AVS Forum banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
31 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am having a new home built. I am a network guy by trade so I always told myself if I ever built a house I would definitely install structured wiring for my network (CAT6 for my LAN and HDMI and COAX for video). I am still going over my plans but at the minimum each room will have a COAX and two RJ45(CAT6).

I started researching the audio part and WOW. My brain hurts.

I think all I need is 4 zones.
ZONE 1 Living Room - I am planning on some type of ceiling mounted surround sound system for the entertainment system.

ZONE 2 Downstairs Patio - Just one speaker to listen to music while we drink beer and grill.

ZONE 3 Master Bedroom - I would like the ability to listen to what ever we are watching on TV or play music.

ZONE 4 Upstairs Covered Balcony - Just one speaker to listen to tunes while I sip on my morning coffee and look at the view.

I would like remote controls for each zone and for each zone to be independent of the other.

Is there a way to install the system in the area where I am terminating my CAT6 and COAX (Garage). I wasn't sure if I could install the AV RCVR in the distribution panel as long as I had the proper termination jacks near the Entertainment system.

Your help is greatly appreciated.

Mike

·
Registered
10,873 Posts
(ask the mods to move your thread to the Home A/V Distribution forum)

1) Install stereo speakers (pair) in any area larger than a powder room or not shaped like a hallway.

2) Pre-wire everywhere. You'll never get another chance.

3) Structured wiring enclosure should be placed in a closet somewhere 'central' in the house if at all possible. Garage is not ideal because of the environment.

4) A four-zone system will cross you into the "whole house audio" (WHA) system category. Lots of threads to read in the A/V Distribution forum.

5) Read the "Wiring Your New Home Wiki" over at Cocoontech. Twice. When your head stops hurting, ask more questions.

Jeff

·
Registered
4,968 Posts
+1 to what Jeff said, plus if you are planning on just one speaker you will have to get what's called a single stereo speaker that will accept both left and right speaker leads in one. These are commonly available for indoor in-ceiling speakers, but the only place I have seen this used for outdoor speakers are for rock speakers, potted plant speakers and the like, but not traditional outdoor speakers. It may be something to consider.

And to elaborate on Jeff's comment regarding the placement of the demarcation point (i.e. the wiring enclosure) - put it where you intend to centrally locate all of your equipment. If that's a closet - great - then put it there. But if you have another space designated for your equipment, then consider either making the panel accessible to your central equipment stack OR run a sizable (1.5" or 2") conduit between the wiring enclosure and the primary equipment location for future signal transfer.

I guess one other point....many of the HDMI over Cat-6 baluns systems use TWO SHIELDED wires for full-resolution HDMI signal transfer. Many others will work over normal twisted pair, but all but the most expensive systems use both wires. The point I am trying to make is that you should consider running a third category wire to these locations for high-speed data in addition to the two category wires that could be used for distributed video.

·
Registered
31 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by jautor  /t/1467559/new-home-audio-advice#post_23184621

Install stereo speakers (pair) in any area larger than a powder room or not shaped like a hallway.

We have a very open floor plan. The kitchen, dining, and living room are basically the same room with only an island separating them. I read somewhere that you shouldn't have zones that are not separated by walls
Quote:

Pre-wire everywhere. You'll never get another chance.
Where would I terminate or end the run
Quote:

Structured wiring enclosure should be placed in a closet somewhere 'central' in the house if at all possible. Garage is not ideal because of the environment.
This will be in the single car attached garage. The cabinet will be cooled. All of the dirty work will be done out in the two car garage aka my Man Cave so it should remain a relativity clean area.
Quote:

Read the "Wiring Your New Home Wiki" over at Cocoontech. Twice. When your head stops hurting, ask more questions.

Will do. Thanks for the info.

Mike

·
Registered
10,873 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by abernut  /t/1467559/new-home-audio-advice#post_23187125

We have a very open floor plan. The kitchen, dining, and living room are basically the same room with only an island separating them. I read somewhere that you shouldn't have zones that are not separated by walls

Zones, probably not, but that's a different question (and layout) than what I was commenting on. You said your patio/balcony would have "just one speaker" - those areas are generally better served by a stereo pair...

Larger, open-plan areas may be better served with multiple pairs (perhaps a "sub-zone") of speakers. Again, home run everything, and you can always join rooms together in a single zone, or tie multiple zones together (at the WHA system / amp level) so they operate together.
Quote:
Where would I terminate or end the run

Everything should come to one central point - if you have specific room-to-room needs, think about adding that above and beyond the home-runs.
Quote:
This will be in the single car attached garage. The cabinet will be cooled. All of the dirty work will be done out in the two car garage aka my Man Cave so it should remain a relativity clean area.

Cooled how? Fans blowing garage air through a cabinet will still bring the poor air quality (unconditioned, high humidity, dusty). I said "closet", but as TMcG said, any conditioned space will do...

Jeff

1 - 5 of 5 Posts