AVS Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
1,737 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I've held off buying Hellboy in anticipation of the Extended Edition that is coming out next week. Needless to say I'm excited as i really enjoyed this flick in the theaters and everyone's been talking about how great the transfer is and stuff.

My question is: Has anyone heard anything or read anything about the new disc. Any reviews up or anything? I'm wondering how the transfer will look. I don't know if they split the movie into two discs a la LOTR, or just crammed the new stuff all onto the same disc, and I'm thinking about how the PQ will compare to the first iteration. Anyone heard anything?

·
Banned
5,823 Posts
I have the disc and have watched it, the extended scenes are character building and not explicit scenes the film is still PG-13 ( i enjoyed it )

Transfer looks good and its 1 disc for the movie and 2 discs worth of extras

·
Registered
4,907 Posts
Quote:
Originally posted by GrantMeThePower
What do you mean diappointing???

Its on the reference list here, and every reviewer bar none said it was one of the best transfers they've seen.
I'm surprised to hear that. I thought the contrast wasn't great, compression was too obvious, some color blooming etc. Maybe it's because I also saw it in the theater with a huge screen, incredible picture quality and noone but me and the kids in the room. The DVD was a pale comparison. Still, I stand behind my eyes. This was not a great DVD transfer period.

·
Registered
1,737 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
What display were you using? Has it been ISF'ed? What DVD player? All of these are important to have correct before condeming a transfer, espically when everyone else seems to think it is great.

Either way, i really hope that the Directors Cut looks great.

·
Registered
851 Posts
HTCRAZY,

With an INTEGRA 10.5 DVD player, progressive out, to a OPTOMA H77, (FP, DLP, HD2+ CHIP) onto a 120" diagonal screen, I have to say this is one of the better looking transfers, i have seen this year. The color palate, takes some getting used to though. Overall an excellent transfer, and for its genre, a good movie.

CHEERS, TOM

1 - 8 of 8 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.