AVS Forum banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
836 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I will say that the projector im wanting Needs to be under $2000, and I know thats not going to be a perfect projector, but im wanting a projector that will produce a large image for the new house we will be moving into that has a large basement.

also all of the dvds I have are widescreen letterbox format , or enhanced 16 by 9 format,

And I also want colors to be good , I was readign somewhere that alot of projectors dont prouce the black very well , I am rather picky on the picture of my movie, so if home theater projectors arent very clear, perhapes they arent for me

but i would find it kool to see saruman and gandalf from lord of the rings fighting on my wall being the same size as I am

thanks guys

·
Registered
264 Posts
I purchased the NEC LT240K unit and after rebate just over $2k. NEC support rated #1, Projector Central gave it a great review. I have it showing on a large piece of blackout material until I save up enough for a motorized screen. one word of advice is not to go cheap on the cables. I went cheap to save money and I had to tear them out and replace with better, ghosting problems.

·
Registered
4,477 Posts
How big is the room and how big a screen do you want? DLP projectors have better blacks, but LCD projectors have high resolution at this price (720p). You should also go to best buy and look at infocus x1 to find out if you see rainbows with DLP projectors (they use 1 chip and a wheel to produce colors instead of three chips like LCD).

The LCD choice at that price range is the sanyo Z2. Nec 240k is a nice DLP projector.

read the recommended projector list at www.projectorcentral.com

·
Registered
264 Posts
I do agree about the rainbows. The NEC has a sealed light path so there is not a dust issue like some of the LCD's on the market. It sucks taking the projector down and sending it to service to be cleaned, had to do with a previous Sharp unit. Also note the cost of a mount and replacement lamps into your budget.

·
Premium Member
13,879 Posts
You need to research, and if possible demo. The people here can help and offer suggestions, but in the end you need to be an informed consumer or you risk being an unhappy one.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.