AVS Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
1,546 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I just got my Sony 30xs955 from Best Buy and I adore it. I'll adore it even more when HD DVD and the Xbox 360 gets here. (I detest 4:3! 16:9 need to be the standard and soon)

I do have a small problem with the unit though. In the top right corner of the screen there is a small area of discoloration. It's most visible when blue backgrounds are on screen. It's almost like a dark tint.

I have the other problems I'm trying to work through. Screen is a tad too dark and it's as big as a fridge but good lord... Best screen ever! I got this after taking back the new 30 inch Samsung slim tube. All around bad TV.

Can someone help a new HD user?

One more question: Is the difference between 720p and 1080i huge?

·
Registered
1,999 Posts
The discoloration is most likely from magnetic interference. Are there any speakers near the TV? Try moving them or get some different speakers with better magnetic shielding. If this isn't the case, try turning off the TV and also unplug it. Then wait a few minutes, plug the TV back in, and turn it back on. It may need several degaussings to get rid of it. You may need to wait a bit longer before turning it back on because the TV doesn't usually degauss unless it's cold. And give it a few days to see if it goes away. The TV is new a needs some break-in time.

Put the picture mode on Pro or Movie mode to get a better black level. Then adjust the brightness. A calibration DVD is recommended to set the proper black level, but a DVD with the THX optimizer utility will work okay.

You won't see a difference between 720p and 1080i because your TV upconverts 720p signals to 960i.

·
Registered
1,546 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Quote:
The discoloration is most likely from magnetic interference. Are there any speakers near the TV? Try moving them or get some different speakers with better magnetic shielding. If this isn't the case, try turning off the TV and also unplug it. Then wait a few minutes, plug the TV back in, and turn it back on. It may need several degaussings to get rid of it. You may need to wait a bit longer before turning it back on because the TV doesn't usually degauss unless it's cold. And give it a few days to see if it goes away. The TV is new a needs some break-in time.
No mags or speakers near it. Just the ones in the TV it's self. I tried the degauss a couple times from a cold start. Still there. :( It's odd too. If I play with the tilt of the screen I can make it worse. By pushing upward on the image it gets to be a much deeper tint. It's not hugely disturbing but after paying over a grand for the TV I'd love to get it gone. Could it be some kinda geometry thing?

Quote:
Put the picture mode on Pro or Movie mode to get a better black level. Then adjust the brightness. A calibration DVD is recommended to set the proper black level, but a DVD with the THX optimizer utility will work okay.
I read on these forums some before purchase and set up from pro to start. Only thing is, when you make the screen brighter it gets all grey looking and the blacks are still very black. Is it the Avia the disk I should get? It seems odd though because as far as color options, I only have a single slider bar... How would one use the single bar to make deeper color choices? As far as I can see there's no way to control red, blue, and green separate.

Quote:
You won't see a difference between 720p and 1080i because your TV upconverts 720p signals to 960i.
I asked because some friends of mine are waiting to get 720p sets for the Xbox 360 and with my Sony I'll be running games in 1080i. I'm curious if they'll get a much better picture than me.

·
Registered
61 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cynn
I do have a small problem with the unit though. In the top right corner of the screen there is a small area of discoloration. It's most visible when blue backgrounds are on screen. It's almost like a dark tint.
I had the same problem but it was on the left side, it was mostly visible with black and white program, it showed up as a slight blue area about 1" w X 2 " H.

My new replacement TV does not have this problem now.

·
Registered
1,546 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I saw the display model had a slight one as well but I assumed that since it was in a TV cluster that maybe it was just interference. Did they tell you what it was on your return?

Does anyone know if this is something that can be fixed? I don't know if Best Buy even has any of this model left. :( I have the four year warrenty though.

·
Registered
1,546 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
I'm kinda in a bind now. My Best Buy only has the 34 inch models now and if I were to exchange I'd have to upgrade to stay in the product line. (Or get a cheaper model of another brand and I don't want to do that)

Can anyone help me with these problems before I lug a 200 pound TV and $700 more to best buy?

If the problem could be fixed it would put me back at 100% I'm sure someone's delt with this before right?

·
Registered
2,046 Posts
I had the same problem with the picture on my sony KV-30HS420, but I fixed it by adjusting the screen size because I was missing a part of the screen on both sides while in FULL MODE, when there was some luminosity coming from the sides, it used to create some color distortion, blue tint, specially when white backgrounds with dark colors in the corners. If you are under warranty, call for a service and don't forget to ask to help you in improving your quality picture.

·
Registered
1,546 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Thanks for the reply! Where do I control Horiz movement? All I can see is vertical in the menus.

My discolor is just on one side though, not both. Not sure if that matters.

·
Registered
2,046 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cynn
Thanks for the reply! Where do I control Horiz movement? All I can see is vertical in the menus.

My discolor is just on one side though, not both. Not sure if that matters.
They aren't in the regular menus from your TV, they are in the service menu (accesible via code on the remote). I wouldn't play with that. I personnally made some mistake by tweaking with it and I almost screwed up my TV. Fixed now, but I've spent hours and hours!

Here is the link but beware, unlike me, READ CAREFULLY ALL OF IT before accessing the service menu. But I still recommend to hire a pro to come home.

http://www.avsforum.com/avs-vb/showt...4&page=1&pp=20

·
Registered
1,546 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Thanks for the info! I appreciate your time. Will the Sony Techs picture correct for you? I thought about getting Avia but that's all new to me.

·
Registered
2,046 Posts
Unfortunatly for me, The Sony techs Can't get where I live, because I live in the Dominican Republic. I bought my TV from the US and where I live, their is no Sony in home repair or any of the sort. I had to do it on my own. Also, the warranty doesn't work neither where I am. Consider yourself lucky to have all these kinds of assistance available! ;) I wish I had.

About The AVIA disc, I've heard only good things and that will infact really improve your picture quality. I'm considering myself in getting one aswell.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.