AVS Forum banner
1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi, I just received my new 60" SXRD tv. I've also purchased a new HDMI upconvert 720p/1080i DVD Player using HDMI. I also have a Dobly Digital 5.1/DTS amplifier for my surround sound system. When I connect up my DVD player using an HDMI cable to my TV - it won't play the audio unless I switch the DVD player to use PCM audio - instead of Dolby Digital. The DVD player and AMP have both been connected via a Digital Coax as well as Fiber Optic - but it doesn't help) If I switch over from DDigital to PCM - then I lose the ability to listen to my movies with 5.1 surround sound - but the TV audio does work. (The Amp still outputs audio - but it's only showing PCM Digital and not the full featured and better sounding DDigital 5.1) Isn't there a way to do both? As soon as I switch the DVD player audio output mode from PCM to DDigital - the screen shows that this is an unsupported audio format or it shows HDMI audio not supported.

I guess I want a DVD player that will output DDigital 5.1 via Digital Coax or Fiber Optical connection - while @ the same time send the right (PCM) audio through the HDMI to the TV. Is that too much to ask?

Please advise as to how to use an HDMI connection with audio as well as Dolby Digital with my surround sound amp.

thx

·
Registered
2 Posts
What DVD player do you have? I have a Samsung DVD-1080P7 and after getting to their Level 2 tech, he said that the player does not output DD5.1(bitstream) over HDMI. If I want 5.1, I have to use the optical. So as soon as I find a player that supports 5.1 over HDMI, the 1080P7 is going back to BB.

1 - 2 of 2 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.