AVS Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
186 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Exactly 2 weeks in the living room, and the set is toast. (This is a little bit rant-y at the moment even though I took a day to "cool down"; so stay tuned as to the resolution)

After a late night of watching my first Superbit title (5th Element, go figure!) and marveling at how much I dig my new 467, the next AM there was a power outage (leftover Isabel winds blamed). The set was off anyhow, I've got it plugged into what's supposed to be a decent Panamax surge protector/filter, and I've never had issues with anything else in the house after the occasional power failure around here, so I didn't give it a second thought as I went to work. Anyway, I come home from work later that day and fire up the set, when the following happens:

- Starts the normal "bootup", where the lamp comes on and the color wheel starts to spin up it's Jetsonian whirrrrrr

- but that whir quickly dies off, and attempts to start again; and then again.

- third attempt at spin-up, the whir turns into a squealy strangled loose-fanbelt kind of whine, and a pit forms in my stomach.

- I try to hit the power button on the remote; no response. As the whirring continues, the screen looks like the lamp is on, but pulsing a bit like the color wheel isn't up to speed; which matches the sound.

- after an interminable 15 seconds of squealing, it sounds like it starts spinning up (could be spinning down, but sounds like up). I falsely feel relief, and wait for the picture to show up. It never does.

- Single light blinking - the middle "Lamp" one, manual calls it "Standby" mode. Trying to turn it off by remote doesn't respond, though the top light that indicates it gets the signal flashes appropriately. Doesn't respond to any buttons, remote or on the side panel.

- As I'm looking in the manual to see if there's any mention of this sort of thing, the middle light stops blinking. Still no picture. I try changing the input source; no response to the remote buttons (except the top light flash). Finally I try "power", and after it's customary moment, it powers down. The fan is still going for a little while, but that eventually powers down too.

Anyway, my next action was to turn to AVS Forum. :)

Plenty of hits on "blinking light", but always "three", and that's not what I get. "tortured whine" (among others) doesn't yield anything either. I did uncover the "reboot" unplug-it-for-a-while procedure; didn't help.

My first phone call was to Crutchfield tech support (late on Friday night by this point) to see what they recommend (and to at least alert them that I'm having a problem in case I need to exchange the thing) -- he recommends leaving it unplugged overnight then calling Samsung to see if there's an easy fix; and call him back if I want to start an exchange.

So, Sat. AM, still the same problem. I call Samsung, the rep apologizes for the inconvenience of having a problem with the set and gives me a number for the tech supposedly in my area (foreshadowing...).

I call the tech. "I hear those sets look pretty good" (okay, so he's never seen one. Joy). "Where are you located?" I tell him; he says "You'll have to call 1-800-Samsung, you're out of my range." 30 miles is out of his range? "They'll have to call me and offer me extra mileage." I have to make that call to have them call you??

Call back 1-800 (at least hold times are low on a Sat. AM), told the rep that the service tech refused service, said I was too far, and asked what my next steps were. He looks him up and says "that's not that far; please hold". Comes back and tells me someone from corporate will call him and "tell him he has to" come out fix the set; but there's nobody to do that "Early next week".

Next thing I go look at is Crutchfield's site to see if they still have any 467's in stock before I call them back to ask them to swap this thing out. Sure enough. No. So I figure it'll be at least as long to wait for an inexperienced (with DLP) and possibly hostile (after getting a "push" from Samsung) tech to order parts and shotgun a solution as it will to wait for new stock to show up and get delivered and face a possible restocking & shipping fee* because I don't still have the box it came in. And what happens if the new set chokes too? I have to go through it all over again?

(* haven't called them yet, so I don't know if that's true; there's just the possibility based on their return policy)

Anyway, nothing will start happening until Monday whatever I do, so I take the time to sleep on it and make a decision.

So today I'm going to call Crutchfield and find out details about the exchange, including costs, availability, etc. I'm even considering upgrading to a 567 if that will get me a set faster and it doesn't cost me more than the price difference (the 467 shipped very very quickly and ahead of schedule). If that doesn't come out to my satisfaction, then I'm going to see how the tech service plays out; if the wait time flirts dangerously with the balance of my 30 days with Crutchfield, then I revisit my decision one more time.

Oh well. Serves me right. I bought one of those Jag X-Types too after researching all the potential problems because I was so enamoured with it's good points, just like the Samsung. But at least I can still drive the X-Type when those issues crop up. Last night I had to actually read a book instead of watching my newly-delivered Superbit Lawrence of Arabia! :( (actually, ;) )

Anyway, I'll update the saga as events unfold to see whether I have a satisfactory experience or not. If anyone has a service manual, and inside connection, or prior experience with this problem, please let me know what the solution was so I can at least make sure the tech plays it straight (if I continue down that path)!

·
Registered
186 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
First update in the saga.

Called Crutchfield, they're more than willing to exchange it at no cost to me, however, the next available date for 467s are Oct 2nd. And no word at all on when 567s will show up. Plenty of 437s and 617s though. He let me know I've got plenty of time to decide on how I want to proceed, so I will see what transpires with the local tech. I'm half-tempted to see if I can stuff a 617 in here... ;) I guess if I don't want to ever use my woodstove again... decisions....

Anyway, excellent, sympathetic help on the Crutchfield tech line. I feel like I'm some sort of shill the way I keep talking them up... :)

More to follow.

·
Coyote Waits
27,302 Posts
Your surge protector may be dead too. Many of them give up their life at the first surge.

·
Registered
186 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Thanks for the advice on the surge protector, I'll check it closely. It seems okay (halfway decent panamax with various indicator lights). I'll probably just spring for a real line conditioner if it will save me going through this headache again.

And about banking more on Crutchfield, spot-on there as well. Though Samsung seems to be really trying, it's just the local guy who doesn't want to come out. He said "Samsung can be difficult to deal with"; though in my experience, the guy who won't drive 19 miles (okay, that's "as the crow flies", but still) rates slightly higher on the "difficult to deal with" scale at this point.

Anyway, the update is that there _is_ a batch of 567's at Crutchfield now, so I told Samsung they can stop calling around this time, and Crutchfield's putting one on a truck for me ASAP. Last time it only took them 4 days; I'm keeping my fingers crossed that I can watch my new Superbit Lawrence of Arabia on Saturday night! ;)

And I know what to expect if I have to go through all this again. That's what I get for living in the "boonies".

1 - 5 of 5 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.