AVS Forum banner
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
60 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello!

I've been playing with wireless switches over the last few years, but want to take this to the next step. I've been trying to research various systems, but I'm getting confused, so I thought I'd ask some of you experts :)

1. My bathroom doesn't have a lightswitch, just 2 wall lamps on either side of the mirror that turn on from a switch. I'd like to get 2 wireless lightbulbs to be controlled by 1 wireless switch. I've seen there are wireless "cups" that screw into the sockets, where regular bulbs screw into those, but they aren't ideal as the bulbs would come outside the fixtures. So, wireless bulbs would be best.

2. More simple and less important- for both the bedroom and living room I currently have the lamps wired to a wireless switch in each room. I'd love to change the setup to add additional switches with dimmers. (In the past I've attached a CFL approved dimmer to a splitter, to the lamps; and attached to the wireless receiver, but they always burn out after some time and cause the bulbs to make weird noise.. not good) So I'd like a cleaner setup.

- Cosmetically, I want something that resembles a normal light switch, nothing like a keychain remote =P

- Would be cool to have the same system for all rooms that I could add onto in the future, but if there is a cheap "one off" solution for each room, that's definitely more ideal.

- I looked into Insteon which appear to have attractive looking fixtures and such, but it's a bit pricey.

Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated! Thanks!

·
Registered
10,873 Posts
Rent or own? Any access above the bathroom (attic)? If so, cheapest would be to run romex from the fixtures to a wall switch... ~$20 in wire and old work box plus your time/labor.

·
Registered
6,096 Posts
If it's truly an upgrade, then the landlord would appreciate the work.

·
Registered
10,873 Posts
I suggested the labor-only method because you mentioned Insteon as being "pricey". If those prices scared you, I'm afraid there's no wireless solution that will meet your goal...

·
Registered
3,067 Posts
My wife wanted some bedside tables with lights. She said, "A wireless remote would be kinda cool."

A Vera 3, a dozen or so z-wave modules, Ecobee t-stat, and $1000 later . . . I wonder if she realizes it was all her fault! ;)

On topic . . . what is your budget, OP? Insteon is probably gonna be the cheapest (X10 aside). Lowes has their Iris sysem, but you're talking a couple hundred bucks. The GE Link or Wink stuff will probably be close to that. Philips Hue, similar.

Something like this could work, but you're talking more about table lamps, rather than sconces. I had something like that for my desk lamp in college, cheap and effective. I don't know of anything in that realm that could do what you're asking.

·
Registered
19 Posts
Hi There,

Im using a low end PC for a main server approximatly €200-€300.
To add I only use voice recognition as the goto app - There is no need to swap between multi different apps to control things as voxwav sends commands mapped to the RFXTRXCom outlined below this would occur if you were buying one off different remote lights, sockets etc!

On that I run:
- VoxWav - Free for trial (upgrade to allow unlimited commands) software for Voice control.
- Primary additional hardware via USB is the RFXTrxCom 433Mhz Transciever.
This is compatible with a HUGE range of products! lights sockets blinds thermostats etc
- EventGhost
- Other software runs here e.g. TV Tuner etc.

Devices around the house
===================
- For Lamps and power sockets I use - Home Easy Sockets - 3 for about €30.
- For Wall light switches I use - LightwaveRF these are also paired with the RFXTRXCom - approximate cost each ar €38 - €70 depending on double or single gang etc. They are available in different surounds e.g. Chrome black white etc. And have a nice small amber or blue LED for finding them in the dark. :)

- For Home Theatre control i.e. turning on many devices at same time with one command.
PC runs as the home theatre with XBMC/Kodi on this PC there is an IR Blaster and Eventghost aswell.
WHen I either say Turn on Home Theatre (then communicates to VoxWav on main server which fires evntghost to send a wake on lan) OR scan an NFC tag (triggers another android Wake on lan) or any other way I might want to do it. It sends a Wake on Lan to this PC in turn once loaded Eventghost fires a command to the IR BLaster (trainable) which turns on the Amp, Drops the screen and fires up projector.

All this by far was the cheapest solution and project for me. It very reliable and im not stuck into any one supplier.

I also use Tasker on the Mobile phone - AutoRemote (for turning on outside and hall lights when I get inside a certain location perimiter from the house)

You may need to look up a fair deal of tutorials etc on getting things paired and up and running

Hope this helps
Nick

·
Registered
2,694 Posts
If it's truly an upgrade, then the landlord would appreciate the work.
Not necessarily. When the equipment in each apartment is the same you can get away with stocking a standard set of parts. One type of tap cartridge for example fits all the kitchen taps in the building. You require one set of tools, one method of install/repair.
Meanwhile, specialized equipment requires specialized maintenance and repair. It ends up costing more.

·
Registered
6,096 Posts
Not necessarily. When the equipment in each apartment is the same you can get away with stocking a standard set of parts. One type of tap cartridge for example fits all the kitchen taps in the building. You require one set of tools, one method of install/repair.
Meanwhile, specialized equipment requires specialized maintenance and repair. It ends up costing more.
Good point, generally, but we're talking Romex and a hardwired light switch - nothing out of the ordinary.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts