AVS Forum banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello - I'm hoping I can get some advice from you guys who are much smarter than me. I am building a new home - it's nearly done. I've had speaker pre-wires put in the house. 5 speakers plus a bass box in living room. 2 speakers in dining room with audio control knob and 2 speakers on back porch with audio control knob.

I'm am not a crazy audiophile. I like music and nice sound - I just probably wouldn't notice what some of you notice. Costco has the SONY STR-DN840 receiver for 400. CNET gave it great reviews. I was just going to go with that as it has lots of wifi options and I like to push music from my iphone.

Here's my challenge - it only has 7 speaker inputs. I'll have 9 speakers. How do I solve? Can I hook 2 speaker pairs to one of the sets and then just use the individual audio controls for the dining room and back patio? Thank you in advance for any help you can offer.

Jeff

·
Registered
1,630 Posts
First, don't assume anyone here is smarter than you. They might know more about this than you, but that has nothing to do in with intelligence. Also, what a lot of people here hear, is just imaginary. I would give yourself more credit.

Do you want the outside music and dining room music to be the same zone. That is, when you play one, do you want the other music to be available in the same place yet controlled by a audio control knob? If so, you'll need a receiver that supports 2 zones. If you want those separate, you'll need one that does 3 zones.

I'd identify your speakers before picking your components.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
First, don't assume anyone here is smarter than you. They might know more about this than you, but that has nothing to do in with intelligence. Also, what a lot of people here hear, is just imaginary. I would give yourself more credit.

Do you want the outside music and dining room music to be the same zone. That is, when you play one, do you want the other music to be available in the same place yet controlled by a audio control knob? If so, you'll need a receiver that supports 2 zones. If you want those separate, you'll need one that does 3 zones.

I'd identify your speakers before picking your components.
Thank you for the response. That could be - well - I'll rephrase myself. You guys keep up with this stuff more than I do. I don't require multi-zones. Just one zone. Music On in living - same thing can be outside and dining room. I think the Sony receiver seems like it contains everything I need - just unsure on how to hook up the last pair of speakers. Can I hook the dining room & outside speakers to the same input? Thanks for your help.
Jeff

·
Banned
5,183 Posts
I bought one of these. Basically take your zone 2 speaker output and run it to this. Then from here wire in all your extra speakers. This will also allow you to turn those speakers on and off. Example, I'm running 3 set of speakers off one input with this. One pair in livingroom, gameroom, and outside patio. With the press of a button I can turn some zones on or off. I love it.

http://www.amazon.com/dp/B001YIV3M6/ref=pe_385040_30332190_TE_dp_1

1 - 4 of 4 Posts