AVS Forum banner
1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
This is my first post, so I'm no t exactly sure if this is the place to put this or not. If it's not, please direct me elsewhere!

I'm looking for some help on buying a 37' LED-TV and I really have no idea where to start as I know almost nothing about TV's other than I'd like to have a nice one. I'm rather open to prices, but I'd like to look at both expensive and cheaper TVs.

Thanks!

·
Registered
5,307 Posts
1-Don't rule out conventional lcd. An "LED" set is actually an LCD with a different light source. LCD panels are made up of individual pixels that let light pass thru them in different colors and intensities, they don't produce any light on their own so need a backlight. Sets advertised as LCD use a Cold Cathode Flourescent array behind the lcd panel, "LED" sets use Light Emitting Diodes and in that screen size they're all going to have the leds arranged around the edges with a diffuser to channel the light inward and outward.

The main advantage to edge lit led is a thinner cabinet and, in that size, very slightly lower power consumption. The CCFL sets will actually have more even illlumination of the screen since the light source is actually behind the panel.

Other than that you should avoid brands you never heard of, store specific brands, and famous old American brands like RCA, Magnavox, Zenith, Sylvania. Vizio makes a lot of models in that size but they pretty much are doorstops if anything goes wrong out of warranty as they have little or no parts availability.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Thanks for all the suggestions both Steve and Dark. I suppose I should show you what I've been looking at for some time now to see what you think and just to get an idea of what I'm interested in.

The LG 37LE5300 seems to really fit my needs for the most part. It's rather simple, small and lightweight and without 3D, which I don't care too much about, as I mainly just watch Netflix and Film on my Television.

·
Registered
1,138 Posts
I really liked latest Panasonic LCD TV's (up to 42"); Impressive!

Now, there's nothing terribly wrong with that LG 37LE5300 neither.... so go for Panasonic if money is not an issue; otherwise go with LG.

Boky

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Quote:
Originally Posted by Extreme_Boky
I really liked latest Panasonic LCD TV's (up to 42"); Impressive!

Now, there's nothing terribly wrong with that LG 37LE5300 neither.... so go for Panasonic if money is not an issue; otherwise go with LG.

Boky
Thanks for the suggestion, Boky, I'll have to check them out.

·
Registered
86 Posts
If you are looking for an LCD CCFL, the Samsung 40 LN40D630 is a nice little set.

I have last year's 46 LN46C630 (same model, just the 2010 version), and it has performed very well for me. I have experienced good screen uniformity so far, a problem many edge-lit LEDs have been having. Contrast and color reproduction has been very good, and it was a very well-reviewed set on CNET last year. Word of warning, it does not have internet features, but if you plan to play a blu-ray player, you can easily get an internet-connectable one and solve that problem.

Shop around and decide what you like, TV shopping can be a fun experience if you are into it.

·
Registered
27 Posts
We scored a great deal on an LG 42LK450 and have been watching it nonstop since it arrived a week ago. It's a great TV. We also bought an LG Blu-Ray with wireless built in to access Netflix streaming.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
After a little research, I'm really gravitating towards the Panasonic VIERA TC-L42E3 42-Inch. It seemed pointless to go with the 37 inch since the 42 is roughly only about $70 more. What do you guys think about this TV?

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dark_Planet /forum/post/20833379

The D30 is better than the E3 and comes in 42'' size.

Yes, but it's also much more expensive. I can't imagine there's much of a difference in quality between the two.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
After a little more thought and analysis, I think I might go with a 40' TV. Although, since there's a little more to choose from in the 40' range, it's even harder to pick what's right.

Any suggestions? I'm just looking for a great TV to watch movies, without and 3D capabilities. Pretty simple.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Well I think I've decided to go with the LG Infinia 42LV5500 42-Inch. It seems like it's got everything I'm looking for, plus you can get it on amazon for under $800!

·
Registered
86 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by CharDar /forum/post/20911016

Well I think I've decided to go with the LG Infinia 42LV5500 42-Inch. It seems like it's got everything I'm looking for, plus you can get it on amazon for under $800!

Solid choice. Those sets are solid and are priced very competitively. You should be pretty happy with it.

Enjoy your new TV!

·
Registered
3 Posts
I'm also looking for a new TV and have also come to two choices, one being the Lv5500 which Chad purchased by Lg and the other Panasonic TC-L42D30.

I will be using either of the two as a monitor for my Gaming PC and 360. I currently am using a older model 37" Vizio only 720p, so i do know that either of these will be a huge step up. I really want to know what is the best bang for your buck between the two and why.

Since I'm using the tv as a monitor for a pc and console i will not be using the wifi or any of the apps so these are no added bonuses and neither would 3d hence why i did not choose a 3d tv.

My main concern is the picture quality, contrast, flickering, reliability etc. Both are available on Amazon for about 100$ difference.

MY last question is if there are any other tv's under 900$ that beat these two?

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
I got the TV... it came in 2 days with free shipping! So far everything seems very good, although the TruMotion is a little odd with TV and Movies, but I could see how it's good with Video Games or maybe Sports.

Right now I'm trying to figure out how to play movies through the Nero MediaHome 4 program. It will play MP3, but the device disconnects when I try to play any sort of video from my computer. Anyone have any ideas?

1 - 16 of 16 Posts