AVS Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
1,165 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Just got word from Telemann that new drivers should be in my hands by May 16. They are an official release, as I understand. No word yet on what the new software will include.

Also no word on when (if) more cards will be coming out of Telemann.

I have been away from this site (traveling) for the past month, and I am surprised by how little had changed. Is it me, or is the HTPC world slowing down a bit?? I don't see a lot of new products or ideas coming out recently.

Bob

[This message has been edited by bpearse (edited 05-11-2001).]

·
Registered
485 Posts
Hooray! That's great news. Just in time for the X-Files season finale in widescreen (now if only Fox would do HD... but I digress.)

Quote:
I have been away from this site (traveling) for the past month, and I am surprised by how little had changed. Is it me, or is the HTPC world slowing down a bit?? I don't see a lot of new products or ideas coming out recently.[/b]
Yeah, it is slowing down some, but on the other hand, maybe it's just because our PCs are coming close to doing what we need them to do. DVD playback is more or less solid for most folks now, we have high-quality audio, we have HD recording, we have scaling of external sources, we have remote-control automation, and we have jukeboxes. In short, all the stuff people were clamoring for a couple years ago has arrived. Obviously there's still room for improvement and innovation, but I think it's now possible to be satisfied with what an HTPC can do.

·
Registered
6,227 Posts
Steve,

I think its great that we are nearly there but there are sime pices of the puzzel that still bug me... High quality brooktree based input card probably being number one...

I love the fact that this place seems to be on top of things when it comes to the finishing touches, like case design, LCD / VFD screen integration... the rest is just gravy !!

------------------

[email protected]
HTPC without using windows... GUI Front Ends for Home Theater

·
Registered
227 Posts
Less time spent these days tackling HTPC issues, more time enjoying DTV :)

I might have to try those new hipix drivers when they come out

·
Registered
1,165 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
OK. I did notice one change after being gone so long. We added cute pictures to the address lines. I won't comment on my thoughts of how much value is being added by this new addition.... http://www.avsforum.com/ubb/wink.gif

·
Registered
462 Posts
I'd like to second the news from bpearse. I also got word from Telemann that new drivers SHOULD be ready wednesday the 16th. No word on what's new with this release, but I'm certainly excited to get my hands on it and give it a spin.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Considering the amount of griping that the few early-adopter customers did, it seems like their priorities are in the right place! If persistent hi-def HTPC fanatics aren't able to get the card working, I doubt that the card is ready for prime time.

By the way, the pictures in the address line are creepy. http://www.avsforum.com/ubb/smile.gif

·
Registered
462 Posts
Well, todays the day, but Telemann's site has no upgrade and I have not heard from Telemann via email like they said I would.

Anyone have news on the new HiPix drivers that were supposed to be released today?

·
Registered
2,961 Posts
Quote:
Originally posted by Bill Gaw2:
Where can the Hi-Pix be purchased now and how long does it take to get the card?
Bill,

Get on Digital Connection's backorder list which Cliff stopped at 300 people because Telemann only produced 120 cards last December (which DC sold immediatley).

Then,

Someday Telemann may produce more cards and then you get to spend a month cussing trying to get it to work right.

You will succeed but is it worth the hassle?

I should know, I was one of the 120 owner's.

Do yourself a favor - get the accessDTV card. You can have it in 2 days and it works perfectly right out of the box and has a LOT more functionality.

Joe

·
Registered
227 Posts
I would love to get the AccessDTV card but the only thing preventing me is the issue of not being able to record on one card and play on another.

To me, that is very annoying and they should fix that. Until then, I will keep using the hipix -- it's stable on my system and works fine.

I would love pause/rew/ff on playback. Hopefully it's coming.

·
Registered
485 Posts
Yeah, I agree. As soon as someone cracks the encryption on AccessDTV recordings I'll probably switch to that, unless there's some encouraging motion on the HiPix front.

There're still just over two hours left in May 16 on the west coast so maybe they'll make their release date after all. http://www.avsforum.com/ubb/smile.gif

·
Registered
1,165 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
The new drivers arrived by email today. Email me and I will forward to you if you want. Contrary to my original expectations, these are beta release (at least in name). So you may want to wait until I have tested them out.

Bob

1 - 14 of 14 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.