AVS Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
8,843 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I've been shopping around and some bargains seem to be available. But I'm also aware of new developments, like the Firewire sets coming from Sony this summer/fall.

The other part of the equation is talk of better chip sets for line doubling. And obviously, a lot of display technologies as alternatives to CRT seem to be coming to market.

Are their other technologies which haven't come to market worth waiting for? Especially considering that there is still not enough HDTV content or ways to record it?

Or are the sets available now or in the next year worth it just for the improved DVD performance with enough HDTV performance for when more content (broadcast and something like HD-DVD) becomes available?

·
AVS Forum Special Member
11,139 Posts
Asked myself similar questions last year while shopping for a set, and concluded there's no end to advancements that would enhance viewing. Putting off a purchase to await them, of course, means you miss a lot of HDTV viewing.

Think it might be worthwhile looking into whether a set uses, or can be adapted to use, the new Sage/Faroudja video-processor chip. There's some discussion of this chip, used initially in a Kenwood DVD machine, in the DVD and video-processor forums. Assuming a HDTV set had other excellent display features, it sounds like this chip might really enhance images. We need to see reviews. It's also possible you could use the processor after acquiring a set by buying an outboard deinterlace unit based on the chip(s), or perhaps a computer card using them.

If your budget isn't limited, there are upcoming larger-screen plasma models with exceptional resolution, such as the Panasonic 60-incher shown in prototype form at trade shows. A Panasonic U.S. subsidiary, which built the set, has developed technologies that reportedly overcomes earlier problems with plasmas. For what such plasma models might cost, you could now buy a high-end graphics-grade projector, such as the Sony G90. -- John

------------------

STOP DVI/HDCP AND DFAST

·
AVS Forum Special Member
11,139 Posts
Seems like the Sage/Faroudja chip is starting out in high-end gear, but I'd be surprised, if it works as well as early reports suggest, that it doesn't appear in a wide range of equipment. Thought I'd read it was a $29 chip, which is no doubt costlier than older processors, but seems practical for many sets. -- John

------------------

STOP DVI/HDCP AND DFAST

·
Registered
756 Posts
The reality is, like anything else, the higher the production the cheaper the costs. In the end, I would think DLP's and Plasma will be the least expensive with large direct view sets eventually being phased out.

But, it'll be five years away so the question is, do you wait or go with something as an interim set/monitor.

As mentioned, there are already some good deals out there and expect better deals as the next generation HD sets hit the stores.

I went as inexpensively as I could, for what I wanted, for now. I expect to purchase, by Christmas 2006, either a Plasma or DLP set that shows 720p and 1080i natively, has appropriate gray scaling, bandwidth, etc., for under $3,000.

It wouldn't surprise me if they'll be closer to $2,000.

Like mentioned 1,000 times in this forum, the longer you wait, the better and cheaper things will be.

The only advice I would give is to not purchase a top of the line item, like a $15K DLP RP right now, unless you have money to burn, since next year you'll probably be able to get it for closer to $9,000.

No matter what you do, six months after you make your purchase, you'll be saying to yourself "Man, I should have waited another six months!"

·
Registered
8,843 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Great posts guys. Obviously, prices are going to go down. I've been involved in exchanges about HDTV, mostly on the HDTV newsgroups and it seems there's not enough content to justify a big outlay at this time. I don't watch anything on CBS and I only watch a couple of shows on HBO.

But in looking for a TV to do better DVD playback and even PS2 widescreen games, there is something to be said for HDTV-ready sets with either a 16:9 screen or a compression mode for anamorphic content -- as opposed to getting something like the Wega for the interim. Of course, even the cheapest HDTV-ready sets are significant investments.

In the immediate horizon is this 1394/5C standard, which will apparently lock out people who've purchased a set which can't upgrade to it. As someone who timeshifts heavily, I wonder how much we'll be able to timeshift HDTV programming with copy protection in place.

·
Registered
8,843 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Could the Sage/Faroudja chip or newer video processors end up on sets in the low to mid-range of HDTV equipment (say anything from direct-views up to Pioneer Elites)? Or would it remain in high-end (exotic displays, front projection, etc.) applications only?

It's good that networks like CBS is adopting HDTV faster than others, but unfortunately, the main use of an HDTV set for me would be DVD playback and maybe HBO-HD thru DirectTV or DISH. I can spend $4k-5k for this purpose but not if in a year or two, the same amount of money buys significantly better performance and features.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.