Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi,

My Hitachi 51S700 arrived yesterday. It looks great with DVD's, but SDTV sometimes appears out of focus and blurry. I haven't yet setup my HTDV antenna. I have three theories on the issue:

1. I'm sitting too close to the TV (It's too big for my room). I'm approximately 8' from the screen. Am I too close so SDTV looks bad?

2. I need to tweak/calibrate the TV. I've done the Magic Focus and played with the settings a bit, but haven't done all the tweaks here on the forums.

3. That's just the way it is. Maybe 51" is just exposing all of the defects in an SDTV signal.

If it matters, my SDTV source is a DirecTivo.

Any help that anyone can provide is appreciated. I don't think that I can live with it like this...if I can't fix it, I hope CC will take it back!

-Andy

·
Registered
330 Posts
Quote:
Originally posted by ajlevine
Hi,

My Hitachi 51S700 arrived yesterday. It looks great with DVD's, but SDTV sometimes appears out of focus and blurry. I haven't yet setup my HTDV antenna. I have three theories on the issue:

1. I'm sitting too close to the TV (It's too big for my room). I'm approximately 8' from the screen. Am I too close so SDTV looks bad?

Morning Andy. Sitting distance depends on who you talk to. 8ft sounds about right for Hi Def. A clean SDTV signal will look fantastic at the same distance, unfortunately DirecTV and Dish is rarely better than mediocre. One thing that might help is ditching the s-video cable and going with composite through Hitachi's excellent comb filter.

2. I need to tweak/calibrate the TV. I've done the Magic Focus and played with the settings a bit, but haven't done all the tweaks here on the forums.

Yep, greyscale is almost guaranteed to be out of whack.

3. That's just the way it is. Maybe 51" is just exposing all of the defects in an SDTV signal.

It has more to do with low quality of overcompressed satellite feeds.

If it matters, my SDTV source is a DirecTivo.

Source is King. C-band, OTA or good local cable would be better. Can you do without the TIVO?

Any help that anyone can provide is appreciated. I don't think that I can live with it like this...if I can't fix it, I hope CC will take it back!

-Andy

·
Registered
174 Posts
At least do the magic focus and then touch that up. Then play around with the color decoder and color managment and tint from the regular user menus if you see problems with the fleshtones etc. Turn the contrast down to at least 50. Really though most of the Directtv channels just look crappy, on my 57 they still don't look too good at 12 feet. They are just plain blocky/fuzzy cuz of the compression. SD on OTA should look VERY good. HDTV should look fantastic. Don't judge the tv till you see some OTA hdtv on it. I remember plugging mine in the first time and just pulling in some old NTSC stuff off the antenna and going "geez this is horrible!", then was able to get one hdtv on fy original crummy antenna and then went 'ohhhhh now I get it"....Frenchy

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Quote:
Originally posted by McTNN
One thing that might help is ditching the s-video cable and going with composite through Hitachi's excellent comb filter.
I did that, and it seems to have helped a bit. What other settings are likely to exacerbate the Tivo signal problems? I've tried playing with the edge enhancement and black enhancement.

Quote:
Yep, greyscale is almost guaranteed to be out of whack.
I bought Digital Video Essentials today, and will see if that helps me. Should I just use DVE, or should I also try the tweaks on here?

Quote:
Can you do without the TIVO?
No way! Three kids and a wife. My TV watching must be flexible...

Thanks for the help,

Andy

1 - 4 of 4 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.