AVS Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Long time lurker here at AVS forum; I can't count how many times I have used the information provided by members here. I'll get right to it.

We just purchased a home that has speakers (monitor audio) built in throughout the house. As far as I can tell everything is connects by an old Pioneer Elite (2006) receiver, also there is an amplifier connected some how as well. This receiver was programmed with multiple zones included a surround sound theater.

I haven't dared to move anything to see where the cables are run, I would like to remove the receiver (its finicky and we have a home theater being installed in the basement) and just have the speakers in the walls used for music throughout the house.

Are all the speakers likely connected to the amplifier?

If I wanted to utilize a sonos connect would this be as easy as just connecting the sonos to the amplifier?

There are about 12 speakers connected throughout the house. I guess I am just looking for some thoughts before I pull the equipment!

Thanks,

Jeff

·
Registered
2,630 Posts
Long time lurker here at AVS forum; I can't count how many times I have used the information provided by members here. I'll get right to it.

We just purchased a home that has speakers (monitor audio) built in throughout the house. As far as I can tell everything is connects by an old Pioneer Elite (2006) receiver, also there is an amplifier connected some how as well. This receiver was programmed with multiple zones included a surround sound theater.
Unlikely the receiver can handle more than 2, 3 at absolute most.
I haven't dared to move anything to see where the cables are run, I would like to remove the receiver (its finicky and we have a home theater being installed in the basement) and just have the speakers in the walls used for music throughout the house.

Not likely, there is probably something between. There's also a chance the system was done wrong in the first place, if the receiver is acting finicky now.
If I wanted to utilize a sonos connect would this be as easy as just connecting the sonos to the amplifier?
Partially, but....see below.
There are about 12 speakers connected throughout the house. I guess I am just looking for some thoughts before I pull the equipment!
I have the same thought I always have in response to this kind of post/question:Hire a pro. Pay him for an hour or so of his time to act as a consultant, analyze what you have, and let you know the best way to deal with it. There are several different "right" ways to create a system like this, and many more wrong ways. There is no telling from your post what you have, someone who knows the various types of distributed systems needs to get eyes on it.

Make sure when you search for a professional that they are capable of consulting and know about the various types of distributed audio systems. That's not going to be an electrician, probably not an A/V installer who knows only what he installs. You need a level above that.

One thing to try is search out the custom install company that sells Monitor Audio and Pioneer...if they are still around. They just might have done the original installation.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thank you Jaddie, after looking tgrough the framework I have done exactly what you recommended. Even found the original company, thanks for the reply.

·
Premium Member
974 Posts

Thanks,

Jeff
If the speakers are already installed, it might be worth your time to track down the wires to see how they were installed. If all the wires go to one place and you don't mind some experimentation, you can probably get your whole house speaker system running for very little cash. Unhook all the speaker wires, and then hook them back up two wires at a time (one plus one minus). If a set of speakers work, tag them, if they are not already tagged.

You may find that the equipment you have works; if not you can buy used AVRs on ebay or craigslist that will work for what you are doing. Pioneer and others have an all stereo mode, so a seven channel amp will drive at least three sets of speakers without external amps. If the AVR is dedicated to running the speakers in the different rooms and not having to share work with a surround system, the operation gets fairly simple.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Interesting, thank you for the concise explanation. I was unaware that receivers could play all speaker connected to the surround inputs in stereo mode. Exactly why I love this forum.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts