AVS Forum banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 20 of 119 Posts

·
Registered
13,423 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
New HiPix DTV-200 software posted for download.

Digital Connection has posted a new version of the HiPix DTV-200 software and drivers (v2.31) at www.digitalconnection.com under Support, Drivers and Patches.

Telemann decided to release this intermediate version instead of the planned version 4.0 due to excessive 3rd party software licensing cost. This version includes all new features and bug fixes intended for 4.0 with the exception of one.

[ New features.]

1. OSD -- HD-TV On screen display about input mode, channel, signal strength etc.

2. HD visual control (Contrast/Brightness/Saturation).

The application can control contrast/brightness/Saturation of the HD output of HiPix card.

The buttons are located in set-up menu.

3. Dynamic File Searching

In the file mode, when the file playing reaches to the end of the last file

in the indexed files, driver code searches 160 more files.

When some played files are deleted, driver code can detect and update

the list of the file playing.

This function is for the user who is using the digital camcoder as a

backup device for the HD stream.

4. Add an option to check disk space in the record form.

My observations;

1.) The on-screen OSD in HD mode is excellent except for one feature that needs to be corrected. When recording a “REC†is displayed in the upper left corner of the screen for the duration of the recording. With CRT burn-in this is not a good idea and I’ll have to give John Kim a hard time about it.

2.) The visual (color) controls for Contrast, Brightness, and Saturation are an excellent addition that allows the exact control of RGB clipping, voltage levels and the resulting increase in visual quality.

The color controls have a default value of 127 for all three controls and are perfect at the default settings for component (YPbPr) output. The Y output at defaults is;

Y output = 1010 mV, peak-to-peak (Y-Luma = +710 mV, Y-Sync = -300 mV)

The default color controls settings for RGB are high and require minor adjustment.

Default RGB scoped values;

Red = 800 mV

Green = 765 mV

Blue = 775

Scope adjusted RGB values (Contrast reduced to 109, all others at default of 127)

Red = 740 mV

Green = 710 mV

Blue = 720 mV

Using the adjusted Contrast of 109 I then scoped the component (YPbPr) output of a Key Digital transcoder at 1035 mV p-p (Y-Luma=+720 mV, Y-Sync=-315 mV).

The above values were tested on a Hitachi Ultravision Digital HDTV monitor at 1080i and produced an awesome image with great colors.

3.) Dynamic File Searching was not tested by me. I understand from others that it work and it works very well.

Have fun with the new software. :D

·
Registered
574 Posts
I'm going to give them a try right now!!! Thanks Cliff.

Brian:)

·
Registered
574 Posts
Cliff,

My first impression of the new software is, wow!

However, after using it for a few minutes I've had a lot of problems.

For one, after rescanning the channels, if I just slowly click thu them the software locks up my machine fairly consistently about the second time around.

I also have received an error: Run time error '28', and later Run time error '6', and then the machine locked up both times. I have tried reloading the software, but no luck. I hope this is related to installation because I was really looking forward to this release.

Win98SE, ATI 7093 drivers, no conflicts, worked great with last version dated 7-16-01.

Brian

·
Registered
2,961 Posts
Quote:
Originally posted by Cliff Watson
New HiPix DTV-200 software posted for download.

[ New features.]

3. Dynamic File Searching

This function is for the user who is using the digital camcoder as a backup device for the HD stream.

Cliff,

I know these release notes are from Telemann and not you but let's not slight those of us that are NOT using a camcorder:)

The DFS functions works perfectly with any backup/restore system that can maintain 2.4 MB/s.

As you know, many of us are using 4mm DDS-4 DAT drives and the 2.4 Beta that I have had for well over a month works like a champ with my Dat drive with the DFS mod.

When you talk to Mr. Kim regarding that nutty REC display could you also please ask him to make the release notes more general in this area please?

I can see folks being turned away because they will think that a camcorder is the ONLY way to use this.

Thanks,

Joe

·
Registered
547 Posts
wow, great job guys,

I will try this out as soon as possible.

joe q,

"The DFS functions works perfectly with any backup/restore system that can maintain 2.4 MB/s. "

is this real time backup similtanously as you are watching the program or you have to record it on the hard drive first before backing up to tap?

can you please give us a list of some inexpensive backup systems that will work with this. the dat dds system is a bit too expensive for me right now. thanks

seng

·
Registered
574 Posts
Well,

I'm back to the DC version "HiPix 2.3, driver date 7-16-01 for ATI DVD player", as I have it saved locally - my problems are now gone and back to normal stability.

I'm wondering if total Radeon compatability is not complete as well - however, ver 2.3 driver date 7-16-01 is very stable, though it lacks B/C/S.

Oh well, lets see if anyone else has issues with it.

Brian

·
Registered
2,961 Posts
Quote:
Originally posted by adaseng
joe q,

"The DFS functions works perfectly with any backup/restore system that can maintain 2.4 MB/s. "

can you please give us a list of some inexpensive backup systems that will work with this. the dat dds system is a bit too expensive for me right now. thanks

seng
The only one I investigated this past summer was a 4mm dat drive.

I do NOT own a camcorder and was not interested in buying one just for use with DVtools.

You can get a DDS4 drive on Ebay for under $600 as that is about what I paid for a brand new, external SONY SDT-11000. I don't consider that very expensive.

It also does double duty as a true computer backup device and is MUCH simpler to use than DVtools and a camcorder.

Used ones go for less.

You can also use either DDS-3 or DDS-4 tapes depending upon program length. With careful bidding on Ebay, you can get these tapes for very good prices.

[Edit] - oops I missed your first question. You record to the hard disk and then backup to tape. Then you can delete the disk space.

Later when you want to watch the program, you start the restore and as soon as the first minute file is restored, you start the Hipix and point it at that file.

Joe

·
Registered
13,423 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
â€However, after using it for a few minutes I've had a lot of problems.â€

Brian,

To me it sounds like “operator errorâ€. :D

I’ve had no problems with WinME and this is the procedure use to upgrade the software and drivers.

1.) Uninstall the old software player

2.) Delete the old Telemann INF file from Windows/Inf/Other folder

3.) Remove the old Janus, WDM Video Capture driver in Device Manager

4.) Reboot the PC and when Windows finds the hardware point to the new drivers folder to install, reboot computer and check driver for version 2.31 (driver must be the same version as the software).

5.) Install the new software and reboot.

Following the above procedure the new version used my old settings and I didn’t have to rescan the channels. Give this a try. Good luck.

â€When you talk to Mr. Kim regarding that nutty REC display could you also please ask him to make the release notes more general in this area please?â€

Joe, Will do.

â€___Can I assume the one bug missed is the total Radeon compatibility?â€

Wayne,

You do know what happens when you “assume†anything? ;)

Actually the Radeon bug fix is in this release and the missing one is a feature, not a bug.

·
Registered
2,961 Posts
Quote:
Originally posted by brian_vh

I'm wondering if total Radeon compatability is not complete as well - however, ver 2.3 driver date 7-16-01 is very stable, though it lacks B/C/S.

Oh well, lets see if anyone else has issues with it.

Brian
Brian,

I have a Radeon 64MB SDR AGP card and the Hipix 2.4 Beta works fine on my system.

I am not using that DVD feature since 1) I get a filter graph error when I tried it for yucks and 2) I have a MUCH better SW DVD player which the Hipix doesn't recognize anyway.

I am using Windows 2000 though.

I have not tried the version that Cliff has posted but I assume it is the same as the one I have been using.

The only issue I have found is that once in a blue moon, when I have a scheduled recording setup, the Hipix launches but hangs my machine. Out of 30 scheduled recordings, it has done this exactly 3 times.

Joe

·
Registered
574 Posts
Cliff,

Thanks for the quick response and detailed steps. However, all of the steps listed are standard operating procedure and I had done exactly that, three times, prior to writing the first time as I wanted to be sure that it wasn't a stupid installation mishap. There is definitely something wrong, or something conficting with the Hipix now, as the last version works just fine without conflict or locking up - it is an easy test to fully uninstall, as you listed, and then reinstall the 2.31 driver to notice the problems. I will continue to investigate.

Thanks again for the quick help, Brian.

·
Registered
4,182 Posts
So far, the HiPix update looks and works great on my Windows XP computer (using the 2.31 Windows 2000 drivers). I uninstalled the application, did a 'driver update' in the Device Manager, and installed the new application. Best settings for me, so far, are Brightness=127 (default), Contrast=109, Saturation=95. With these adjustments, the HiPix S-video input looks good enough that I may just stop using the Cybermail/DScaler setup for analog sources like laser discs, since it would be much easier to manage.

Thanks, Telemann and DC! :)

My equipment setup:

Pentium III-700/Asus P2B motherboard/256MB PC-100 RAM

Antec KS780B case with Antec PP253X power supply

Windows XP Pro fresh install

(2) Western Digital 45GB 5400 RPM hard drives with DMA enabled/UDMA-33

Toshiba 1402 DVD-ROM drive with DMA enabled

Elsa Gladiac MX video board with 920x500 and 600x450 resolutions/Win XP included drivers

Guillemot Fortissimo sound board/Win XP included drivers

Telemann HiPix HDTV board

Linksys 10/100 network board

Cybermail video capture board

Sony SDP-E800 Dolby processor

Sony KP61HS10 rear-projection monitor

·
Registered
574 Posts
Cliff,

Two observations before I list my equipment. First, when going thru the HiPix Win98 installation it always prompts for the Win98 disk to find a bunch of files. If I choose to let it, I have the problems. If I don't and I try to browse and find the files, they aren't in any of the standard locations 'windows or windows/system' and I have to use the CD anyhow. I kind of remember an issue when the Hipix first came out, and I can't remember if we were supposed to allow it to use the Windows CD or not.

Secondly, after going thru the uninstall and reinstall again, I decided to 'reinstall' the DirectX drivers over the new 2.31 install - DirectX 8.0a to be exact. Things are much better now - and I find that things are much more stable now. The only issue that still remains comes when I change channels over a certain channel (actually when clicking across 2 subchannels), this is when the software locks up. However, if I do not cross those channels, everything works great. Fortunately, the channel that causes issues do not broadcast HD, only 480, so I'm happy. I'll probably end up just removing it from the list.

The PQ difference with Constrast lowered is phenomenal! I'm rewatching recorded 'Visions of Italy' right now - amazing.

Win98SE

Intel D815EEA MB

512 MB RAM

M-Audio Delta DIO 24/96 sound card with 4.1.22.27 drivers

Radeon LE - Bios flashed, all else stock and using 7093 drivers

Toshiba SD 1402 DVD drive

HP 9100 CDwriter

IBM 30gig and 75 gig drives

Thanks for your help, Brian.

·
Banned
3,772 Posts
I had good luck with Win98SE & Radeon LE

v2.31 installed no problem and runs fine.

Brightness=130

Contrast=116

Saturation=100

looks nice on my display.

·
Registered
69 Posts
I'm very happy that Telemann released this version early, but I'm also very disappointed. I was hoping that Contrast adjustment could fix the 1080i problem, where the fields are too close together. But no amount of adjustment fixes it.

Also I was disappointed that the Brightness/Contrast/Saturation adjustments aren't accessable through the OSD. Even worse, I can't adjust them using the keyboard, and adjusting them with the mouse quantizes into steps of 3 and 2. Sure, I assume I could adjust it in steps of 1 through the registry, but definately not in real time.

What I do notice is that if I switch to YPbPr output, the interlaced fields space out perfectly (but of course, the colors are all wrong on my monitor, since it's interpreting it as RGB input). I wonder if there would be some way to "borrow" the sync from YPbPr mode and use it in RGB mode?

·
Registered
13,423 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
Qubit,

Have you ever tried the HiPix on a real HDTV monitor (RGB or YPbPr) and/or a projector in RGB mode?

I have never seen the problems you are posting in this thread or the other one with the HiPix or ADTV cards on several PC monitors and HDTVs/projectors.

I question the quality of your monitor if you can see scan lines on a RGB monitor when feeding it a component signal. Also you are totally wrong about the RGB output being only 16 bits. If it were 16-bit color you would have 100s of owners complaining about the video quality in this forum.

·
Registered
9,884 Posts
Quote:
The only issue that still remains comes when I change channels over a certain channel (actually when clicking across 2 subchannels), this is when the software locks up. However, if I do not cross those channels, everything works great. Fortunately, the channel that causes issues do not broadcast HD, only 480, so I'm happy. I'll probably end up just removing it from the list.
Brian -

I have a WinTV-HD card and so probably don't belong in this thread. However the moment I saw your quote above I checked your city. I'm in Southfield MI and have painfully learned not to try to look at Detroit ABC-HD sub-channels. My system will hang.

Is that the station by any chance? If so, back when it was working it was just a towercam and a weather map. And my main ABC HD channel comes in fine.

- Tom

1 - 20 of 119 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.