with what I have now. My cable company and I have been told that the new LG recievers will not pick up 8-VSB on cable frequencies other than those that map one-to-one with the VHF channels 2-13. What I am trying to verify through observation is whether any new receivers will detect 8-VSB signals on cable channels above 13.

If you know for fact they will, please let me know so I can supply the information to my cable company. There are customers who desire to pick up the signals as I am, but it is not working with the new receivers that he has checked.

Thanks for any information.

Tom

·
Premium Member
7,093 Posts
Quote:
There are customers who desire to pick up the signals as I am, but it is not working with the new receivers that he has checked.

·
Registered
908 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
The owner of the cable company's statement to me was that he has not been able to find any of the latest generation sets that will receive 8-VSB on channels 67, 68, & 69. I have personally spoken to a project manager at Zenith and he has confirmed that the new turner in their new products is unlike the one in the SAT-520 and will not tune 8-VSB signals on cable channels. My 520 works fine as did my Zenith 1080. The new LG sets can be "fooled" into receiving cable channels 2-13 but not above.

I don't know about the Samsung, Hughes, etc. I am looking for definitive information, not conjecture based upon older units, which I know work.

I welcome input.

Tom

·
Premium Member
7,093 Posts
I'll just give up for now. If somebody with a box that is capable of OTA DTV reception, is incapable of tuning the channels on the system in question, and reports it here, I'll be glad to revisit the situation.

1 - 20 of 38 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.